Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HD 5770 and W7 64bit - games locking up

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 12, 2009 7:05:58 AM

Brand new video card is locking up the system anywhere from 1-30 minutes into any game. Problem did not start until I installed the new video card, was working fine on old X1650. Have tried the drivers on the XFX cd, http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATIRadeonHD5..., and the 9.11 Beta; all same issue. Replaced BlueStorm 500W PSU with a Corsair TX650W and the problem still remains. Updated BIOS to newest version, ver 2405 dated 11/06/09, all to no avail. I've already opened a ticket with XFX, but have yet to receive a response.

CPU AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz
PSU Corsair TX650W
MoBo ASUS M4A79 Deluxe
RAM OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
Video XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB
OS Windows 7 Professional (64 bit)
November 12, 2009 7:27:12 AM

Try uninstalling your video drivers - reboot and let windows find and install your drivers thru its windows update manager.
I know it worked using windows beta, so maybe it still does.
m
l
November 12, 2009 7:41:20 AM

W7 installs it as a Standard VGA Graphics Adapter and finds no updates.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2009 9:05:21 AM

-Try using Driver Sweeper to remove the drivers from safe mode
-Check temperatures. Perhaps poor airflow in the case is overheating the card. Try running it with the side of the case off if heat might be an issue. If it doesn't lock up with the side of the case off, you probably need to work on your case airflow.

Other than that, RMA seems to be a likely solution, since you would have already eliminated the main sources of these type of issues: PSU, Drivers, Heat.
November 12, 2009 9:53:02 AM

I forgot to mention I did Driver Sweeper during the reboots my last time through.

I've been thinking maybe it is a heat issue, and have increased the speed on my back case fan, but maybe I should add side and front ones. It's a pretty new case I didn't fill up with fans yet. Suppose I'll look at that while waiting for XFX to see if they say anything or just want to RMA it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2009 10:01:14 AM

A simple open case test can usually diagnose any heat issues.
m
l
November 12, 2009 11:26:41 AM

Looks like it may be heat. I opened the case but it still locked once. But my PC is down in the floor in a not so open area, so I put a desktop fan next to it and cranked that up and was finally able to play through the L4D2 demo entirely without any problems. Also managed to get in a couple rounds of MW2 MP where before I was lucky to get 5 minutes. I'm gonna pick up the case fans today and install those and hopefully it'll remain stable. Thanks, dunno why I didn't think of case heat. I had remembered experiencing similar problems years ago with a card whose fan wasn't working, but since this once was I just didn't think any more of it.
m
l
November 12, 2009 12:09:55 PM

please tell me the results, i'm gonna also get a 5770 with 64bit win7...i am very worried now lol...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2009 12:47:06 PM

A couple fans will make a world of difference, heh.
m
l
November 12, 2009 1:10:07 PM

phenom2 said:
please tell me the results, i'm gonna also get a 5770 with 64bit win7...i am very worried now lol...

I have the same setup but with an i5750 and have had no issues, you'll most likely be fine.
m
l
November 12, 2009 3:06:09 PM

Added 3x 120mm fans intake, 2 in the front, and 1 on the side. And I'm back to locking up. I dunno if I was just extremely lucky earlier, but this many has to be producing more air than the little desktop fan I put beside it earlier.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2009 3:19:02 PM

Download the free program GPU-Z and keep an eye on your GPU temps (CCC doesn't keep a history, check the box on the sensors page that says to update in background). Do this before you do anything else. So far, we only have theory, and having a temp reading could mean the difference in understanding your issues, and how to deal with them (IE, if not hot and still locking up, it is RMA time).

Are the fans all blowing into the case? If so, that won't help you. The reason it may not have been locking up with the case open is that the warm air gets to leave the case. Proper airflow is not just air going into the case, but warm air being removed.

Take one of your fans off the front, and install it to exhaust out the back. Do the same with the side mounted fan if you are still getting lockups. You don't just need to move air over the card, you also need to get it out of the case afterwards. Ideally, you want all the air coming in the front, and leaving out the back. Also, take a few minutes with some twist ties, and bundle up your cables together and try to tie them up out of the way of the airflow. They don't look like much, but loose cables can really screw with your airflow.
m
l
November 12, 2009 3:22:58 PM

Sorry, I left out that I already had a fan on top and back going out; and the cables are tied off. Airflow should be good, I just didn't have anything for intake since setting up the new PC a couple months back, now I do.

I'll install GPU-Z and let that run and get back.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2009 3:24:47 PM

Also, while you have your case open, clean out your CPU heatsink, especially if you are a smoker, or have pets. If you have never done this, there is a good chance it is plugged up with insulating dust and/or hair. We were concentrating on the GPU, since it is the new part, but the CPU might be just as much to blame, especially if you have a new source of heat in the case (5770) that was greater than before. Your old card may not have heated up the case to the same point that the new one does.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2009 3:25:41 PM

Ah ok, your post came in while I was typing my last one, disregard any irrelevant infoz, heh.
m
l
November 12, 2009 3:36:14 PM

Well, that was a good quick one. At the time of the lock, the GPU core clock reached 850, mem 1200, temp 61.0, fan speed stayed at 35% the entire time, load 88% (max was 98), and RPM 1193. Seems a little odd for the fan speed to stay low.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2009 3:46:57 PM

The standard fan profile may be temp sensitive, and you may not have achieved a high enough temperature to trigger an increase in fan speed. You do not have a temperature problem with those numbers.

Try running the PC with the side off and the fan blowing on it again. If you can reliably create stable environments with this set up, then it still points to a heat issue. If you can't, then we know that the stable run you had was a fluke.

Again, I suggest doing a thorough cleaning of the CPU heatsink before going the RMA route, as you said you keep your PC on the floor, a place that is infamous for turning your computer case into a dustbin. Even if only some CO2 to blast off the surface of the heatsink fans.
m
l
November 12, 2009 4:05:46 PM

I went ahead and used Catalyst to lock my Fan speed to 66% which is ~2400RPM and was able to play an entire round of MW2. The hottest it got was 57. I didn't think 61 seemed like a problem (maybe it got higher and that wasn't logged before the lock?), but it does to be running better with the fan turned up. Suppose I'll keep playing at it and see if it keeps.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2009 4:16:56 PM

That is odd. It was my understanding that the 5770s had a similar temp threshold to the 48xx series, about 110c. If that is the case, and you are hitting a thermal limit at 60c, then there is still something wrong with your card, and I would RMA it. But, having an XFX warranty means you can afford to find a way to run it for now, and wait for it to completely kick the bucket before your go through the hastle of RMA.
m
l
November 12, 2009 4:30:47 PM

Scratch that, locked at only 52 next time around. So yeah, its definitely not heat.

Fun enough, while I was cleaning everything out (they were still pretty pristine as I've only had the system built for a month. I effed something up and when I powered it back on woosh of smoke. Immediately powered it off, checked to see nothing blown. Powered it back up and everything is working fine. I have no idea what I just blew. Lovely.

But back to the problem at hand, I guess I'm just waiting for XFX to make some suggestion or I'll just see about RMAing.
m
l
November 12, 2009 4:36:58 PM

found what I killed, apparently in my rush to hook it back up I crammed something into one of my front fans and killed it, maybe I shouldnt be doing this after staying up the last 24h =\

edit: no, nothing crammed into it. the damn thing just went kaput on me. that's pretty lame. gonna be taking that back
m
l
November 12, 2009 5:01:23 PM

XFX replied back asking if I had another PC to test it in. I don't anymore. Or if I had another ATI card to try it in, advised I had a X1650 installed in it and the system was stable then. Then they asked me to verify all account information in case of warranty service. Could be RMAing it, maybe the next one will work. =|

I am thinking bad card though, whether it be the GPU or the RAM on it. Basic Windows functions they're both clocked way down and run fine, but fire up a game and they max.
m
l
November 23, 2009 3:16:01 AM

I think I have exactly the same problem. My computer is brand new. I got a Asus P7P55D motherboard with the ati hd radeon 5770 graphic card and I can't play 1-10 minutes of LFD2 without seeing my computer freezing and having to restart it. 10-20 minutes for Team Fortress 2. I'm lucky if I can play other games more than an hour.

Please, if you find the solution to that problem, put it here.

Thank you.

P.S. Sorry if my english isn't right. English is my second language..
m
l
November 23, 2009 2:28:53 PM

i bought a Sapphire HD5770 last week and i dont get i to work either :(  i cant get any iamge from the gpu :( 
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
November 23, 2009 2:34:10 PM

H@13X said:
I think I have exactly the same problem. My computer is brand new. I got a Asus P7P55D motherboard with the ati hd radeon 5770 graphic card and I can't play 1-10 minutes of LFD2 without seeing my computer freezing and having to restart it. 10-20 minutes for Team Fortress 2. I'm lucky if I can play other games more than an hour.

Please, if you find the solution to that problem, put it here.

Thank you.

P.S. Sorry if my english isn't right. English is my second language..

fillmeister said:
i bought a Sapphire HD5770 last week and i dont get i to work either :(  i cant get any iamge from the gpu :( 

The pair of you should start your own threads rather than hijacking this one, you may get more help that way and prevent the confusion of who's replying to who.
m
l
November 23, 2009 9:53:39 PM

Okay, sorry for the trouble...
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
November 23, 2009 10:09:03 PM

H@13X said:
Okay, sorry for the trouble...

thanks mate, I appreciate you taking the time.
m
l
November 26, 2009 1:56:52 AM

Well, I got a refund for my XFX 5770 as Newegg no longer had the first models in stock anymore. Used that money and got a new model Sapphire 5770 and it works like a charm. Must've been a faulty card.
m
l
!