Sign in with
Your question
Solved

[First Build] Basic part check

Last response: in Systems
November 4, 2009 7:58:01 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Sometime around Christmas (within a week)

BUDGET RANGE: $1500AUD

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Basic University and School Tasks (i.e Internet, Word, Powerpoint etc)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, monitor and maybe OS (Not sure to upgrade from XP to Windows 7

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg for pricing match, but since I'm an aussie (not sure why I'm on a US site) use http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=5 and http://www.computeralliance.com.au/

PARTS PREFERENCES: Parts that I plan on getting are:
CPU Intel Core i5 750 2.66ghz Quad LGA1156
MoBo ASUS S1156 P7P55D Deluxe Core i5
RAM DDR3 4GB G.Skill Trident 1600mHz PC12800
HDD WD 800GB AADS SATA 7200rpm w/ 32MB
Video Card Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB PCIe
Case Antec Nine Hundred 2 Black Case (No PS)
PSU Antec TruePower 650W TP-650
Optical Drive LiteOn 24x DVD Writer SATA BlackĀ 
Network Card D-Link DWA-556

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Crossfire comes with the Video Card (help?)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1280x1024

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Is this system configuration correct? Will the 650W PS be enough for the system? and most of all will it fit into the case?

More about : build basic part check

Best solution

November 4, 2009 9:11:11 AM

The psu is more than powerful enough.
For gaming, the graphics card might be a little weak. There are cheaper and equally good cases than the 902 (antec 300 for example, or even the sonata III, which is truly a bargain for its quality). You could save a little bit on the mobo and a network card is usually integrated in the motherboard. With the money saved, you could buy a 5770 or even a 5850, which will greatly improve your system.
You should also consider a Samsung spinpoint F3 as a HDD, it's easily the best price/performance HDD on the market today. It's fast, cheap and cool.

BTW: crossfire is putting two ATI graphics card in one pc, so you'd need to buy 2 cards to use it.
November 4, 2009 1:01:08 PM

Silmarunya said:
a network card is usually integrated in the motherboard.
The network card he added is a wireless N network card and I found no MB with integrated Wireless N controllers, which is a shame.
Related resources
November 4, 2009 1:02:56 PM

Oh yeah, I'm sorry about that. Didn't notice it was this type of card... :pfff: 
November 5, 2009 5:17:20 AM

I am looking to change the mobo (to another P7P55D), any ideas, should i go down to the evo?
November 5, 2009 7:09:06 AM

You wouldn't notice a thing, I guess. Such expensive mobo's, like the Deluxe, only seem to be helpful in crossfire solutions, not to mention that even a cheap Asus motherboard already means good quality.
November 5, 2009 9:01:37 AM

If you aren't into extreme overclocking or dual GPU, this motherboard is indeed more than sufficient.
November 5, 2009 7:14:35 PM

If I don't plan on oc'ing the CPU, is the stock heatsink that comes with the Core i5 750 sufficient? Or should I get a good aftermarket heatsink anyway just to keep the CPU cool?

btw looking at getting a Noctua NH-U12P heatsink, if I do buy one.
November 5, 2009 7:20:13 PM

With the stock cooler, you can get a tiny bit of overclocking with some luck, but it's not sufficient normally, certainly not for the real thing.
You need an aftermarket cooler. These things go from $20 to insane amounts. Ask yourself this: 'Do I want to give it a mild overclock, or do I want to squeeze every bit of power out of the bloody thing?'. In the first case, a decent entry level cooler is enough, if not, get something bigger and better.

Can't tell you much about that model, but it has a reputation for being silent and giving you enough room for some moderate overclocking.
November 6, 2009 4:33:24 AM

If i dont plan on oc'ing?
November 6, 2009 6:48:23 AM

Than the stock cooler is fine. The only thing an aftermarket cooler has in that case, is that they sometimes are a little bit less noisy. So no, there's no reason to get one if you're not overclocking.
November 6, 2009 9:32:16 AM

Thanks, more money saved to invest in a better GPU i guess
November 29, 2009 8:08:51 AM

Changed my HDD to a WD 1TB 32mb cache Green Power, GPU to a XFX ATI Radeon HD5770 and a Samsung 20" 2033SW+, anything change in power requirements? I also may not require the wireless adapter.
!