Need Help with my R0 setup - Intel RST telling me a drive failed

chiptouz

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
Hello all,

I am very new to raid, but was able to setup a R0 configuration on my gaming machine. Everything has been running great (I built the machine in July, 2011) until now. I noticed that Intel Rapid Storage Technology software told me that one of the drives have failed. Just to be sure it wasn't some sort of gremlin I went and reset it in the software, rebooted and again the software stated that it was failed. I am actually surprised that I can still use the machine. It seems to run well. The only issue I can tell is that my Norton just doesnt work. I cant open it or do anything with it. I haven't tried to repair it yet.

Is there any other way to test the drive to verify that it isn't working?

So if it has failed I just install a new drive and reinstall my OS and all the other programs from before.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thank you,

Chip

Stay away from RAID 0! In RAID 0 (striping) when one drive fails ALL data is lost! RAID 1 (mirroring) is ok if you have to have RAID.

If oe of your disks in RAID 0 has failed, then you will have to replace the failed disk and re-install everything. Good time to reconsider RAID options.

chiptouz

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
Ubrales,

Yes, I am now reconsidering what I want to do. I am thinking Raid5. This seems to be a good alternative. If I had more room in my case I would definately do a raid 10. But alas I only have room for 4 hd's (3 for raid5 and one for data only (pics, music, drivers, etc.).

I am considering an SSD, but I think that would just complicate matters and I am not sure I would like the small storage size. I will wait until the prices come down enough...

Thank you for the repsonse.

chiptouz

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006

Ubrales,

I built this machine about 2.5 months ago. Hopefully using raid5 will let me be safer for at least a little bit longer. I dont mind reinstalling the OS after about a year or so, but 2.5 months is too soon. I backup my game profiles and outlook fairly often. Thanks a lot for your advice. I also back up my important stuff (pics, music, other) weekly.

Chip

That is the problem with RAID 0 - loss of one disk means all data is lost!

RAID 5 as you suggested will work fine for you.

I am glad you are diligently doing backups!