OCZ Memory problems, need help please!

admilitaryman

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
This has been an ongoing battle since i put together the PC in december 09. I have yet to get this system stable and i'm convinced its the ram.

My Specs:
Intel i7 920 processor
Radeon HD 5850
Asus Rampage II extreme
OCZ 2Gx3gb OCZ3P1600LV6GK
Corsair TX 850W
Samsung HD 500G|SAMSUNG HD502H

I started getting BSOD's again after a week or two; most of which were memory management. So i took the sticks out and started testing them for a short, 1 pass test of Memtest86+. Here are my tests/results. *I have labeled my sticks A,B,C to make things easier.*

Test 1- A+ B+ C found (Slot 1,2,3)- 14k errors.
Test 2- Only A (Slot 1)- pass
Test 3- A + B (Slot 1&2)- Only recognized 2gb in bios and on memtest
-kept A (slot 1)moved B to slot 3, showed as 4gb
-kept A (slot 1) and moved B back to slot 2 and finally showed 4gb.
Eventually it passed with A+B sticks (Slot 1&2).
Test 4- Now A + B + C sticks again- Pass.

I was hoping someone could help me figure if the problem was a bad ram connection or if my memory controller on the i7 is bad or something of that nature. I've had numerous times while o/cing, etc where, during POST and in the bios it will only read 4gb instead of the 6gb. This has been confusing and i'm sure is the source of all the random BSOD's i get weekly.

*Note, ive had problems like this and gone as far as reaseating the processor/heatsink which fixed it, but then again i also removed all the ram sticks while doing this.

Please, if someone could help me i'd greatly appreciate it.

Solution

Could be either of those things. Certainly in your latest round of testing it sounds like it was the seating/connection of the RAM sticks. When you reseated the CPU, did you check for bent pins in the socket? If the problem keeps up that would be the next thing to check. See bilbat's sticky, and search for "i3/i5/i7 'Missing' Memory".

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009

Could be either of those things. Certainly in your latest round of testing it sounds like it was the seating/connection of the RAM sticks. When you reseated the CPU, did you check for bent pins in the socket? If the problem keeps up that would be the next thing to check. See bilbat's sticky, and search for "i3/i5/i7 'Missing' Memory".

Solution