8800 GTX is baked and Comes back to life!!!!

37 answers Last reply
More about 8800 baked back life
  1. lulz
  2. Technically its not a bad idea. I will have to store this in my bag of tricks. Right next to putting your hard drive in the freezer after it crashes to retrieve data.
  3. L1qu1d said:


    fake

    no silicon product that can survive 400f +
  4. I've heard several people say they've done it, though I haven't myself so I can't say anything about whether it is true or not. In fact, if one of my older cards died, I'd probably use that as an excuse to upgrade :bounce:
  5. personally I'd send the card back if its under warranty. If it isn't, it would be worth a try.
  6. I am glade that I didn't have to do that. All I had to do was a recap mod and a new cooler but all the card cost me was $32. :sol:
  7. I have heard some people did that with their VGA too
  8. I want some french fries with that 8800 GTX.
  9. a good example of nvidia being far superior to ATI^^ an ATI card would melt after 10-15 seconds.
  10. Stop with the trolling
  11. okini said:
    a good example of nvidia being far superior to ATI^^ an ATI card would melt after 10-15 seconds.

    Seriously, enough.
  12. Next time I have an out of warranty card that has similar issue. I am kinda of eager to try this.
  13. The thinking is for the balls to melt and reattach itself, from their earlier broken condition. Could work, but it really needs to be done card by card, and refined better
  14. okini said:
    a good example of nvidia being far superior to ATI^^ an ATI card would melt after 10-15 seconds.



    I had *** cards from most brands with only Trident being the worst with Intel trailing close behind.
  15. jay2tall said:
    Seriously, enough.


    Dude what im saying is true. Its all facts. 110% true factual evidence.
  16. I have never seen proof of your statements. And if there is proof you could express it in a much more appropriate manor.

    I have had many ATI, and Nvidia cards, and have never "melted" a card. The two hottest cards I have used were the 7950GX2 and x1900xtx. Both which ran over 90C under load. Video cards are made to handle higher temps than most components.
  17. jay2tall said:
    I have never seen proof of your statements. And if there is proof you could express it in a much more appropriate manor.

    I have had many ATI, and Nvidia cards, and have never "melted" a card. The two hottest cards I have used were the 7950GX2 and x1900xtx. Both which ran over 90C under load. Video cards are made to handle higher temps than most components.


    You call me a nvidia fanboy and you are a dead hard ATI fanbou yourself ;P
  18. Nothing wrong with that! my point is! whats wrong with liking a company more then another one? Do i need to like both ATI and Nvidia? is it so irittating when someone on the forum have a diffrent opinion about GPUs??
  19. okini said:
    You call me a nvidia fanboy and you are a dead hard ATI fanbou yourself ;P

    That is false. I am neutral. I use both cards and purchase the best card for what I want to use it for.

    okini said:
    Nothing wrong with that! my point is! whats wrong with liking a company more then another one? Do i need to like both ATI and Nvidia? is it so irittating when someone on the forum have a diffrent opinion about GPUs??

    There is nothing wrong with favoring one company. Many people on this forum favor one brand. But there is something wrong with bashing the other.
  20. jay2tall said:
    That is false. I am neutral. I use both cards and purchase the best card for what I want to use it for.


    There is nothing wrong with favoring one company. Many people on this forum favor one brand. But there is something wrong with bashing the other.


    I liked ATI more before they came with these 5 series cause the old 4 series were way more bang for the buck than any 200 series nvidia! Best examples are the HD 4890 and the HD 4870x2. And when the 5 series arrived i expected HD 5870 to beat the GTX295 cause i realy wanted one of those! but instead the good old GTX295 humiliated the new DX11 5870. Thats why i dislike ATI these days. They never want to make a better card. They are stupid and they awlays want to be the inferiour brand.
  21. The 5870 was not intended to beat the GTS295. The 295 is a dual GPU solution, and the 5870 is not. It was ment to replace the 4870. ATI's next dial GPU solution will replace the 4870x2. You are comparing two different classes of video cards.

    Also, the 5xxx series is now. So they will carry a premium price. Just like every other new card that is introduced from either ATI or Nvidia.
  22. Let cooler heads prevail here, as we know jay2tall to be a fair and helpfull participant on these forums. Bashing is just that. It needs to stop. Last warning
  23. cheesesubs said:
    fake

    no silicon product that can survive 400f +

    then how do you think they make the boards?

    hint: print the solder paste, place the components and run it through a 400f+ reflow oven.... and repeat for the other side :pfff:
  24. JAYDEEJOHN said:
    Let cooler heads prevail here, as we know jay2tall to be a fair and helpfull participant on these forums. Bashing is just that. It needs to stop. Last warning


    WOW WOW slow down there pal. WTF am i doing wrong now?? im not bashing!
  25. @okini you have no clue how electronics are manufactured, do you?
    Even the ati boards go through a 400f+ reflow, saying they would melt is just plain wrong.... granted the pcb gets a bit soft at the peak temperature but that happens to all of them...
  26. Kari said:
    @okini you have no clue how electronics are manufactured, do you?
    Even the ati boards go through a 400f+ reflow, saying they would melt is just plain wrong.... granted the pcb gets a bit soft at the peak temperature but that happens to all of them...


    wow take it easy i was just messing with you ATI fanboys ;)
  27. well take your mess somewhere else
  28. okini said:
    wow take it easy i was just messing with you ATI fanboys ;)

    My suggestion to you is, quit messin and start contributing/helping
  29. The Xbox and PSx boys have been doing this for years and it works for VGA cards. I've lost the threads but I have pointed two posters here to this solution to the same problem and both have replied that it works.
    Should you doubt me just google reflow or check out Ebay for reflow ovens, as I did when I did not believe it the first time;)
  30. JAYDEEJOHN said:
    My suggestion to you is, quit messin and start contributing/helping


    dude it was a joke. Im helping ppl. Ive done it on several threads.
  31. cheesesubs said:
    fake

    no silicon product that can survive 400f +


    if you had read the article it says he baked it at 385.

    anyway, interesting stuff. i should have kept my old x850 to try it on :)
  32. the oven bake does work but that is old news. not all survive very long after-wards though. i wouldn't purchase one knowing someone did this and expect it to last any amount of time.
  33. Yeah, if the balls dont form completely like before, theyre already set again to fail, and theres no control over it whatsoever
  34. Wow this thread is a trolls delight but at least the obamabots don't mess with any thing that requires a moments though. As for ati and nvidia they have their strong point and weak points. Both need to improve.
  35. It works! I just did it with my olg 8800 gtx AND gts both now work.

    The plastic parts have gone a little cream/yellow color and strangely, the stickers are still white, all but 1 anyhow, that one burnt into a brown crisp. The dvi ports are now yellow/brown and the fan power plastic thino is yellow now. ANYHOW it works! and I've tried it with WIC for 8 hours max settings and no crash. Today I've been playing Left for dead 2 and no problems! 1 week and its still going

    BEST FIX EVER! THANKS!
  36. ^-^ sounds like you overcooked it a little bit :P
  37. You can also use "electric skillet" . Serious about reflow work? These guys are! Check em out!

    http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/tutorial_info.php?tutorials_id=59

    Here's some reflow ideas from guys who have tried many methods. I like their "electric skillet" method toward end of page.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Graphics Product