Power my system... will it be enough..?

Deathgod121

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
Hey there everyone, how u all doing.:) i have a few questions regarding power i want to find out about.

I have a 500W but i can get my Hands on 550W power supply, i was wondering if i could run a ATI Radeon 4890 1gb GDDR5 Or NVIDIA Geforce 275 896MB DDR3 Edition- XFX/Sparkle with the following components,

Processor : AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ 2.8GHz Socket AM2
RAM : 3Gb DDR2 Kingston 800MHz
Hard Drives : 2 x 500gb SEAGATE (internals)
Motherboard : ASUS M2N-MX SE PLUS
DVD Writer : LG SATA DVD Writer
Case : Nitron Blue with 3 extra fans.

I was wondering is that enough power or will my system like blow up or something:):)

Would be extremely great if you could provide me with some help for my problem:)

Nash.

Can you give the specs of the two PSU's? THe difference in a 500 to a 550 depends on the make and model. There is MUCH more to a PSU besides it's wattage rating. But if either is a half decent unit, you will be fine.

your ram sucks to be 100% honest with you but your CPU is fine. Get 6GB DDR3 ram and you will squezze out some extra fps with either of those cards. IMO you should go for the GTX275^^
That might work, of course he'll have to file a new slot in the DDR3 ram to make it fit into the DDR2 slots on his motherboard, oops guess it won't work.

your ram sucks to be 100% honest with you but your CPU is fine. Get 6GB DDR3 ram and you will squezze out some extra fps with either of those cards. IMO you should go for the GTX275^^
Seriously, you need to stop with the negative comments. This is not a forum that tolerates negativity, especially toward newcomers.

To the OP: your RAM is fine. Unless you have a 64-bit OS it won't even see more than 4GB (plus you loose some memory mapping with a video card, so usually you can't see more than 3GB anyways on a 32bit OS). So not worries. Plus the suggestion was for DDR3, which your motherboard only supports DDR2. So that is an inaccurate suggestion anyways.

As far as the video card suggestions. The 4890 and GTS275 are direct competitors. I assume you will use this for gaming, so the best suggestion is to look at some reviews and see which card performs better for the games you play. I'd still like to see what power supply specs you have.

okini

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009

negative???? dude i just helped that guy. Ok his ram is fine but 3GB DDR2 wtf. Thats not enough. He would get better fps with a 6GB DDR3!

While that may be true, his mobo will NOT support DDR3 Ram, so your suggestion is without value... :ange:

He would have to upgrade his motherboard to install DDR3 memory. Also, more than 3GB most likely would not be recognized by his OS unless it is 64bit. Also, AMD chips have showed to show minimum benefit between DDR2 and DDR3 in gaming. Below is a test in crysis between the two. Although it is on a Phenom II platform, the results should be comparible with an Athlon 64 x2 system.

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1782/amd_phenom_ii_ddr2_vs_ddr3_performance/index11.html

Increasing the amount of memory would also not show a benefit unless he was capping out his physicall memory usage and his OS starts to use virtual memory. Im most cases though, it will load the items being used in physical memory (ie the game), and other items in virtual memory. It might have a slight impact on the game, but nothing major.

I think we need to address the OPs questions when he give us his power supply specs. The 4890 and 275 are pretty comparable with power requirements, so as long as his PSU is sufficient he is good to go.

Yes, it was negative, and wrong as well. I think you need to slow down a lil

Deathgod121

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
wow thanks for the quick responses.:) I have some Pro-case 500W and a cooler master 550 watt I'm not entirely sure what the amps or the voltage rail is? and about the ram most games these days only need like 2 gb max on the recommended side...

I have a 64x bit OS and my CPU obviously supports it so i think that should be fine my next step after the card will be getting a bigger PSU then motherboard and ram. But that's for the future.:)

Deathgod121

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
okay well i think i will go for the cooler master then hey:) if u think it would work better because of the brand then i will use it:0

Thanks again so much for the help guys it was good info:)

Deathgod121

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
haha, yep my friend has a procase external hard drive which is pretty good now all i need to is find a shop to get the card from?

Deathgod121

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
Hey guys i finally got my card i ended up with the 4890 but the XFX edition:) on my 500 W it runs perfectly:) its a good i recommend it:)