Sign in with
Your question

Would this be a good idea/

Last response: in Overclocking
March 14, 2012 5:41:06 PM

Would it be a good idea rather than messing up my primary build, would it be worth the small investment of buying some really cheap components eg; cheap motherboard, processor, graphics card and like a 80gb HDD and a crappy case. Would it be a good idea to do that and practice watercooling before installing it in my primary system? if I dont mess up the crappy build I could alwas give it to a relative or something but would this be a good idea rather than destroying an intel i5 2500k with Radeon 7970 build?

Thanks in advance

Mac

More about : good idea

a c 330 K Overclocking
March 14, 2012 5:47:41 PM

I'd say, spend the money you would have spent on the crappy parts and get even better parts than you would have purchased with your initial plan. This is one reason why we leak test with a jumpered PSU before fully installing and powering up.

Watercooling doesn't leak unless you do it wrong. I know that some people will argue this with me, but it all comes back to doing it correctly to begin with.
a b K Overclocking
March 14, 2012 6:12:45 PM

rubix_1011 said:
This is one reason why we leak test with a jumpered PSU before fully installing and powering up.

^This. Plus it makes no difference if you run your loop with or without hardware attached - the hardware and cooling systems are independent of one another. You'd just be wasting money on old parts you'll never use again.
Related resources
March 14, 2012 6:13:31 PM

rubix_1011 said:
I'd say, spend the money you would have spent on the crappy parts and get even better parts than you would have purchased with your initial plan. This is one reason why we leak test with a jumpered PSU before fully installing and powering up.

Watercooling doesn't leak unless you do it wrong. I know that some people will argue this with me, but it all comes back to doing it correctly to begin with.

Thanks for the reply Rubix Okay, so scrap getting crappy parts and just go for a more expensive watercooling setup? can somone like help me with parts because I'm not sure I know I'll need a good pump, reservoir, tubing and radiators anything else I need? apart from coolants etc.
March 14, 2012 6:15:33 PM

Also where is the best site to get watercooling components from in the UK?
a c 330 K Overclocking
March 14, 2012 6:33:37 PM

Have you read through the watercooling sticky? I have it linked in my signature below. Most of the sites listed in there will ship internationally. Where's Moto at? He could point you in the best direction...I think he's from across the pond. :) 

The sticky has a lot of data to help you get started with some of your other questions. This will lead to more questions, but should at least take care of some of the initial stuff. We can help on the rest, but getting a good grasp will help you ask the next several sets of questions.

Welcome to the watercooling forum.
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 14, 2012 6:45:59 PM

I'm out in london atm, but I use specialtech.co.uk
Mostly, I'll post more once I'm back in notts at my Pc mate
Moto
a c 330 K Overclocking
March 14, 2012 6:49:51 PM

^ I knew he'd show up sooner rather than later. It's like he has Spidey-sense when we mention his name.
March 14, 2012 6:58:29 PM

Right I shall read the watercooling sticky then look at specialtech.co.uk then come back with any more questions I have and the parts I have chosen so far thanks guys

Mac
a c 330 K Overclocking
March 14, 2012 7:12:20 PM

Works for me...there's just a lot that new folks always ask, so I tried to put it all together in a single sticky.
March 14, 2012 7:16:16 PM

yeah that makes sense haha I'm reading it now
March 14, 2012 8:45:53 PM

Hey guys finished and I think I might be better off to start with going with a water cooling kit as it comes with everything. for example this is the one I am looking at - http://specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.php?pr...

Also would this Coolant be ok to put in it or should I use something else - http://specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/Mayhems-X1-Pre...

Last question I'm debating on case, whether to get the haf - x or spend a bit more and get the Corsair obsidian 800d, Any thoughts?

Mac
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 14, 2012 9:19:13 PM

Rx or ex kits mate, rs is not worth it anymore, and no coolant req. Just used distilled and a silver killcoil, maybe a drop of anti algae if you wish
Sorry I'm not much help, mobile is on edge signal :-(
Moto
a b K Overclocking
March 15, 2012 12:02:47 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
and no coolant req. Just used distilled and a silver killcoil, maybe a drop of anti algae if you wish

Sometimes I think the sticky should have this in big bold letters in that section.

Distilled water is the cleanest and best in terms of heat transfer.

Avoid EK nickel blocks - they're just not worth the worry and a full copper system is A) the best for heat transfer and B) resistant to any chemical corrosion since all the parts are made of the same materials (in short - no need for corrosion additives).

As for the case, it's up to you. I think the 800D has more "official" rad spots, but either one can be modded somewhat easily to allow for more rads :)  In general, modding will involve some simple cutting and drilling that you can do with a Dremel/multitool.
a c 330 K Overclocking
March 15, 2012 1:05:45 AM

It's how I gauge how well someone has read through the sticky and what to expect next. :) 
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 15, 2012 5:43:23 AM

Theres a sticky???
:p 
Moto
a c 330 K Overclocking
March 15, 2012 1:12:57 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Theres a sticky???
:p 
Moto

[:bilbat:3]
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 15, 2012 3:50:38 PM

Lol, I gotcha Rubix heheh :) 
sorry Bro, I refer people to you a fair bit mate so ofc I know theres a sticky :p 
Moto
a c 330 K Overclocking
March 15, 2012 3:53:10 PM

No worries; I was aiming for humor. :) 
March 15, 2012 4:24:28 PM

Hmm, I was hoping to make it look nice you know with like UV coolant etc but if that just messes everything up I might just go with distilled water. Also I will look for copper blocks rather than nickel thanks for that advice.

Mac
a c 330 K Overclocking
March 15, 2012 4:28:06 PM

If you used UV coolant wouldn't that ruin the effect of the Helix? The water flows around it, not through the helix, correct Moto (as the guy that owns 2 of them).

If you want UV, go with UV tubing, that might be more of what you are looking for. Most new folks always want that UV glow, but after time, you realize it doesn't really do much and you can do more, with less.
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 15, 2012 5:40:00 PM

Helix? I missed the bit where op was running a T-virus :p 
but yes, the earlier ones had the liquid running through the helix, wan't very good according to Alex so he re-designed and now the coolant/water flows around a solid helix,
is it pretty pic time?

yes, yes it is...

I'm not sure how Uv fluid would look in them, I just use distilled and a couple of killcoils (uv light kills crawlies)
I would surmise that it may be a touch O.t.t. and end up looking less than awesome though,
too much glow equals no,no,no
Moto
a c 330 K Overclocking
March 15, 2012 6:41:41 PM

I'm pretty sure he has the Frozen-Q helix bay version listed in his other thread.
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 15, 2012 10:24:31 PM

Aah, not sure I've seen that one :-)
**that thread, I'm familiar with Alex's range hehe**
Moto
a b K Overclocking
March 16, 2012 12:52:38 AM

You know...just in case Moto needs one in the front too ;) 
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 16, 2012 6:25:24 AM

I meant the thread Boiler, If you read my log you know I can't have anything facing forward in the drivebays because the bezel is up against the wall :p 
(barring a 25mm airgap)
thats part of the reson my dual bay res is mounted 'backwards' too
I saw the FrozenQ bayres as I was shopping for my babies though, nice enough but not my thing
Moto
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 16, 2012 1:26:20 PM

Aah, I have seen that but missed answering,
and senior moments at 32?
<just turned 36 on the 23rd feb, are I ancientzz? :p 
Moto
a c 330 K Overclocking
March 16, 2012 1:36:03 PM

I'm actually having a lot more fun in my 30's than in my 20's- kids/family, great career/income, far more knowledge...etc.

Anyway- sorry I was misleading on the Frozen-Q res...I distinctly recall thinking I had the correct thread, but that is obviously not the case.
!