Sign in with
Your question

SSD's and USB 3.0 PC Cases

Last response: in Systems
November 4, 2009 4:33:51 AM

Are there any new PC cases that already hold SSD(2.5) cages and have outputs for USB3.0 on the front? Will USB2.0 connectors be used for USB3.0 is the Motherboard supports it? Or will it be a different blue color?

More about : ssd usb cases

November 4, 2009 6:48:31 AM

Note that while USB 3.0 has high throughput, it also had high latencies which is bad for a system drive which is what SSDs are used for. USB and SSD are not 'natural combinations'. Use PCI-express or SATA.

Some SSDs do come with USB directly integrated though; i've seen some OCZ Core SSDs with this feature (both USB 2.0 and SATA/300). Avoid the OCZ Core's though; they use JMicron SSD controllers which are bad.
a b B Homebuilt system
November 4, 2009 2:29:48 PM

That's not even slightly what he asked for. He's asking about cases in general that might have these things.

To answer the question, I have no idea about 2.5 cages, but that seems somewhat unnessecary to me since there are plenty of cheap brakets and whatnot to make it go into a 3.5 bay. Most casemakers would want to keep it oriented to the mainstream who will just be using hard drives for quite a while. I suppose it could be a 'feature' on high end cases though.

But for USB 3.0, there will unfortunately need to be a new pinout on the motherboard and therefore a new plug and ports for the front of the case. I guess they probably will color those blue as well since something will have to be changed anyway.

As for available now? I doubt it.
January 21, 2010 6:19:59 AM

False_Dmitry_II said:
That's not even slightly what he asked for. He's asking about cases in general that might have these things.

To answer the question, I have no idea about 2.5 cages, but that seems somewhat unnessecary to me since there are plenty of cheap brakets and whatnot to make it go into a 3.5 bay. Most casemakers would want to keep it oriented to the mainstream who will just be using hard drives for quite a while. I suppose it could be a 'feature' on high end cases though.

But for USB 3.0, there will unfortunately need to be a new pinout on the motherboard and therefore a new plug and ports for the front of the case. I guess they probably will color those blue as well since something will have to be changed anyway.

As for available now? I doubt it.

according to the review of CES there are a number of new cases coming out this year that is ready to fit SLI, CF and Tri SLi for the GF100 and other newer components.

Looking forward to the midyear to upgrade or rebuild
!