Sign in with
Your question

Cooler Master HAF 922 project

Last response: in Components
January 20, 2010 3:45:29 PM

My canvas for this project is the Cooler Master HAF 922

I'm using paper to make a template for 2x 120mm front intake plate.

Tracking template onto 1/8" thick aluminum sheet.

I used a Jigsaw with 18 TPI metal cutting blade to cut the design. I will refine and finish the cuts with a hand file later.

The 1/8" thick aluminum won't fit in my bending brake, so I used my bench vise to bend the aluminum.

I'm using a Mouse sander with medium Grit sandpaper to remove all of the blemishes and scratching in the surface of the aluminum

Aluminum plate surface is finished. Next step is fastening it on with pop rivets, more on this soon!

I've attached the new bezel plate on with pop rivets.

http://www.mnpctech.com/Pop_rivets_for_computer_case.ht...

Overkill "Nautilus" 120mm fan grills, http://www.mnpctech.com/120mm_Overkill_Fan_Grills.html

In order to use the Knock-out punch, you need to drill a 2" pilot hole.

Greenlee Knock out Punches
Greenlee part # 730EBB-120 Last time I inquired, they were around $450 in the states + Large 3/4" socket wrench, and 2" socket. I wouldn't use anything less than 19" long socket wrench. Estimated purchase price of $550 new.

a c 248 ) Power supply
January 20, 2010 4:10:48 PM

Very nice :) 

For simple blow holes I use a 4.5 inch hole saw with an auger that I purchased at Ace hardware. Nothing fancy but it works.
m
l
January 21, 2010 12:51:37 PM

Thank you Johnny. I use hole saws as well. The advantage with KO is that it measures exactly 120mm and there is no need to debur the edges

Heres the customized bezel with the overkill grills installed

m
l
Related resources
January 22, 2010 4:58:57 PM

I can't escape from the idea of this case in a dark Grey Steel metallic, so Brad mixes Black with Silver metallic until I decided on this.

m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
January 22, 2010 5:29:31 PM

The Gray metallic is good. Looks like it's either high gloss or has a clear coat. Fingerprints and smudges?
m
l
January 25, 2010 11:06:49 PM

Looks nice, I just started my first case mod, somewhat off your inspiring stuff.

Once I'm done I don't know what I'm going to do though, part of me wants to sell it and buy a refurbished case for cheep and mod it up again, and part of me says keep it you worked so hard.

Maybe I'll buy another cheep case and mod it and give it away/ sell it (just really to cover cost of materials)

PS: whats design/theme of this mod
m
l
February 2, 2010 10:03:17 AM

The theme was up in air, but my friends at Stompfest LAN event asked if I would make a case for them.

I would keep your modded case if I were you and admire it :) 
m
l
February 2, 2010 4:47:24 PM

MonsterMawd said:
The theme was up in air, but my friends at Stompfest LAN event asked if I would make a case for them.

I would keep your modded case if I were you and admire it :) 

Legit, no constratins only your ideas, and I have no doubt it will turn out awesome.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 2, 2010 6:49:50 PM

Is this going to be another mod like the panzer box except a different theme, case, design...etc?
-well in that case keep up the good work and post lots of pictures, your mods are amazing.
m
l
February 19, 2010 12:23:45 PM

@ tkgclimb, Thank you!

@ blackhawk1928, Yes, similar in ways, but just the case this time

fyi the paint is a combo PPG "KIA" Bright Platinum Metallic" automotive paint, with Black mixed in...

m
l
February 22, 2010 4:35:39 PM

I had spare time to prep the chassis for the primer coat last night. I'm using a Red Scotchbrite pad to scuff the surface.

If you're planning to paint your chassis, you may wish to remove the pop-rivets and re-install new ones. We use 1/4" length, 1/8" diameter, Gripe range .092" - .125"

http://www.mnpctech.com/Pop_rivets_for_computer_case.ht...

m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 28, 2010 6:49:23 PM

^Those look like some serious fans.
m
l
February 28, 2010 10:09:01 PM

Yes, and they fit the theme nicely :sol: 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 28, 2010 11:27:33 PM

After you finish this, you need to do a HAF932 Mod, so i can copy it onto mine and pay you money incase you patent it lol.
m
l
March 1, 2010 10:23:19 AM

hehe, that could happen, I need to get several other projects done first :D 
m
l
March 14, 2010 11:10:18 PM

Better open up the rear exhaust for improved airflow as well before the chassis gets painted.

Rear exhaust grill on the HAF 922 chassis

Low tack masking tape (Scotch brand Painter's tape)

120mm Nautilus Fan grill
http://www.mnpctech.com/120mm_Overkill_Fan_Grills.html

Trace the inner opening of the 120mm Overkill Nautilus fan grill

Using Jigsaw with 18 TPI metal cutting blade.

m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 18, 2010 11:46:18 AM

WOW!!!!! gr8!!!!!!!!!!those fans are. SICKOOOO lol are they expensive???
m
l
March 19, 2010 6:23:09 PM

Here is the link again, http://www.mnpctech.com/140mm_fan_grills.html

Yes, very expensive for a fan grill, but they're really nice.

I'll be installing the machined Diamond Knurl case feet after the chassis is finished. The HAF 922's PSU location is on the bottom, so you've only get 3/16" space for the fastener nut. I trimmed down 2 of the included 8/32 machine screws, to use these feet in the 922.

http://www.mnpctech.com/Aluminum_Computer_Case_Feet.htm...

7/64 size drill bit for 8/32 size machined screws included with case feet.

marking off portion of 8/32 screw to cut. I use hack saw with metal cutting blade.
m
l
March 20, 2010 9:51:14 PM

We made a stencil using the SF from the Stompfest event logo. It created a weird pattern, I call it Alien camouflage ..heh

m
l
March 22, 2010 4:27:12 PM

Assembly started with the HD cages, I/O covers, custom feet and 140mm fan

Dusted the tops of the feet from 20" away with Black Self-etching primer...

m
l
March 22, 2010 7:01:26 PM

I really liked the speckled paint effect on the feet, so I'm repeating it on the rear 120mm Nautilus rear fan grill, http://www.mnpctech.com/120mm_Overkill_Fan_Grills.html

I masked off the face of the Nautilus grill, then painted the inner walls of the openings with Black self etching primer. flipped it over, and painted the backside as well.

I then removed the masking tape and held the can roughly 16" away from the grill and sprayed the perimeter of it. This is how you achieve the speckled paint effect.

m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 22, 2010 7:06:16 PM

Oh YEAH! This is going to look amazing.
m
l
March 23, 2010 9:17:16 PM

Thanks for the comments! Here is the XIGMATEK XLF-F1254 120mm White LED Case Fans. These are rated 1500 RPM @ 61 CFM. Noise level is 20 dbA

m
l
March 23, 2010 9:31:42 PM

I had some of those fans, gave me clicking problems
m
l
March 24, 2010 10:08:52 AM

Ouch, were you under volting them with a Fan controller?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 24, 2010 12:28:11 PM

i also like ur speckled paint job (and all the poaint lojbs u do in general b/c they look profressional)but the speckled looks cool
m
l
March 24, 2010 2:43:12 PM

Thank you shovenose :) 
m
l
March 24, 2010 9:57:02 PM

I had them on a fan controller that was giving them plenty of power but they still didn't like it, they also seamed to be making too much noise for me even when connected directly to the psu. So back to newegg they went, hope you have better luck.
m
l
March 27, 2010 12:50:34 PM

I did plan to use them on a Mitron Noise Isolator fan controller, 17 watts per channel Thanks for the heads-up :) 

Overkill "Nautilus" 120mm fan grill with XIGMATEK XLF-F1254 120mm fan installed.

m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 27, 2010 2:03:37 PM

Your PC/case mods are amazing. You should try even making your own custom chassis so it looks even cooler, i can't imagine how awsome that would be :)  Great work so far.

You should do something bad so everyone stops sounding like a broken record saying how amazing its turning out. lol
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
March 27, 2010 6:16:22 PM

Very nice. Looks good.
m
l
March 28, 2010 3:23:11 PM

I plan to buy the same case from newegg. nice mod
m
l
March 29, 2010 2:05:30 AM

Ok guys, thanks for the comments, as always! and here is the custom HAF 922 front bezel and fan grills after receiving 4th coat of Charcoal Grey Metallic paint today. The finish on the bezel will buffed out.

m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 29, 2010 2:06:50 AM

its cool..!
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
March 29, 2010 2:19:39 AM

Are you going to clearcoat it?
m
l
March 31, 2010 2:06:14 PM

Yes, everything will be Clearcoated

I started installing the Acoustical foam in the HAF 922 chassis yesterday, starting on the backboard. It has Adhesive backing for easy installation. It cuts very easily with a scissors or Xacto knife. This foam will help dampen noise generated from inside the 922.

http://www.mnpctech.com/Acoustical_Foam_Sheets_PC.html

m
l
April 6, 2010 4:33:31 PM

The deadline to finish "Overkill 922" is this Thursday, so it can be debuted at the Stompfest LAN Event this weekend,. April 10th - 11th. The final stages are custom paint, custom cable sleeving, sound insulation foam, Enermax cooling fans and Mitron Noise Isolator fan controller.

We thought the custom paint should incorporate some Sci-Fi elements with the "SF" logo from Stompfest with some Industrial cues, like this Yellow & Black Hazard area painted over the top panel of the HAF 922.

m
l
April 7, 2010 12:45:31 PM

We needed a character that embodied the hardcore LAN Gamer. He knows how to build a killer system. Enjoys annihilating Noobs on their inherited Emachines. He likes getting jacked up on Caffeinated Energy Drinks and junk Food. You get the idea... Thats how we landed on the implementation of this "LAN Terminator" dude with the "SF" logo craved into his skull. Hes surrounded by circuits hardwired into the system inside. People should fear the guy that walks into future events with this case.

Check out Brad's airbrushed Red and Blue Glowing LEDS, and conduit tubing à la H.R. GIGER.
m
l
April 7, 2010 1:37:06 PM

You guys are sick! That's some awesome piece of work...... ;) 
m
l
April 10, 2010 8:20:41 PM

Here is some of the final assembled photos before it was picked up for the Stompfest event.

It looks like real Hazard Area tape doesn't it? It was done with paint by hand. The FUSE door is painted on as well.

The custom window has a "SF" logo in the center made from frosted vinyl.

The "LAN Terminator" on the side is surrounded by LEDS and circuits hardwired into the system inside. A subtle Blue glow beneath the chassis is a Yate Loon 120mm intake fan. The case is elevated with a set of machined aluminum diamond knurl case feet. These were given the same "speckle" paint finish as the rear exhaust fan grill.

The rear Overkill Nautilus Fan Grill was given a speckle paint effect. We used with Black self etching primer to do this. The grill covers a XIGMATEK XLF-F1254 120mm White LED exhaust with Carbon Fiber vinyl applied as a label over the fan hub.

The 2x 120mm fan intakes are XIGMATEK XLF-F1254 120mm White LED case fans with Overkill Nautilus 120mm Fan Grills and House of Kolor "Silver Metallic" and "Gloss Black" 50/50 mix paint finish.

Completing the custom window installation in the HAF 922 is U-channel computer window molding

The contours and recessed portions of the HAF 922 case were shadowed with an Airbrush to create more depth.
m
l
April 11, 2010 11:52:08 AM

I posted a video clip of the case before it was picked up.

m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
April 11, 2010 5:10:18 PM

I just watched the video clip. AWESOME!
m
l
April 11, 2010 11:02:29 PM

Glad you like it Johnny! :D 
m
l
April 14, 2010 12:35:20 AM

That thing is absolutely stunning. My favorite part has be the fan grills though. Now you just have to start a line of cases people will actually like :whistle:  .
m
l
April 14, 2010 9:25:36 AM

BTW, how much does that thing weigh as it is?
Also, do you sell modded cases, or do you just offer modding services?
m
l
April 14, 2010 1:50:00 PM

Awesome work MonsterMawd, very inspiring stuff. When you paint your cases do you only scuff the outside coat before you apply paint? I've been completely sanding mine down to the metal underneath and re-priming them.. it seems to be the recommended method based on what I've read. If you have any particular primers to recommend (if it matters) or clear coat brands.. I'm a painting student at a local university and I've convinced my teacher to let me work on computer cases instead of canvas. I might start posting some of my work later.

Edit: Found your painting guide by following your profile to your website. Best guide I've seen on the web yet, extremely helpful. Thanks Monster!
m
l
April 14, 2010 5:13:38 PM

@mushroomking, Thank you! I'm working on a Mini-ITX case, construction will be 100% milled aircraft aluminum.

@Starges, hmmm, estimating mods added 2 - 2.5 pounds to the stock weight.

@Chewbert, you can use a red scotch brite pad to scuff the surface. I can't offer advice if youre using traditional brush paints, but If you're using rattle cans, with patience and practice, you can achieve a professional finish. Here is a good guide

How to Paint Computer Case
m
l
!