Sign in with
Your question

Need GREAT Wireless Router

Last response: in Networking
November 14, 2009 5:12:17 PM

I currently have a D-link DIR-635 wireless router and 50 Mbit/s cable modem. I have the 4 wire ports connected to 3 computers and a NAS. The NAS has a bit torrent client which I use frequently. I wireless stream videos and music from the NAS to my TV via a PS3.

The problems I am facing are:
1. I frequently get a DNLC error with the playstation when streaming videos
2. I frequently get disconnected from the media Server (NAS) when watching videos
3. With my laptop, I get errors that page cannot be loaded - even though the wireless signal is strong and I am connected to the router
4. If I have torrents running on the NAS, I have super slow speeds when connecting to work via VPN

So this makes me think the router is not strong enough to serve 2+ wireless clients (PS3, Laptop and Phone) as well as to manage the bit torrent downloads.

Can you tell me if the D-link DIR-635 is the problem and if so, what is a better router?

Thanks

More about : great wireless router

November 17, 2009 1:07:22 PM

Bump for an answer. I still need a great wireless router
January 24, 2010 11:50:04 PM

Hi, I'm in the same boat. I'm looking for a high quality wireless N router with some solid QOS. Currently, I have WRT150N and WRT300N Linksys routers both running DD-WRT. But the QOS on DD-WRT doesn't seem to work very well. My xbox ends up with a terrible latency even though I try to curb the other devices on my network that are sucking down bandwidth.
Related resources
February 9, 2010 9:36:39 AM

I'd recommend going wired gigabit ethernet for the PS3 which should free up the wireless side a lot. I experienced similar issues between my Windows box and my PS3 when trying to stream over wireless even with N routers. The problem is that the PS3 (at least mine) doesn't support N so getting a faster router doesn't really help all that much.
February 9, 2010 6:18:49 PM

the dir825 is active dual band 2 wireless networks running at the same time!
February 10, 2010 4:00:16 PM

I just bought a netgear wndr3700. It works great for me, but not many devices and small apartment.

This is also a dual band that has A LOT of options. It also has ALL gig ports, even the WAN is gig. It claims 500mbit+ WAN<->LAN(with firewall/SPI), but the only site I saw that tested this said they only got in the upper 400mbits.

Dual band 2.4/5ghz at the same time, multiple SSID support via Guest network, Broadband Usage Meter which can be set to log/warn/cut-off based on time of day.

Every review site this router has one of *the* best wireless ranges and stability they've ever tested.

It has gotten great to excellent reviews on all parts except 2. It has basic NAS support via a usb2.0 port that you can plug in to a USB-Stick or Disk-drive. The NAS is a bit underwhelming, but that's not what I bought it for. And it lacks print server support.

One review site claimed to have tested it at their apartment where they were about 200' from the device and had 5 internal and 1 external wall and they still managed 30mbits.

Another review wanted to test the wireless network under load. They had multiple video stream running at once, a few 720s and a 1080 and doing file transfers. They said the video streams were perfect while many other routers failed miserably with hick-ups in the video streams and overall bad network performance.

My last wireless router had 2 external antenna and my Wii got 2-3 bars. This one has no external antenna and it now gets 5.

DLink also has a good competitor model that does support print server. It's like the 855 or something.. some sort of 8xx.
February 11, 2010 9:31:12 PM

Cool, congrats, that sounds like a nice one.
!