Sign in with
Your question

Added Fans, Temps went up.

Last response: in Components
January 20, 2010 3:04:43 PM

Hey guys,

I was wondering if you knew what was going on with my temps. I have the Cooler Master Scout case with a CM V8 Cooler and I was doing great. My temps were idling about 29-31C and under load while playing games I would get up to about 39C.

Well I ordered two more CM Fans to go with my case. One I put on my door blowing on my GPUs and the other I had to rig on my case. I zip tied it in the 5.25 drive cage pulling air from outside to the back of the case, then the exhaust fans would blow it out the back. This air goes right over the CPU.

The problem is that my temps have actually gone up! As I type this im sitting about 33,34,35,36 on each of my cores. I dont understand this. ALSO my computer used to go into hibernation after about 30 minutes of inactivity. It would basically completely shut down, no lights, no fans, HDDs quit spinning basically it acted like it was powered down. I really like this considering the thing uses about 850W when running. Now it wont hibernate it just puts up a black screen saver.

Both of the new fans are plugged into the 3pin MoBo connectors and not into the PSU like all of the others. Would this cause these problems?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

More about : added fans temps

January 20, 2010 3:41:24 PM

Possibly a vortex effect; you've disturbed the airflow, and hot is is probably getting trapped somewhere.
m
l
January 20, 2010 4:43:24 PM

I would agree with gamerk.

I would disconnect the 2 new fans and boot up, check if your temps drop back down to what they used to be. If not then some other cause is to blame. Maybe different ambient temperature (when Im at 21c ambient vs. 26c ambient my system temps change accordingly). It might be annoying but your temps are fine. If you want to toy with your fans I would suggest tweaking rpms so the case is quieter and sacrifice some hotter temps, you've got plenty of headroom to spare.

regarding the hibernation issue, Ive had a couple instances when this function became disabled due to updates by windows. It was a hassle fixing it. (I hate windows for this kind of crap). You might want to check if windows updates download/installed a new update that coincided with your fan installation. It could be coincidence.
m
l
Related resources
January 20, 2010 5:08:06 PM

Why on earth would you bother addong more fans more hassle and more noise if your temperatures were fine in the first place?
m
l
January 20, 2010 5:22:25 PM

Generally a case should have fans on the floor-level in front to blow cold air over the discs and into the case were it raises as hot air and should be blown out by the PSU in the rear upper area of the case. What I can guess in your case is that the fan in the door blows in cold air at midle-level and your fan in the front blows in air from the upper-level of the case. This might is such a powerful fan-effect that the case stops to suck in cold air from the floor-level in front and thus change the natural airflow inside your computer case. This is just a theory from me and the temperature-raise can be related to something else. The thing with your computer wont hibernate can maybe be related to some automatic spinning function on the fan/motherboard/software: many modern fans change the RPM automaticly do to how hot the air inside your case is, the hotter the more your fans will spinn. This function may request that the computer must be on idle and dont work in hibernate mode, accordingly you might get those blank screen.

I dont know if this would help you but here is how I have choosed to place my own fans. First I split my case in four levels. 1: Floor-level where there is an empty space through the case, in rear there are some PCI slots. 2: Low-middle level where in front is a 3.5" HDD-case in front. In rear is Southbridge and GPU. 3: High-middle level there in front is a smaller 3.5" case for Floppy drive and more HDD:s. In rear is the Northbridge, CPU, RAM etc. 4: Topp-level where in front there is 4 CD gateways and in rear are the PSU. In the front I have three 80mm fans that blows in cold air at level 1-3. In rear at level 1 I have a big 120mm fan mounted on a 5 cm tall empty 3.5" case that blows air up on the underside of the GPU. At level 3 I have two 80mm fans that blow hot air out in the rear. There I also have the cooling tower and a (I guess) 100mm CPU-fan. At level 4 in the rear there is the PSU blowing hot air out, it have an extra fan that blows in air at rear level 3. Between the PSU and CD-roms there is a gap where I have tied up one more 120mm fan which blows hot air up from the RAMs and overall case hot air and make an airflow to transport heat from the CD-roms. Also at rear level 4 my PSU have a fan that blows in hot air into the PSU and out with a fan at the rear side of the PSU. Maybe not a choise for a ordinary office computer but great for a gaming/office/surfing PC. Try to install a fan in front on level 1 and see if the airflow changes and makes your CPU cooler, use a fan from an older computer of yours if you have one. Good luck!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 20, 2010 5:31:01 PM

Based on your orginal temps, agree with Lord-Ilpolazzo on fans.

What do you base your Wattage on. 850 W is a lot, Have you go 3 High power GPUs???
Did not see your system configuration.

Agree with 4trees on hybernation, Verify that it is enabled. If need be google powercfg cmd and hybernation. I believe you run a Dos prompt (As Administator) and enter powercng -h:o n
m
l
January 20, 2010 6:04:38 PM

These are all great answers.

I chose to add more fans because this case is jam packed.

I have a 1000W PSU
3 SATA HDD's in RAID0
2 EVGA 9800GTX+
Intel i7-920 CPU @ Stock Speed (2.66)
Cooler Master V8 CPU Cooler
DVD-R

I figured that adding more intake fans would ensure a steady amount of cool air entering the case. The PSU mounts in the bottom, so I naturally bought a PSU that pulls air from outside the case (rear) and exhausts air through the bottom. That way no air from the PSU enters the case at all. This leaves the top 2 fans (140mm) for exhaust, they are positioned in the area where a traditional PSU mounts (back panel top and rear of top panel). So since hot air rises you have 2 big fans exhausting air. The door is made to have 2 120mm fans installed on it, but the V8 is so big that I couldnt use the spot it takes up and just chose to put one over my GPUs. I felt as though this was necessary because the way my MoBo (Asus P6X58D) is designed if you have 2 dual slot GPUs in SLI they cards literally sit on top of each other and I assumed them would add a ton of heat to the overall case temp.

I will add some pics to this thread to show you what I mean.

As far as the hibernation, having fans plugged into the MoBo as apposed to the PSU causes the PC to monitor the fan RPMs which causes it not to hibernate. Am I understanding that right?
m
l
January 20, 2010 7:01:02 PM

Yeah, think the hibernate problem is somehowe related to your mobo. Try another solution if you can. But I also can be wrong on this, only a qualified guess. By the way, how have you done to use 3 HHD:s in RAID 0 mode? 0 and 1 is always only two HDD, getting a little confused here. Or do you mean you have RAID 3? Or RAID 10 with four HDD (the forth one may not show itself since that one only handle massive with "cashe files")?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 20, 2010 8:32:14 PM

I would estimate your Idle power at about 220 -> 250 W and max power while gaming at approx 400, 450 Tops.

My E6400 OC to 3.2, One 4870, 4 HDD, one Blu-ray writer, 1 DVD writer tops out at about 300 -> 325 W. (Note thats at the wall, so PSU effiency is included)
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 20, 2010 10:40:58 PM

hi
um why do u need to plug the new fans into the mobo via the 3pin connectors? since you seem to have many hard drives, a highpowered psu, several hard drives, and dual grahopics cards, noise obviosuly inst an issue, and so it's probably better just to use molex adapters for the fans....
arent the 9800 graphics cards known to get like "thermal cracks" on the die or something? maybe thats whats causing it not to hibernate...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 21, 2010 12:15:34 AM

Frag Mortuus said:
Hey guys,

I was wondering if you knew what was going on with my temps. I have the Cooler Master Scout case with a CM V8 Cooler and I was doing great. My temps were idling about 29-31C and under load while playing games I would get up to about 39C.

Well I ordered two more CM Fans to go with my case. One I put on my door blowing on my GPUs and the other I had to rig on my case. I zip tied it in the 5.25 drive cage pulling air from outside to the back of the case, then the exhaust fans would blow it out the back. This air goes right over the CPU.

The problem is that my temps have actually gone up! As I type this im sitting about 33,34,35,36 on each of my cores. I dont understand this. ALSO my computer used to go into hibernation after about 30 minutes of inactivity. It would basically completely shut down, no lights, no fans, HDDs quit spinning basically it acted like it was powered down. I really like this considering the thing uses about 850W when running. Now it wont hibernate it just puts up a black screen saver.

Both of the new fans are plugged into the 3pin MoBo connectors and not into the PSU like all of the others. Would this cause these problems?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

-More fans isn't always better, your case cools by having a air current moving in one direction. If you add more fans, it can disrupt that air current, infact, if more fans can completely block exits of hot air just circulate hot air heated by components around the case and in effect can turn your computer into an oven. Secondly, if your temps were perfectly fine, even below average, why add more fans?...if it isn't broken don't try to fix it.

-and i was wondering what can possibly be using 850watts in your computer?...just because your PSU is large doesn't mean that power is used.
m
l
January 21, 2010 12:36:45 PM

When I was planning my build, I used a PSU calculator and it said based on the components I was using I needed 848W of power thats why I was assuming it was using that amount.

As far as RAID0 you can use more than 2 drives if you want. In my BIOS under the sata settings you have the option to set the drives to RAID drives, then reboot and enter the RAID config tool and select which HDDs are going to be part of the array and then choose what type of RAID you want. I chose RAID0. I have 2 250GB and a single 320GB drive which comes up to 698GB after the Kb count and the downsizing due to the stripe size. So yeah, RAID0 doesnt have to be only 2 drives.

The reason I hooked the fans straight to the MoBo is because I have a modular PSU and I didnt want to hook any more cables than necessary up because this case is so jam packed with stuff that even another cable would be a bit much. Im going to unhook my fans and see what happens with both the temps and the hibernation.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 21, 2010 7:22:18 PM

^Well PSU calculators aren't always correct.
-How is your build jam packed?...2 video cards, 3 hard drives and 1 dvd drive?...thats like a standard config for most people, maybe you just have a small case so it seems like it?
-Your build can get be powered by a 700-750watt PSU easily, i wouldn't be surprised if it even uses a lot less then that.
m
l
January 22, 2010 5:35:35 PM

We all see Frag doesn't "need" the 1000w psu but it is already purchased and used so no point dwelling on it. Its not like it is a detriment to his system. In comparison to most that have spent $1k on an i7 975 extreme, his purchase of a $150-200 psu seems quite practical don't you think?

($999 i7 975)- ($250 i7 920 overclocked) = $749

($200 1000W) - ($130 750W) = $70

We've all wasted dollars here and there on hardware. Think of all the people that wasted $100 on vista :??: 

m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 22, 2010 6:14:34 PM

Whats wrong with vista?...
-And i've wasted money on computer hardware also, like buying a useless fan controller for my case and bying an overkill cooler (good but overkill).
m
l
January 22, 2010 6:38:21 PM

Well the PSU I got on a new egg deal of the day for $99. So I obviously it is an awesome deal for a 1000W Modular PSU. Also I plan to upgrade my GPUs some time down the road.

im going to post some pics in this thread soon of my rig so that I can show people how packed this case is. Ive been dealing with having a house full of family right now (we had a death in the family) so I cant really get around to it now.

The case is the Cooler Master Scout. It looks great but doesnt have a lot of room unfortunately.
m
l
January 22, 2010 6:47:04 PM

Vista obviously has nice perks, but it has compatibility issues, and unlike xp it hogs memory resources. A lot of us might have been better off sticking with xp rather than spending the money on vista. I bought vista btw.

The fan controller would be worthless except it keeps my system quiet and is hassle free. $20 was worth it to me to quiet an old chip fan on my mobo that is failing. Sounds like a train when left unchecked.

The 120extreme is pointless for my AMD however it will be useful for an i7 930 that I will buy and oc in early March. Since the $54 was to be spent shortly anyway might as well get it early so i can spread out my expenses, lap it, and have it ready for when I upgrade my cpu, mobo, and ram. Its a lot quieter than my stock AMD cooler anyway so in the interim I can hear my media rather than my system fans.

My apologies Blackhawk if my reply irritated you. I didn't want the post to become focused on Frag with a big psu rather than a temp question.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 22, 2010 7:11:45 PM

lol no it didn't don't worry about it, i was getting off track anyway, its my fault. My apologies actually.

-And reason why i think a fan controller for me is wasteful is because when buying my case High air flow 932 by coolermaster, i thought it would be load since it had lots of fans and i heard reviews people saying it was a bit noisy but my fan controller is turned up to a full 12v for each fan and its absolutly silent, my cpu cooler is whats making noise but that has custom pci control knob in the back. I run fans at full speed anyway cause its quiet so a controlle is wasteful...but it looks pretty good in the DVD drive bay.
m
l
January 22, 2010 7:21:50 PM

I love the HAF 932! couldn't be happier with the purchase. [:jaydeejohn:5]
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 22, 2010 7:23:49 PM

^isn't it really quiet though?...for me its almost unoticeable with all 4 case fans running full speed.? My Coolermaster V8 and video card fan are the ones that make a small amount of noise but barely audible anyway so why a fan controller?
m
l
January 22, 2010 7:49:12 PM

Ive got my mobo chipset fan plugged into the fan controller. The chipset fan is only 2 inches diameter, you would think it would be silent, but it spins at 4000-5000rpm. The bearings on it are going bad (not even sure if it has bearings). With the fan controller I can tweak it so it doesn't vibrate and make a loud awful sound. Its kind of like driving a car at a given speed and a piece of loose sheet metal will vibrate at that precise speed but not above or below that speed. Wikipedia does a good job describing resonant frequency on the subject http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resonance

So the controller lets me keep it at a frequency that doesn't vibrate. Problem solved... until I get a new mobo.

And yes the HAF932 fans are silent, same with me I only hear the video card fan.
m
l
!