HP LP2475w vs Dell Ultrasharp u2410

RPB1975

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Hello all!

I am a new member and have been lurking here for quite a while (very useful information!)

Anyway, I am just finishing ordering the parts for a new system build. My previous builds have stood the test of time (6 years old and can run Windows XP, Vista, and 7 well) as well as games, photoshop, etc.

I do a lot of photo editing and shoot in RAW format, so I want a computer now that can keep up my hobby ;)

Below is the list of components I have already ordered:

- Core i7 920
- Xigmatek THOR'S HAMMER Heatsink with 2 Cooler Master 120mm fans
- Asus Rampage II Extreme
- 6 GB Corsair Dominator DDR3
- 2 640 GB Western Digital Caviar Blacks
- 1 1 TB Western Digital Caviar Black
- EVGA GTX 275 w/ 1.7 GB of Ram
- Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 Case
- Corsair 850 HX Power Supply
- Samsung DVD Burner
- Logitech G15 Keyboard and G9X Laser Mouse

The trouble I am having is picking out an LCD. I have two LCD's that I have narrowed it down to. Both are very good for photography, but I have had more people recommend the HP so far, and I haven't heard a lot about the Dell. I noticed that the Dell is on top of the LCD list here, but I have heard very different accounts from different photographers (my main source thus far...and they all give Apple Cinema displays the #1 spot). I have heard reports of some problems with color shifting on the HP, but it seems to be an issue that isn't across all units.

Any help making this decision is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Solution
I have an HP2475w and absolutely love it. I used settings and an .icc profile from this site:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

They also have a review of the Dell, which they say is comparable but cannot match the HP's contrast and black level.

For image editing a Spyder or similar tool is indeed a good idea. For movies, games, and internet/office I am very happy with the settings laid out on the above website.

r_manic

Administrator
Well, I think HP's displays are good, but you'll need good color correction. Get a Spyder to calibrate the monitor once you get it.

In any case, do you really need a GTX 275 for photo editing? I think you need to spend more storage than on graphics performance.

philologos

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
I have an HP2475w and absolutely love it. I used settings and an .icc profile from this site:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

They also have a review of the Dell, which they say is comparable but cannot match the HP's contrast and black level.

For image editing a Spyder or similar tool is indeed a good idea. For movies, games, and internet/office I am very happy with the settings laid out on the above website.

Solution

RPB1975

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks for the help guys. Any other opinions are greatly appreciated.

By the way, what is the best Spyder color calibrator to get....I found a lot of models ranging from $89 to $220.

Any other advice for good color calibrator?

RPB1975

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009

I am looking at getting a Spyder3Pro from BHPhoto (it is only $139 there). Is it worth getting the Elite? Is there even much of a difference between the two? Also, I use two monitors, can I calibrate both and then leave it attached to the main monitor, or will it only work one one monitor. As you can tell, I haven't calibrated my monitor before (I have had to do some guessing when preparing prints).

Also, the GTX 275 is for my gaming side. I got the extra RAM so that it won't even overflow into my onboard RAM as I won't run a lot of 64-bit programs (mainly photoshop). It is more than enough power for anything else I need. I thought about going with an ATI 5850, but I just don't like ATI. I think nvidia has much better drivers which is what switched me away from ATI in the first place.

shuttermonkey

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
These two do seem to be the best on paper in this price range, and I'm close to getting the U2410 but not yet pulled the trigger as the Dell forums have a number of complaints about green/ pink tints (although this does not seem to be across all units):

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19302919/19583511.aspx
http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19297120/19582596.aspx

Seems like the HP's are having similar issues (both use similar model panels from LG).

Dell is also waiting for firmware fixes to fix some known issues with graininess in Adobe and sRGB color modes - so you may want to hold off until this is released as you won't be able to flash the firmware yourself.

I'm still most likely to go the u2410 route, but will wait until some of the above noise dies down (that said, if an awesome coupon/ back friday deal comes through beforehand I'll go ahead and take my chances)

spoofedpacket

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
I'd say go with the HP. I recently had to decide and went with the 2475w. Paired up with a Pantone Huey Pro calibrator, it's really a stunning display for the money. Just try to find one marked with a 'Smart Buy' part number and save about $150.

Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead with Dell logos all over my home work area.

I agree, The GT200 cards are fine for CS4. With my 295, the viewport is very snappy.

Also, I think the Pantone products are superior to other calibrators in the $130 price range. I've never had a snag with mine in any version of Windows (XP, Vista64, Win7 x64). They update often and the profiler software is pretty solid. No serial numbers to keep up with either, as the firmware unlocks the software.

RPB1975

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Well, just wanted to report back on my decision. I went ahead and bought the HP....and *drum roll* I have zero tint changing, pink-colored tint issues with mine. I am really impressed with this display, and I think the only way I would get a better display would be if I went into the $1,500+ price range.

I am loving it so far! :bounce:

ponz924

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010

Hows that HP treating you? Still OK??

Ponz

tatko

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
Has anybody compared Hewlett-Packard LP2475w and Dell U 2410 actually side by side? After a whole day of reading, I can still not make up my mind... :whistle:

keith263

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
Hi forum members,

Must just be luck of the draw!
I have a the HP which suffers from a yellow tinge issue, really shows up against white or light grey backgrounds.
I have also seen two U2410's with green/pink tinting problems.
Recently bought the U2711 - has none of these issues and knocks the HP into a cocked hat!!
Buying a decent monitor is still just a lottery.

tatko

Distinguished
May 27, 2010

Thanks, Keith! Your words somehow rhyme with my intuition. Realism is always welcome. I don't think that mass production standards nowadays can faithfully remain within all those strict measurements in the reviews.
And you probably bought U2711... Anyway, I would without hesitation go for that monitor, or for the 30 inch model 3008WFP, was it not for my tight budget. The 24 inch is just that tiny bit too small for complex desk top work comfort and movies. The 25.5 inch category already falls into picture, would be workable, but there is no IPS anywhere close to the price of the 24 inch ones. So for the time being I have to stick to my ancient pair of Iiyama's pro 450, 19" CRT. At 85 Hz they still give me no headache after a full day's work...

zavalita

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010

Even an Eizo (S2233W,Samsung S-PVA panel) has the same flaws as the less noble brands. Mine had geen tint all over the lower third of the screen, such a shame. Of course, only visible with white backgrounds, but what a piss!