Sign in with
Your question

Fx-8120 o'c heat issue

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
March 14, 2012 8:29:40 AM

i've seen people on here getting their 8120's to 4.5ghz on air. plz tell me how. i have mine @ 4.1 now and it idles at 25-27c. under prime it gets as hot as 63-64c. im @ 1.36v on chip as 1.38 gets to hot. i just got my thermaltake cpl0554, which is a 1600 rpm, 86.5cfm rating. note, im only using the multiplier to overclock the cpu, which is way better than stock cooler. im not sure if i know how to increase htt, and all that jazz.....

gigabyte 970a-ud3 board

More about : 8120 heat issue

March 14, 2012 9:15:55 AM

UGH!!!! sorry. I just had a huge reply typed out and the Toms site has an error!

Anyways. short story:
1. 63-64 isnt that hot if that is what it peaks at in Prime
2. Most games dont fully load the cpu like Prime
3. Bump your clock to 4.5 and if it gets up to the 90's close the program and back the clock off.
4. Your cooler got pretty good reviews, so if it does get that hot, try better thermal grease.
5. you should be able to get 4.5 easy if your case has decent airflow

That was the jist of it. Hope that helps. Good Luck!!
m
l
March 14, 2012 11:12:28 AM

aviconus said:
UGH!!!! sorry. I just had a huge reply typed out and the Toms site has an error!

Anyways. short story:
1. 63-64 isnt that hot if that is what it peaks at in Prime
2. Most games dont fully load the cpu like Prime
3. Bump your clock to 4.5 and if it gets up to the 90's close the program and back the clock off.
4. Your cooler got pretty good reviews, so if it does get that hot, try better thermal grease.
5. you should be able to get 4.5 easy if your case has decent airflow

That was the jist of it. Hope that helps. Good Luck!!

i used arctic silver alumina paste. would i have to bump voltage to achieve 4.5 ?
m
l
Related resources
March 14, 2012 11:54:18 AM

well i got my 8120 to it's max on my rig..

4.1ghz @ 1.38v, if i go any higher it blue screens or stops responding. no 4.5ghz here.... does my power supply have anything to do with it? i got a corsair 650w. highly doubt its my paste. and would hyper evo 212 really cool it better than what i got? and now on prime i hit 72c then it backs off to 71c.
m
l
March 14, 2012 12:04:57 PM

This is where my area of 'expertise' ends. As far as I know, every cpu is capable of different overclock speeds. I personally have an i7-920 and the highest clock I can get out of it w/o adjusting voltages is 4.0ghz before blue screening. Bsod is just your computers way of saying, "That's alittle to high for me dude." <-- When overclocking. If I were you and 4.1 is not enough for you, I would try researching specifically that others with that cpu, are doing to achieve higher clock speeds.
m
l
March 17, 2012 8:42:46 AM

aviconus said:
Bsod is just your computers way of saying, "That's alittle to high for me dude."

Not 100% true. I just KILLED my windows 7 x64 this past week OC'ing. No one could explain HOW either!!!
yeah, trust me... i did EVERYTHING possible to recover it.
I learned the HARD way to make a backup of DVD's to restore my rig after i had installed all my necessary proggys.

...just a word about BSOD

BTW OP, use OCZ Freeze if you can get your hands on it. It is BETTER than Arctic Silver. my GPU AND CPU are on average +/- (by 1 degree) 5 degrees cooler Celsius. THAT is no BS, man!
m
l
March 18, 2012 7:58:45 AM

Majestic One said:
Not 100% true. I just KILLED my windows 7 x64 this past week OC'ing. No one could explain HOW either!!!
yeah, trust me... i did EVERYTHING possible to recover it.
I learned the HARD way to make a backup of DVD's to restore my rig after i had installed all my necessary proggys.

...just a word about BSOD

BTW OP, use OCZ Freeze if you can get your hands on it. It is BETTER than Arctic Silver. my GPU AND CPU are on average +/- (by 1 degree) 5 degrees cooler Celsius. THAT is no BS, man!

thanks i'll try that or another paste if i need to.
m
l
!