TMPIN2 temps are 87-92C

pqa

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
According to Fanspeed and HWMonitor (Temp2 or 3 for FS and "TMPIN2" for HWM) I'm getting temps of 87-92C. I installed a new CPU recently, the Phenom II X4 965 and I'm currently running a mobo that only supports up to 120w on the Phenom II series (stops at 920 or 940, I forget). I didn't realize this at purchase, but I do have the 125w version of the 965. I've done 0 overclocking.

I'm getting bad performance in games when I can hear my fan "switch" speeds, the frames will drop for a second which causes minor freezes.

pinkeyes

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
I have this same "issue" with my Phenom II x4 940 (in both Speedfan and CPUID Hardware Monitor).

Speedfan is displaying inaccurate values. There are two kinds of temperature monitoring devices in place on motherboards, thermistors and diodes. If the diode is set to read as a thermistor it will give you unusually high numbers as you're seeing, and I'd imagine the opposite is true of a thermistor being read as diode (although I haven't experienced this personally).

To remedy the issue in speedfan, select the "configure" button on the "readings" tab.

Select the "advanced" tab.

On the "chip" drop-down menu there should be two choices, "AMD K10 at..." and another that is specific to your motherboard. Choose the one that isn't "AMD K10 at..."

There should be a list of values in the box below the drop-down menu.
On my machine the first three under the "Property" column being:

Temperature sensor diode 1
Temperature sensor diode 2
Temperature sensor diode 3

The "Value" column adjacent to these indicates whether it is being read as a thermistor or diode.

You can select one of these values and then in the "Set to" drop-down menu below set the "Value" to thermistor or diode.

---------

In my case the "Property" said diode right in the description and the "Value" was set to thermistor so it was fairly straight forward to just switch the "Value" to diode and the temperature came to a much more realistic ~35C.

I hope this helps!

nemanjaand

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
same problem with Phenom ll 965BE. I recently find that my mobo (GA-MA790X-DS4) has problem with flaming North*Bridge. I'm using my comp for 3d rendering.
Is there any suggestion about good mobo that supports DDR2 memory?

btw, temperatures with CPUID Hardware Monitor are TMPN0=32, TMPIN1=91-93, TMPIN2=80-83, cores=78-83, and I'm not using anything but Mozilla

Misko195

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

You temps is too high, take underclock you CPU until you buy another mobo...

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I am having that same problem with my gax58-ud3r it is a 1366 board but we have the same board. my northbridge idles around 55-60 and feels hot when I touch it. I tried everything, it has nothing to do with air flow, even when motherboard is outside of case it still runs hot. I tried applying a new layer of thermal paste and the temps didn't go down :( I will check back to see whats happening.

Misko195

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

Try send email to Gigabyte, must be some solution for this problem...