Video editing

You don't need much for video editing. Just an entry level card will be fine. What is your budget? Also, what are the specs of your PSU. Do you run a single display or multiple? What res?

rackbag

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009

Unlimited budget. What is a PSU? Single display with 1080 resolution. I was thinking of ATI 5870.

Phil

rackbag

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009

Good - I am planning on DVR capability and the 5870 has HDMI and I would need it (I think) for multimedia capability as well. Not sure I know what I am talking about but do not want to order a system that is not complete.

Phil

The 5870 is a gaming card and would be a waste if money for you if you do not intend to use it as such. All of the 5xxx series cards come with DVI, HDMI, and Display port. If you are set on a 5xxx card, then just get a 5750 or 5770.

I'd honestly suggest a 4670 as they are used mostly for home theater PC's and heavier desktop graphics. MOST of them have HDMI on the card, just make sure the one you order does. A few do not. They are like $65-$80 as opposed to a 5870 that is $400.

It's a really good card for non gaming graphics and video playback. Some people use it for light gaming, as it doesn't do to bad in that area. For the price its great and it doesn't require much power at all. Good luck.

It also has built in sound when using HDMI, which is a bonus. Up to 7.1 surround sound.