Sign in with
Your question

RAID 1 using SSD & stadard 1tb drive

Last response: in Storage
September 25, 2011 10:08:03 PM

Hello.

Tomorrow, i'm getting new shipped vertex 3 240GB.
To save my data for future failures, i'm choosing between 2 backup situations.
Currently, i'm on a mac, and using Software RAID-0 of 2 x Samsung F3 1TB

I wish to break this raid, and create raid-1 using 1xSSD & 1xF3, and my question: will i get some speed decrease in working?
Or should i stay as my current backup solution: i'm doing every day `rsync -avz -exclude '/Volumes' / /Volumes/Another1TBDriver/Backup/Current/` ?
a c 82 G Storage
September 25, 2011 10:12:54 PM

You'll get the transfer speed of the hard disk when writing. Depending on the RAID controller, you may get the transfer speed of the SSD when reading.
a c 353 G Storage
September 25, 2011 10:49:42 PM

1) a raid1 as you suggest would be limited to the smallest member, 240 gigs, The remaining space on the 1 TB drive would be lost. Speed/performance gain will be mixed as you are writing to two drives and I would hate to venture a guesstimate.

2) before you buy the vertex III (Plug & PRAY) drive do some research, go to the OCZ formum, go to Newegg and look at the 1/2 egg percentages. If you are looking at performance and coming up with the vertex 3. That is based on bench marks and what is advertized is the Sequencial read and write which is the least important parameter. In day to day usage ther is little difference between SATA III SSDs.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4421/the-2011-midrange-ss...
Also if for a mac Pay attention to other mac user comments. Marval based Controller SSDs seem to have less problems.
This may sound dumb, but you might also check out the Samsung 470, A SATA II SSD - Sequentials may be low, but real life usage they are not that far behind and by and far seem to have the least problems.
September 26, 2011 12:03:16 AM

Too late, it's(vertex) already on the way to me :) 
Generally, i don't care about 760gb of 1TB drive, i just knew, that mac's software raid-1 do perfect copy(i did split of raid-1, and they was identical copies).
I care only about any speed decrease, as mentioned by Ghislain, write speed will be decrease, thank you.

Conclusion: I'll do same backup as now, rsync at end of work :) 
!