Monitor Hard Drive RPM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Does anyone know of an app or pgm that would allow one to monitor the RPM of a SATA 3 HDD under Win7?
I have a nearly new Hitachi 1.5GB 7200 RPM HDD that I suspect is slowing it's RPM occasionally. At times, it will read really slow... too slow to be usable. When this happens, there is a definite change in the pitch of the sound coming from the drive. With the low price of HDDs today, replacing it isn't an issue. But I would like to know if my theory is correct.

Solution
clutchc, I don't believe it is possible to "monitor" a HDD's speed via software. The silentpcreview article shows you how to measure the speed using your sound card, a microphone, and Fourier analysis software. The same technique applies to all drives, whether green or blue or black or purple.
Not that I know of.
One of the reasons I stay away from "Green" and "Blue" drive. I've also not bought any that were Yellow Poka dot LOL.

For the past several years IMy prefernce was WD Blak drive, But last 3 have been the Samsung F3

For what its worth department, the only differece between a Sata III HDD on SATA III port and a SATA II drive on a SATA II port is in burst speed - In other words almost NO diff. For marketing purpose - WHO would want to say I'm still using Yesterdays standard even Though NO better for HDDs - SSDs different store as Seq read/writes are much better..

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Thanks, yes I know that SATA3 is basically for SSDs and that HDDs are maxed out at SATA2 speeds. But the drive was on sale, so I bought it anyway. Maybe now I know why it was on sale...
I stay away from green drives too, and would never use one for a boot drive. But I didn't know the blue drives had issues too?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Very interesting article, but you'll have to explain to me how this relates to my situation. The Hitachi drive I purchased ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145520) wasn't a green drive or blue drive.

clutchc, I don't believe it is possible to "monitor" a HDD's speed via software. The silentpcreview article shows you how to measure the speed using your sound card, a microphone, and Fourier analysis software. The same technique applies to all drives, whether green or blue or black or purple.

Solution

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Ahhh... now I get it. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.