Mirror sets in Windows 7

topgun505

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2007
So I got my new pc built and have it up and running. I have a 74 GB WD Raptor drive as the op sys drive. I also have two 1 TB drives which I am planning to use as data/program storage. I was going to use the built in Mirror functionality provided in Windows 7 to basically make a RAID 1 out of the drives. This functionality is covered in the Windows 7 Administrator's Pocket Consultant book (which is produced by Microsoft directly). I made a mirrored set of the two 1 TB drives but the status listed the set as Failed Redundancy. I called up Microsoft support and after 20 minutes on hold and trying to explain the situation to someone (probably in India) they came back and told me Windows 7 Pro does not support that functionality.

What?

It's in the program, it's in the book. And it's not supported? So ... has anyone else tried to use this portion of the Disk Management utility? If so, did you get it to work? And has anyone ran in to this Failed Redundancy issue and how did you fix it? Was this tech just snowjobing me cause he didn't know how to solve it (as I suspect is the case) or is this actually true that Win 7 won't do Mirroring (even though it's in the Administrators book)?