Sign in with
Your question

Windows is not recoginizing new hard drives...

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
September 25, 2011 5:41:47 AM

Alright guys... I'm at my wit's end here. I'm really confused and can't get this working. :( 

I've bought a 2TB Samsung HD204UI Internal hard drive a few days ago, along with a new Western Digital Velociraptor 160GB, which I plan on using to replace my current Windows drive with, sooner or later. Just not now, because I need to do a few things with storage management first before I reinstall Windows.

So, I was real excited to put this drive in about three days ago... I unboxed it with happiness and hooked it up in my PC as I normally would (Note: I installed a new 500GB Hard drive about 6 months ago) and booted into Windows, only to find that it's not in Disk Management. So I go into Device Manager, it's there, but it's not working. It shows up under Other Devices with a yellow caution sign next to it. Properties on it says this:

"The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

There is no driver selected for the device information set or element.

To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver."

Now, I find this odd because it's an internal drive.
And it's not like this is my first SATA drive I'm installing. I have 2 other SATA drives plugged in, not counting my Windows drive.
I was really confused, and when I got to thinking, I assumed it may just be DOA... So I took it out and plugged in the Raptor. Same exact issue...
So I was thinking, possibly the port may be bad... So I moved it to a different port with no avail. So I removed my extra 500GB, and plugged it into it's slot. Same issue, no avail. So, now I'm at a loss. I've updated my BIOS, I've updated my motherboard drivers, everything I cant think of, with no avail.
The BIOS picks up both drives fine, it lists their model, make, and size fine. Same with Device Manager. They just will not show up in Disk Management or any other partitioning software. In my BIOS I have the SATA mode set to IDE. I know I've heard AHCI mode may help, but I've also heard that changing this setting after installing Windows will cause a bluescreen or can cause Windows to get corrupted. So I'm afraid to change it.

So... I'm looking for some assistance, and I'd greatly appreciate it, as I've no idea what's going on or how to resolve the issue. Like I said, I'm at my wit's end. I didn't know if this was the place to post this in, so I'm sorry if I've posted in the wrong area, please move the thread if it's not where it should be.
Thanks for reading, and thanks for any help.
Also just a quick edit: All of my hardware information is in my profile.

More about : windows recoginizing hard drives

a c 415 G Storage
September 25, 2011 7:22:54 AM

Some motherboards have two SATA controllers and if these are the first devices you're plugging into that second controller then I'm wondering if its possible that you don't have the drivers loaded for that controller or if it isn't fully enabled in the BIOS.
m
l
September 25, 2011 7:38:04 AM

sminlal said:
Some motherboards have two SATA controllers and if these are the first devices you're plugging into that second controller then I'm wondering if its possible that you don't have the drivers loaded for that controller or if it isn't fully enabled in the BIOS.

I don't think that's the case, as I said, I've put the new hard drive(s) into an existing SATA slot where a fully working hard drive is. Still nothing, though. :( 
Thanks for the suggestion.

I just don't see how that's possible when I've replaced working hard drives with these new ones and still no avail.
m
l
Related resources
September 25, 2011 8:14:49 AM

Just format the new HDD . Use the Windows install discs or some Linux disc. It will be fine. :) 
m
l
September 25, 2011 8:16:58 AM

technuttso said:
Just format the new HDD . Use the Windows install discs or some Linux disc. It will be fine. :) 

I already have, through my second PC which reads both drives fine.
Still nothing.
m
l
September 25, 2011 8:44:00 AM

"I have 2 other SATA drives plugged in, not counting my Windows drive." Starting from this:
MBR partition tables of Win 7, 32bits is limited to 2.2Tb,If you are using the JBOD configuration for HDD you may have some problems .
m
l
September 25, 2011 2:33:37 PM

technuttso said:
"I have 2 other SATA drives plugged in, not counting my Windows drive." Starting from this:
MBR partition tables of Win 7, 32bits is limited to 2.2Tb,If you are using the JBOD configuration for HDD you may have some problems .

I have barely over 1Tb on this machine, so essentially if this was the case, the Raptor should be working, no?

:( 
m
l
!