Core i7 930 FATAL ERROR in Prime95 on one of my cores

matt2155

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
I have a Core i7 930 overclocked to 3.8Ghz on the 1.3vcore

I have hyperthreading disabled, I ran prime95 a couple of days ago, and today aswell. I get this fatal error in 1 core everytime I stress test it.
Also the temps seem quite hot with hyperthreading off aswell..:(

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Please help :(

Hello,

You probably reached your limit of your CPU's OC'ing ability. I would downclock it until it doesn't give you the error (or if you keep getting the error, your CPU might be on its way out).

CPU's can be vastly different (even with the "same models"). Some are able to OC superbly without much effort, and well others will not.

Are you using the stock HSF? If so you will need something like the Hyper 212+ to cool off your CPU better.

Like Chainzsaw mentioned, you have the CPU over its limit and if you're already concerned about heat then instead of increasing the voltage just clock down the CPU. I usually get this same error when i need to clock down or raise the core voltage.

What type of CPU cooler are you using? I have the same case and the airflow in it is nice provided you put a fan or two up front to balance the intake/exhaust of air. However if you're using a stock cooler and overclocking that will always cause heat problems. You have a nice processor don't scrap it over heat cause this can be solved!

What type of thermal compound did you use when you installed the cooler? Also how long have you had the CPU and how long have you had it overclocked?

matt2155

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012

I have the Noctua thermal compound that the Noctua NH-D14 usually comes with.

I re applyed it a week ago aswell.

I have had it overclocked for about 2 years now, I even had problems overclocking it over 3.6 when it was brand new

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Are you sure 1.3V is enough to run 3.8GHz? One core failing and the rest still running usually means insufficient Vcore. I would try increasing the Vcore in small increments. Even if you had an i7 920 D0 revision which is supposed to be the king of the i7's for overclocking with low voltage, I would think 1.3V is borderline enough to run prime95 with no errors. I recall having to run my old i7 920 with a Vcore of 1.325 in order to hit 4.0GHz and run prime 95 with no errors and it was a D0 revision. Even with the antec620 cooler, I still hit 80'ish degrees. That is with hyperthreading on. I have been told turning off hyperthreading reduces temps and Vcore needed but I have tried that and I really didn't notice that much of a difference.

matt2155

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012

Well, I always keep the computer on, because I watch movies and fall asleep so it has been on for atleast 350 hours overclocked.