Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Will Integrated Graphics interfere with Video Card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2009 12:12:58 AM

I recently built a micro-ATX rig, just to serve as a media server type of system, as well as a Linux box to fool around with. Well today the cheap power supply that came with the case decided to die on my. While shopping around for a new power supply, I found an entire case for less, that was not a slim like my current case. I am considering buying this case (as it allows for a full size PSU) and "upgrading" my main computer by simply transferring the PSU, Video Card, and Hard Drives over into this other rig.

However, the uATX motherboard has the integrated ATI HD 4200 graphics chip, and my video card is a nVidia 8800GTS. Will I be able to transfer my video card into this other rig, or will there be issues between the 2 chips? Thanks.
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
November 12, 2009 12:22:16 AM

You will have to select in BIOS to use the integrated chip, though I think that most systems will recognize and use the PCI card.

Also, make sure to completely delete the drivers for the HD4200. I don't know if graphics drivers for discrete and non-discrete GPUs operate the same, but make sure it's cleared.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2009 12:24:46 AM

shadow187 said:
You will have to select in BIOS to use the integrated chip, though I think that most systems will recognize and use the PCI card.

Also, make sure to completely delete the drivers for the HD4200. I don't know if graphics drivers for discrete and non-discrete GPUs operate the same, but make sure it's cleared.


Well I'd be doing a complete resintall of my OS, so drivers wouldn't be an issue. I just recall hearing something about certain features don't work if you mix nVidia and ATI, but I might just be going crazy.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 358 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
November 12, 2009 12:30:24 AM

Pyroflea said:
I just recall hearing something about certain features don't work if you mix nVidia and ATI, but I might just be going crazy.


Only if you try to do X-Fire on a SLI capable motherboard, or SLI on a X-Fire capable motherboard.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2009 12:31:30 AM

jaguarskx said:
Only if you try to do X-Fire on a SLI capable motherboard, or SLI on a X-Fire capable motherboard.


Alright, thank you very much.
m
0
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
November 12, 2009 12:33:01 AM

The only feature that doesn't work is PhysX, but this is getting off of what you want, and there is a workaround, but you need not worry.
m
0
l
!