Sign in with
Your question

First Build, Need a Motherboard

Last response: in Systems
November 4, 2009 6:11:38 PM

I'm looking to build a decent quality computer for gaming, and graphics work. I'm an engineering student, and I'm trying to get into design, I will be using this computer for working with solid modeling programs, along with gaming and watching a lot of movies/ TV shows. I am planning to use an intel core i5 CPU because it seems worth it to invest a bit more in a processor that will last a bit longer, but I'm having a hard time finding a motherboard that fits my needs. I would like to be able to use DDR2 because it is cheaper, and the technology isn't really there yet for DDR3. I'm looking to spend $100-150 if possible. Can anyone give me some advice?

More about : build motherboard

November 4, 2009 6:17:52 PM

there is no ddr2 i5 boards
m
l
November 4, 2009 6:19:54 PM

Well that's good to know, and that's fine, but I still need a motherboard.
m
l
Related resources
November 4, 2009 6:25:39 PM

The i5-750 (and the i7-860/870) both utilize an onboard memory controller... so it's not really up to the board manufactures to decide what type of memory to use. Intel says you're using DDR3 and that's that. Anyways, DDR2 prices have been climbing dramatically lately so unless you already have a stash of DDR2 this shouldn't be a problem.

I picked up an Asus Maximus Gene III for $185 from www.ewiz.com (they were real slow to ship, but that was $15 less than NewEgg) That's considered a high-end board, but that's what I wanted so that's what I got. I generally prefer ASUS so here's a list of Asus boards that'll work with that i5 you're lusting after...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

m
l
!