Can i reuse a dell computer case

bigdog320

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
okay well i have an old full dell dimension 4600 that i am using right now that i got for free lol and i was wondering and thinking about using my old dell dimension 4600 case for my new build so therefor it would save me a bit of money if i use my dell dimension 4600 case my grand total of my build is $471.96 and i want to keep it that way :p heres what i be getting

BIOSTAR TA790GXE 128M AM2+/AM3 AMD 790GX
Antec EarthWatts Green EA-430D Green 430W
WINTEC AMPX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2
AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz
and i want be overclocking the cpu the only thing i may do is unlock the last 2 cores of the cpu if the motherboard will let me

so can i use it for this setup?

Solution
Take a look at the GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H motherboard. It is mATX so it will fit even if you case is ATX. It has HD4200 IGP, and I was able to successfully unlock, the 4th core of my x3 720be with it.

bigdog320

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010

well for now im just going to use the onborad HD 3300 for now till i get the money up i may can get this by next month maybe

anyways on to my questions yes i am kinda worried about the heat and the case not supporting the ATX motherboard wait don't dell getway hp/compaq use ATX boards?

elpaletero

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Take a look at the GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H motherboard. It is mATX so it will fit even if you case is ATX. It has HD4200 IGP, and I was able to successfully unlock, the 4th core of my x3 720be with it.

Solution

bigdog320

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010

well i guess im going with the GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H motherboard the only thing i dislike about it is the lack of PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots but its only $79 so i guess i could live with that but thanks alot for the help guys

KrisInFla

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
I realize this thread is "solved", but I would like to add to it for anyone else who might come across it as I did while doing an info search.

It is a proprietary Dell design that, even if you were able to shove an ATX standard motherboard into, you're likely to encounter misalignment of mount holes on the mainboard and the board tray. The mounts on the board tray aren't removable and you probably won't have a usable number of matching holes to mount a true ATX mainboard properly on its standoffs . Further, you'll risk shorting out your new ATX mainboard if you fail to properly insulate a Dell mount that sits somewhere under your new board (i.e., not at a mount hole). It also has proprietary connectors which cannot be plugged into a standard ATX motherboard.

I would strongly recommend you not attempt this :non: A true ATX case isn't that expensive... unless you really want it to be. I have seen them from $30 all the way up to more than $1K

Cheers and good luck.

Wouldn't want your post to discourage anyone;
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265071-31-finished-dell-dimension-4600-rebuild-project-pictures