Will this rig be able to play all the best games?

tom762

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
hey just wondering if this system will be able to play all the new games coming out at a reasonable frame rate also will it be able to play crysis at medium to high settings thanks any help would be appreciated.

Processor (CPU) AMD PHENOM II X4 955 SOCKET AM3 (3.20GHz/8MB CACHE) - BLACK EDITION

Memory (RAM) 4GB CORSAIR XMS2 DUAL-DDR2 800MHz - LIFETIME WARRANTY

Motherboard ASUS® M4N82 DELUXE: DUAL DDR2, S-ATA II, 3 x PCI-Ex, 2 x P

Memory - 1st Hard Disk 500GB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (7,200rpm)

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 22x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

Graphics Card 1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTS250 PCI EXPRESS

Sound Card ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Network Facilities WIRELESS N 300Mbps PCI CARD (£16)

Power Supply & Case Cooling 450W Quiet Dual Rail PSU 120mm Case Fan (£25)

Processor Cooling SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£19

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Your description of case and power supply is sort of garbled-- what do you plan to get? Also what is your total budget here? prices would help.

I think you would be happier spending more on the graphics if you are planning to primarily game on this. --what resolution do you hope to play at? At least get a 5770, but if you can afford it I think a 5830 would be better.

tom762

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
ok thanks im not too bothered about the top graphics but mid range would be good i dont really understand much about the components this is the first computer i will build (with help) so better graphics card and cheaper possessor

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Its still important that you specify your power supply choice. For high quality you would be happiest with a Corsair, Antec, Seasonic or OCZ branded power supplies.

A generic 450w wouldn't be recommended...

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Also-- search toms for "$800 new build" and you will get good ideas by reading.

Also.. once you have done more research you will want to repost your ideas in the "homebuilt systems" section. You will get more input from experts there--since this thread is in the wrong section of the forum.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished

The wattage doesnt matter as much as the brand. You want something reliable and energy efficient. As long as its a good brand 450-500w would be sufficient.

You should be able to play Crysis with settings above medium. You could do high is your resolution is 1680x1050 or below. Most current games should be fine on that system on high settings though, but future games will of course tax it more. With your SLI board though, you can add another GTS250 for more power when the need arises, assuming you don't wait too long as they will disappear.

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
I recommend Switching the Phenom955 for an Athlon II 630 and upgrading the graphics card for a Radeon4870 / GTX260 or better depending on what is left of the budget.

Graphics are more important then CPU.

Also I would take a motherboard with an AMD Chipset such as an Asus M4A785M-Evo with DDR3 ram as it's a bit cheaper these days.

In a year or later, then you can bump up the CPU... A 6cores cpu would be compatible (late 2010) but point is there should also be drops in prices of PhenomII's or perhaps faster ones came out...

Till then the Athlon II 630 can hold it's ground very well.