Upgrade my coputer

TeamEckx

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Hello guys I need some advice on up grading my computer. I build this computer roughly about an year ago. It still has some good stuff to it. What I would like to do with it is play crysis, wow, sc3 and diablo 3 on it and which movies. I'll be adding another hard drive to my computer, probably a 1tb. I will also be upgrading my ram to either 4gb or 6gb. I would like to change my cpu cooler to liquid cooling if possible. price isn't a problem. I want something that's worth it price not something that over price and it not all that great. Also suggestion on video card, I'm gonna get one for now, in the near future i will want to get antoher one. I also want to get a blue ray drive, what do you guys suggest? What do you guys reccomend windows 7 32bit or 64bit and home or ultimate? For the reference I will not be overclocking my system at all. I would like to keep my cpu and motherboard, and hopefully my case too. Everything else is fair play. Here's the spec i'm currently running on my comp.

CPU CASE-
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

MB-
ASUS CROSSHAIR AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU-
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Socket AM2 Black Edition

HD-
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Ram-
OCZ Reaper 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz (2x1024MB)

CPU Coole-
ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler

Power Supply- CoolerMaster 650W PSU Real Power Pro SLI Ready

-Thanks, Kevin

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I would say an ATI 5850 is your ideal card, but your board doesn't support CF so it appears you're stuck playing for Team Green (Nvidia) if you're determined to go the multi-GPU route.

You've got a tough decision to make... while your computer is still a capable machine, that motherboard is leading you down a dead-end... stock of the good Nvidia cards (275/285 GTX) are pretty much drying up... and that board takes DDR-2 so if you upgrade the RAM that definitely won't work with your next rig.

For the OS? Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit unless you have a specific reason for needing the Professional/Ultimate. If you don't know why you'd need those versions, odds are you don't need them.

Sometimes it's best just to use something until you just can't use it any more. I guess it's up to you how bad you need a new computer.

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Maybe a new faster hard drive too. WD Black or Samsung F1 or F3

Water cooling is overrated. You need to be an extreme overclocker in order to benefit from it, otherwise high end coolers like the Prolimatech Megahalem or TRUE is fine.

I would spend money on the core components first before doing water cooling. I would add an SSD or monster video card or new CPU/MB before doing water cooling. Plus, AMD CPUs don't overclock too well. Only the Phenom II is a good overclocker, all others are poor overclockers

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009

^+1 totally agree with you

The OP said "For the reference I will not be overclocking my system at all." that's funny, he just wants watercooling as a brag or whatever.

to OP: get windows 7 64bit home premium

by the way a good watercooling system needs to be at LEAST 500 dollars, or else it's not good enough. at least that's for me.