Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Potential SSD Setup - Need some advice

Last response: in Storage
September 25, 2011 2:06:19 PM

Hello all,

I just posted another question about my R0 configuration going bad due to a failed drive and if this is the case I will need to install a new drive and the OS, etc.

So, I was thinking, this might be the time to switch to a SSD boot drive and "other" drive for my programs.

My question is how do you, that have SSD drives for OS's do it. Obviously, with the price of SSD's getting pretty expensive once you get over the 120 gb cost point, a 120 gb drive just isnt enough storgage for everything I need to install. Do you only install the OS on the ssd and then install all the programs on a different drive? Could I recreate my R0 array for the "programs drive". I currently am using two 500gb drives (see my config on left) for my raid array.

Please let me know how you are using a ssd and "standard" hd configuration.

Thank you for any advice that you will give. I appreciate it.

Chip

Best solution

a c 353 G Storage
September 25, 2011 6:47:52 PM

First off the "C" drive should only be for Operating system plus programs, Oll of your denerated data (files) should be on a seperate partition (or drive). For SSDs the reason is plain - size constraint. But this is also true for HDDs and is primairly in terms of the method of backing up. Two objectives of a good back up (A) to restore the operating system plus programs and (B) Backing up your data. This can best be done with two partitions (or drives.
Windows 7 has an excellent back up program. This allows you to create an image file of the "C" drive. In the event of a (A) HDD failure, or (B) a rogue program, or HDD slow down. the operating system and programs can be re-installed in short order with the image file - NO re-installing windows, no re-installing all your programs. The Image will return the compute to exactly the state of when the image was created. DOES NOT need to be done frequently. Data Backup should be down more frequently and is easier when all the data is in it's own partition.
An additional reason for this (FOR HDDs) is that the OS and programs will be on the outer edge of the platters where speed is highest.

Some find that a 64-80 gig SSD is fine for OS and programs the recommend size and most popular is the 100/128 gig SSD. I have a 120 gig SSD and for the OS and all my programs it only uses 37 Gigs. I do not game so you would have to add game progroms.

One problem I do not like is by default files you create go into C:\My doc. This is easily solved - I moved My Doc to the HDD "D drive".

Now in your case, Install operating system and Most used programs to the C drive (SSD). Programs that you do not need frequently, or if you start to get to 80/90 gigs full, then when you install a program do not allow the default location - change it too the HDD (create a director on "D" call program files).

To save space on the SSD:
... Disable Hibernation (saves upto approx 6 Gigs)
... If you have 4 gigs of ram, Set the Min/Max of the page file to 1024 Mb. For system with More than 4 gigs Ram set the page file min/max to 512 mb. If really pushed for Space, move page file to D-drive. NOTE if you ever get a"out of memory" error, just increase the min/max values.
.. Move My doc folder from C drive to D drive.
.. Change temp files to go to the D drive.
If unsure on how to do any of the obove - googe is your friend and a good step-by-step method will be found.
September 25, 2011 9:25:49 PM

Chief,

Thank you for the response. I already use a data drive for all my important stuff and back this up weekly. My main concern is the storage size. Right now I am sitting at about 222gb worth of data on my c drive. Now, sure I could remove some files, but since I am an avid gamer I add shooters and adventure games (Think Dungeon Siege 3, Diablo 3m Skyrim) often. having enough storage is important to me. I might just stick with standard drives in a raid 5 config for the time being. When SSD storage prices come down I will then move over.

Thank you.
m
l
September 25, 2011 9:26:26 PM

Best answer selected by chiptouz.
m
l
!