Need help with an IDE drive...

trickynick

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Hi Guys

I'm trying to convert an old IDE drive to SATA. I would like to use the drive onthe top of my case in the holder area where a HD can go (my case: CM690 II).

What would I need to buy in order to convert the IDE to SATA and have it fit in that spot?

If this thing is a SATA dock you are trying to plug into, the converter is not a good idea. It will probably not fit in the slot for one, and will be too loose to keep a solid conection even if it did fit somehow. Copy the data to a real SATA drive or use an external USB enclosure for your IDE drive.

he's trying to use it in the external dock for this case http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6638, I don't think any adapter will work well as those are made for a flexible power and data cable location not a rigid side by side configuration. You'd need a cable extender from the ports to the converter. By the time you get done with buying everying, you may as well get a new hard-drive which is a much more reliable way of doing this.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011

oh, I was thinking the top HDD slot. I didn't realize there was an external docking station. That is a pretty cool feature on the case. In that case I agree with you. Better off buying a new HDD.