Sign in with
Your question

Suggestions on adding additional access points with existing Cat6 runs

Last response: in Networking
November 14, 2009 2:14:47 PM

I am trying to avoid running additional wires to add some ethernet items.

Basement I have my cable modem
Ethernet line from Basement to upstairs wireless N router.

In the basement I need a hub for a PC and some home automation items. 3 ethernet ports total.

Can I just use a wired router? But how will my internet travel upstairs to my wireless router?
Will it pass through the added basement router?

I can add a wireless access point in the basement. I do have an extra G based wireless router. I guess I can do this also?

Any suggestions?
November 17, 2009 3:16:17 PM

theedudenator said:
I am trying to avoid running additional wires to add some ethernet items.

Basement I have my cable modem
Ethernet line from Basement to upstairs wireless N router.

In the basement I need a hub for a PC and some home automation items. 3 ethernet ports total.

Can I just use a wired router? But how will my internet travel upstairs to my wireless router?
Will it pass through the added basement router?

I can add a wireless access point in the basement. I do have an extra G based wireless router. I guess I can do this also?

Any suggestions?

It should, because you're just connecting two networks. Be sure router A and router B have differenct IP addresses. You don't want to run into this... Cable Modem > wirelessG 192.168.1.0 > WirelessN 192.168.1.0 Also if you need to access the devices downstairs, they will now be in another network, so you'll have to make rules, unless you can find an option in the wireless N to just become an access point in which case you could try this.

Cable modem to WirelessG (DHCP Enabled) > Basement devices in 3 ports, and a cable upstairs to the WirelssN's LAN port (DHCP DISABLED) Now you wouldn't need any rules.
m
l
!