Vertex 2 Troubles booting/ random issue

Richard226

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
Im have been a great fan of the Vertex 2 and have had a few issues but they have all been easy to fix ...until now.

My system specs are Sabertooth X58, i7-950 , Vertex 2 160GB, 3x 1TB Hard drives.

The first issues i had was using the damn Marvel drivers (6gb sata connections) for those of you who dont know avoid those connections like the plague!

The issue that i am now having is really curious and it seems to be totally random happens 1 out of every 3 boots.

The system boots and then goes through the list of detecting everything until it got to Sata 6 connection (where my SSD was) and then failed to detect. I though ok strange but i will take out the cable and swap it to Sata 3 port so takes out the potential issue that it could be the port or cable.

Reboot same issue this time with Sata port 3..... Great!.. So i go into bios and instead of saying OCZ vertex 2 120GB Bios says that it is sand force 25gb...Curious.

Im at a loss as when i shut down the system and rebooted it found and started everything fine, looked at the firmware of the drive and that is fully updated to the latest version.

I am totally confused why this would happen, if it was a permanent error then i could understand but intermittent non detect and only seeing the drive as the driver program...no clue.

Anyone have any ideas or have had these issues, im worried that it is the first stages of the drive failing but if it is im not sure if i will go back to SSD as im getting bored of reinstalling Windows 7 (especially the upgrade only version, vista first then win 7) !

Thanks guys