USB 3.0 transfer speed - External 1GB

avitar4321

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
I am just getting my new system up and running. I have a 1GB iOmega eGo, connected to the back of my new system (Ausu Z68 V-Pro w i7-2600k). On big transfers (100GB+) it starts around 65-80MB/sec, and drops to around 45MB/sec - 51MB/sec and stays at that speed
Is this right? good? something wrong?

Solution
From what I see, you are trying to transfer from the 1TB iOmega eGo to your 2TB WD Caviar Black right? How full is your HDD? Is there another driver available for your usb 3.0 chipset, if there is download it and install and try?

I am not so surprised to see 45-51MBps for 100GB+ because your RAM will be used up as cache and the small files you transfer starts degrading the transfer performance. May be that is the speed you will get, I had that similar speed as well when transferring a lot of files of a variety size.

avitar4321

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011

I just checked and enable write cache was already enabled. what speed should I be getting? the hard drive I am transferring to is a WD Caviar Black 2TB Sata 3

From what I see, you are trying to transfer from the 1TB iOmega eGo to your 2TB WD Caviar Black right? How full is your HDD? Is there another driver available for your usb 3.0 chipset, if there is download it and install and try?

I am not so surprised to see 45-51MBps for 100GB+ because your RAM will be used up as cache and the small files you transfer starts degrading the transfer performance. May be that is the speed you will get, I had that similar speed as well when transferring a lot of files of a variety size.

Solution

avitar4321

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
Yes you are right about the direction of my transfer. The WD 2TB Caviar is basically empty (I did transfer about 150GB of photo's onto it, but that is all). Its brand new.

How can I tell what driver my Asus MB is using for USB 3.0? I did check to see that the Bios is the most up to date, but did not check drivers beyond that.

In device manager there are many devices listed under USB Controllers, but none of them say USB 3.0. There are 2 which say Intel 6 series /C200
BTW I do have 16GB of ram so it shouldn't get clogged up that quick.

I think they use ASMedia ASM1051 chipset for it which is a sub company of ASUS. Just check for mobo updates on ASUS support site. If there is no driver updates, then there isn't one.

When you are transferring, can you monitor your ram usage from resource monitor?

This is my test result with 8GB of RAM. From 500GB HDD to 2TB HDD, window backup of 50GB in size, continuous file. Free RAM of about 5GB and used up in about 1 minute after transfer. 46MBps after that and my drives are about 55% full. So I say your 16GB RAM will probably be full by 2 minutes.

avitar4321

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
On the Asus website, they do show an updated USB driver for ASMedia USB3.0 Controller Driver V1.10.0.0 for Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)

I downloaded and installed the updated driver from 1.04. to 1.10

Thanks for your help. I do have a CPU and RAM resource monitor on my desktop, next time I will make note of the usage during a big transfer and will report back if there is any improvement.