Sign in with
Your question

Need some expert help!

Last response: in Networking
July 3, 2004 1:27:39 AM

Hello, All!

I'm new to this forum, and actually surfed into this sight specifically to try and find help with a network question. Any and all tips would be most appreciated!!

At our office, we have just moved into a new building and have a new phone system installed. The phone system is Voice over IP, using Cisco equipment. We have a point to point T-1 which connects us to the phone service company. Our phones connect to the network jack, and our computers connect to a 10/100 port on the phone. Currently, the Cisco router is serving IP addresses to all users through DHCP. The systems all seem to be operating correctly, but here's where I'm looking to make it a bit more compliated.

The bandwidth to the internet is not currently adequate. While we have a T-1 point to point, at the service provider, they only have ONE T-1, so everyone who is connected to them point to point is sharing their one T-1 out to the net. What I'd like to do is add either a dedicated T-1, cable modem connection or other broadband to our network, and assign some of the computers to use that connection instead of the existing T-1. In our area, Comcast is offered a 4MBs/sec Cable connection for $95 a month, which would help a lot. However, my understanding is tha the computers must have IP's in the range of 172.22.x.x to get to the router. Since our phones are connected to the router, we can't change those IP's.

If I add say a cable modem, and it's plugged into another router, how would I connect it to some of the computers? Would you suggest I assign the new router an address on the same octet (If im using the right terminology 172.22.x.x?) If I did it that way, could we just use a different gateway and give those machines static ip's? Of course it does me no good to have some of the computers use a different broadband connection if it means that those machines can't be accessed by the rest of the network. Perhaps this is simple and I'm making it hard, but I'd very much appreciate any feedback I could get on suggested configurations.

Thanks in advance!

More about : expert

July 4, 2004 12:35:41 PM

Just make sure you get a NAT router that will allow you to change the entire IP address, not just the last one or two octets. Put the router on the same subnet as your existing infrastructure. Hook the router into your network and as you said, point your PC's to that gateway for outside traffic.
July 13, 2004 1:25:07 AM

I don't know if you are running VOIP only internally, or if you are dependent on the T-1 to call outside. If you are using the T-1 for external calls, you can set up a filter on the router and route all http, smtp, pop and whatever else you need to the new connection. Alternatively you could have the router load balance between the connections if you do not use VOIP externally. You should also consider the upspeed of the cable connection if you have a lot of outbound traffic, since $95 a month for a 4/4Mbs sounds very cheap.

---
I want my epitaph to be: "Moved to /dev/null"
July 28, 2004 12:48:33 AM

It's not an asynchronous connection. It is 4mbit down, 384k up.

However, concerning your problem. The easiest thing I can see happening is getting the Comcast service and bridging it to the T1, to get that extra little downstream. Any devices you have connected to the network would do fine either with static or dynamic IP addressing, though using static would mean it's easier to locate a specific PC on the network.

You can usually contact local telcos or cable providers to find out about getting another T1 (better option, in case one T1 goes down, for redundancy purposes), or you can scale your existing T1 for more bandwidth (another option).

The problem with using the Comcast is low upstream (though it may not be totally important), and support. You'd do better with a strictly business acc't. If you are having problems bridging the connection, Comcast will not assist you (I should know, I work for them). However, with a business acc't, they will work with you to resolve the problem.

Difference between res and business: res = this is what we offer, make your equipment work; business = this is what we offer, this is what you need, we'll try to make it work.

umheint0's phat setup --> <A HREF="http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html" target="_new">http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html&lt;/A><--
!