Anyone with an antec p182 case? what heatsink/cooler are you using?

Dstyle

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
Asking because i'm curious what CPU cooler/heatsink you're using, as i need to replace mine and im uncertain on what dimensions i could get away with. Obviously i dont want to end up spending money on something that doesn't fit in to my case.

And any recommendations on what options i should check? I've seen this one on frostytech
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2354

after someone here recommended it, it appears to of got good reviews, but no idea if it will fit my case.

I've also looked at some of the scythe options but they all seem huge, so again no idea if they would fit.

My preference is ideally low noise, my cpu is a intel quad Q6600.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Hiay,

One thing, you have to watch that site as the ranking system is not fully dynamic - as in the chart for a particular cooler is fixed for good at time of review :pfff:

Their Top5 (top10 lol ?)
page is quite useful and more up to date however.

I use the Coolermaster Hyper212 in my P182 which fits fairly easily.

This has now been superseded by the newer Hyper 212 Plus (costs $29.99 or about £19.99 from overclockers ) which is a good improvement - and is a fair bit better than the one you mentioned.
Dimensions: 120 x 79.7 x 158.5 mm (L x W x H)

Hyper 212 Plus review

and in this chart is ranked 4 above the Akasa Nero AK967 (£32.69 from overclockers)

Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme Rev. C is an Extremely good cooler but Large! (£39.99)
Dimensions: 131 x 112 x 150mm (L x W x H)

I might buy this one for my next cooler as is just that good!

Hope this helps :D

4trees

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
That case is reported at 8.1 inches width. I can't say for sure how much that equates to internal width for a big heat sink but 8.1 inches allows over 1.5 inches of room left over for a 160mm long heat sink. 1.5 inches should be enough for taking into account sidewall and no side fan to be in the way. So it should fit but I can't be certain.

That cooler has very nice results on Frosty's site. I have no experience with it though.

Dstyle

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010

Hey,

thanks for the advice, whats the noise level like on the fan you use? im assuming its similar to that of the upgraded version. I'm aiming to get the noise level of my pc down a bit and it seems most of the noise is coming from the CPU cooler so ideally noise level is what i am looking at the most. Currently it's got an arctic freezer pro 7 in it, which came with my CPU (it was some kind of deal).

I guess i was maybe paying a bit to much attention to price as well, as far as 'quality' goes. I'll keep looking round at some reviews.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Hi again,

I am quite obsessive with quiet - as leave my PC on nearly 24/7

I made the mistake of buying Sharkoon Silent Eagle 2000 fans as they have excellent CFM to noise ratio's...

Maybe to a DB meter they are quiet. But to my ears the "golf ball dimples" give the airflow a rough edge to the sound.
I replaced all my P182's case fans with these - I partly wanted a set of quiet fans that I could connect up to my CoolerMaster CoolDrive 4 fan controller.

Even on the slowest fan speed setting these 2000rpm fan max speed fans were too loud - 1300rpm on min I think it was.
I fixed this by adding inline 5v resistors after the fan controller - now at 840rpm I finally have peace at night.

Sorry to go on on that but...

The fan on my Hyper 212 was a different storey all together!!!

I removed it to compare it at the time to the Sharkoon's (which do have a nice high air flow to be fair).
All my tests were purely subjective of course.

The Sharkoons seemed to shift a tiny bit more air for same fan speed, maybe.

But Damn, next to them the CoolerMaster fan was bliss, producing a completely different noise - much more like a soft purr.
The sound, Very quiet even mere inches from my ear (all at lowest settings so far 1260 without the extra resistor) was so relaxing I could imagine easily drifting off to sleep.

At max speeds both fans made a fair bit of noise. But even OCing my Q6600 @ 3.6GHz and folding@home (really stresses the CPU) I found about 3/4 fan speed setting to be optimal - Max speed made Much more noise for little effect on temp.

Am guessing you don't have a fan controller, so just stick with the standard Tri Speed fans at min setting.
Use the your motherboard CPU fan header, set the 212 Plus to min speed and forget...

Easy :)

If you get a fan controller, get something like the:

Scythe Kaze-Master 5.25" Fan Controller - Black

Review

The best feature of this one is that you can completely shut off unneeded fans by turning the dial down all the way.
Nobs protrude about 1cm and will fit behind the P182's doors just fine.
Alarm does sound when you switch off a fan - I'd disable alarm using jumper on install...
Each channel can provide 1A - so could run multiple fans off each channel.
Has 4 accurate temp probes too.

Bear in mind the Tri Speed fans with your P182 use molex connectors and cannot be plugged into this fan controller.

Got a bit carried away there, good luck with your setup ^^

Dstyle

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010

heh, all the information is welcome, I'm quite clueless when it comes to hardware issues....software no problem, but hardware is never something i took an interest in outside of the baisics.

I'm more than happy with the actual case fans, the 3 Tricool's although i think one needs replacing so i need to pick one of those up off ebuyer. They happily run on the lowest setting using the controller on the back of the case. I haven't bothered to overclock by Q6600 so i dont think i'll run in to any temp issues.

Definatly considering purchasing that coolmaster hyper 212 plus given the rankings and reviews i've seen. Will it come with any brand specific thermal gel/paste (or whatever the stuffs called, like i said i'm usueless with this hardware stuff) or will i need to buy that specifically.

jhaze84

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
I'm using a Xigmatek "Dark Knight" S1283V in my P182, which is 159mm high. It fits with about 1/4" to spare. So you should be good with any tower cooler that is near that height.

Any cooler you buy will come with some thermal paste (either pre-applied or in a little packet). You might want to consider buying a tube of some nice Arctic Silver 5 or similar if you want better temps or want some extra in case you ever need to reinstall the cooler.

Your Antec P182 case is 8.1 inches wide. That is more than sufficient for the large, 160mm tall, tower style heatsinks that are popular with gamers and enthusiasts.

Any of the top 10 cpu heatsinks listed at Frosty Tech will fit in your case.

Another issue to consider is memory. There are memory modules with extra tall heatspreaders. The heatspreaders sort of look like a comb. The problem is with the memory slot closest to the cpu. The extra height will interefere with the heatsink. Those extra tall heatspreaders are a waste of time and money. Tom's Hardware and other sites have conducted thermal tests and concluded the tall heatspreaders do not provide any additional heat dissipation for memory modules.

Here's a handy tip - Install the memory modules first, then install the cpu heatsink. It is a lot easier that way.

Dstyle

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010

ah ok.

Looking at some of the scythe options as they still seem to be rating at the top as far as noise levels go....but the heatsinks on some of them look rather insanely huge.

Also something else i don't quite understand, on the frostytech site for example it reviewed that coolermaster 212 (link posted somewhere in here) when it spoke about the different levels of power, i.e. 150w or 60 / 70 / 80 w, how do you know which one you have to run it at? what determines this? and how does it effect the noise? (lower power levels = less noise?)

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
those power levels, 150w, 80w etc are just the test heat source they used to test the coolers with.

It relates to the amount of heat different types of processors put out to give a comparative guide. For example our Q6600 is about 105w I believe.

Even 212 will make your current cooler look small, let alone some of those monsters out there!!!

Can imagine bigger ones than this will start getting quite hard to fit / get as the motherboard at all.

As the fella said, Arctic Silver 5 is a very good heatsink
-- but looking at some reviews, some thought the supplied paste may be an arctic silver based paste anyway which is great, so I'd just give that a try :)

Dstyle

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010

ah ok, that makes sense. It's just i noticed in the review for the coolermaster they said if you can get away with it then leave it on the lowest speed, bu that was in the 80w (i think , maybe lower) test....or something to that extent. So i was curious what i could get away with. I'll pass on info to my friend anyway who'll likely fit it as i aren't the greatest when it comes to fiddling around with anything outside of simply plugging in a psu or some RAM. If i can get away with it on a low speed setting for low noise that would be great. Definatly need to get something bought soon, don't remember if i mentioned it in my first post but my crrent cooler is sounding pretty bad, think its just a case of a bearing thats gone in the fan but its damn annoying.

Dstyle

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010

hey again, sorry for the continual questions.

I went ahead and bought the cooler master fan, however i aren't certain how to adjust the speed on it? it's attached to the fan header on the motherboard....where do i go from there, ive a feeling its running probably at max speed at the moment, which i hardly think is needed.

thanks in advance.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Cool!

in my case I run it through a fan controller.

but this can be done via most motherboards these days too. My Asus has a program called AI Suite, and use the "Q-Fan" component to set a desired fan speed - think mine has a 60% option or something like that.

If you get stuck, just let me know which motherboard you have and I will try and help out ;)