How can I build a quiet PC for audio - under $1000?

pianistspath

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 12/05/2009 BUDGET RANGE: $800-1000 Rebates - don't know, but at this price, they'd sure help!

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: audio, video production - so quiet is a MUST - keep LOTS of apps, Firefox TABS open

Anything quieter than a Cosmo? ver. 1 or ver. 2?

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, HardDrives (although I'd like to get a new Raptor or speedy Large capacity, but either will take me over the top, won't it!), OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: I would like to use an Intel i7 CPU & <???> mobo with a substantial heat sink to reduce fan noise...with a Cosmo or similarly sleek, sexy-but-smaller case (haven't found one that to my "tasteful" eye competes though. ;) And, rats! the Cosmo's tray is fixed/not removable.

Which chip though? Is there a "sweet spot" right now?

And I've read good things about a certain series of MSI boards. Can you tell me which?

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe/I don't know enough about them - I don't need it for gaming, so probably not necessary. But i might overclock!

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1600x1200 - has anyone here gone "triple monitor"? {using what "bracket/rack"?}

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: NEED to have reasonable-maximum quiet AND the Cosmo case - unless there's an alternative nearly as aesthetic (esp. with a removable mobo tray)! {yes, I'm anal about looks and sleek operation! a snob, even - but it's my b'day; what else can I say?! ;}

Oh, finally, I'd love to keep the fan noise from the graphics card down. Again, silence.

Thanks for the help!

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I wouldn't be too fixated on the removable motherboard tray. I think that have a CPU cutout on the motherboard tray is a better design since the case can be sturdier and you can still have easy access to the back side of your CPU/heatsink. Just a suggestion that might help broaden your horizons.

Love the Cosmos cases, but better options (in my opinion) have come along since 2007.

pianistspath

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Oh, please...enlighten me! I don't know it all, by far - give me alternative suggestions, please.

I crave example, names of such cases.. What are those better option (IYO) - quieter, and/or sleeker/more lovely, and/or smaller. (but please, avoid the excessive "gamey" look, ergo "skull and crossbones" look: as an artist loving all design, I love well-designed ones, but they don't fit my personal style.)

I detect (from your post) you're a careful observer. Thank you for broadening my horizons! To whit...I'm all ears, ready to learn. Really. Show me the "better path."

battlemarz

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
As for cases look into the Antec Performance series. P183 P193 and Mini P180. If i have some time I will put together a build for you too.

I have the P183 and it is quite quiet using aftermarket fans and with the stock fans set to low via the switch on the back of the case. Great airflow and cooling with my overclocked i5-750 and 5850.

pianistspath

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks, guys!

I was looking at the Antec P183...looking good. Have to investigate the Mini.

Is the Sonata III good for such? {I'm an old Sonata I user...and I love the sound silencing "claims" of it, not to mention the "Musical" name.}

But, to my tastes, nothing quite matches the sleek, "Lamborghini" beauty of the Cosmo. Or ANY other (aesthetic) beauty. Yet, I may shift to something more practical. MAY. ;)

Thanks, Barry