Will Integrated Graphics interfere with Video Card?

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
I recently built a micro-ATX rig, just to serve as a media server type of system, as well as a Linux box to fool around with. Well today the cheap power supply that came with the case decided to die on my. While shopping around for a new power supply, I found an entire case for less, that was not a slim like my current case. I am considering buying this case (as it allows for a full size PSU) and "upgrading" my main computer by simply transferring the PSU, Video Card, and Hard Drives over into this other rig.

However, the uATX motherboard has the integrated ATI HD 4200 graphics chip, and my video card is a nVidia 8800GTS. Will I be able to transfer my video card into this other rig, or will there be issues between the 2 chips? Thanks.

You will have to select in BIOS to use the integrated chip, though I think that most systems will recognize and use the PCI card.

Also, make sure to completely delete the drivers for the HD4200. I don't know if graphics drivers for discrete and non-discrete GPUs operate the same, but make sure it's cleared.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007

Well I'd be doing a complete resintall of my OS, so drivers wouldn't be an issue. I just recall hearing something about certain features don't work if you mix nVidia and ATI, but I might just be going crazy.