Solved

[First Build] Basic part check

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Sometime around Christmas (within a week)

BUDGET RANGE: $1500AUD

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Basic University and School Tasks (i.e Internet, Word, Powerpoint etc)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, monitor and maybe OS (Not sure to upgrade from XP to Windows 7

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg for pricing match, but since I'm an aussie (not sure why I'm on a US site) use http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=5 and http://www.computeralliance.com.au/

PARTS PREFERENCES: Parts that I plan on getting are:
CPU Intel Core i5 750 2.66ghz Quad LGA1156
MoBo ASUS S1156 P7P55D Deluxe Core i5
RAM DDR3 4GB G.Skill Trident 1600mHz PC12800
HDD WD 800GB AADS SATA 7200rpm w/ 32MB
Video Card Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB PCIe
Case Antec Nine Hundred 2 Black Case (No PS)
PSU Antec TruePower 650W TP-650
Optical Drive LiteOn 24x DVD Writer SATA Black 
Network Card D-Link DWA-556

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Crossfire comes with the Video Card (help?)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1280x1024

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Is this system configuration correct? Will the 650W PS be enough for the system? and most of all will it fit into the case?
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about first build basic part check
  1. Best answer
    The psu is more than powerful enough.
    For gaming, the graphics card might be a little weak. There are cheaper and equally good cases than the 902 (antec 300 for example, or even the sonata III, which is truly a bargain for its quality). You could save a little bit on the mobo and a network card is usually integrated in the motherboard. With the money saved, you could buy a 5770 or even a 5850, which will greatly improve your system.
    You should also consider a Samsung spinpoint F3 as a HDD, it's easily the best price/performance HDD on the market today. It's fast, cheap and cool.

BTW: crossfire is putting two ATI graphics card in one pc, so you'd need to buy 2 cards to use it.
  2. Silmarunya said:
    a network card is usually integrated in the motherboard.
    The network card he added is a wireless N network card and I found no MB with integrated Wireless N controllers, which is a shame.
  3. Oh yeah, I'm sorry about that. Didn't notice it was this type of card... :pfff:
  4. I am looking to change the mobo (to another P7P55D), any ideas, should i go down to the evo?
  5. You wouldn't notice a thing, I guess. Such expensive mobo's, like the Deluxe, only seem to be helpful in crossfire solutions, not to mention that even a cheap Asus motherboard already means good quality.
  6. If i dont plan to use dual GPU's should I use the basic version of the P7P55D: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131404&cm_re=p7p55d-_-13-131-404-_-Product

?
  7. If you aren't into extreme overclocking or dual GPU, this motherboard is indeed more than sufficient.
  8. If I don't plan on oc'ing the CPU, is the stock heatsink that comes with the Core i5 750 sufficient? Or should I get a good aftermarket heatsink anyway just to keep the CPU cool?

btw looking at getting a Noctua NH-U12P heatsink, if I do buy one.
  9. With the stock cooler, you can get a tiny bit of overclocking with some luck, but it's not sufficient normally, certainly not for the real thing.
    You need an aftermarket cooler. These things go from $20 to insane amounts. Ask yourself this: 'Do I want to give it a mild overclock, or do I want to squeeze every bit of power out of the bloody thing?'. In the first case, a decent entry level cooler is enough, if not, get something bigger and better.

Can't tell you much about that model, but it has a reputation for being silent and giving you enough room for some moderate overclocking.
  10. If i dont plan on oc'ing?
  11. Than the stock cooler is fine. The only thing an aftermarket cooler has in that case, is that they sometimes are a little bit less noisy. So no, there's no reason to get one if you're not overclocking.
  12. Thanks, more money saved to invest in a better GPU i guess
  13. Changed my HDD to a WD 1TB 32mb cache Green Power, GPU to a XFX ATI Radeon HD5770 and a Samsung 20" 2033SW+, anything change in power requirements? I also may not require the wireless adapter.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product