Closed Solved

Overclocking i7-960

Hello, I am trying to get help on overclocking my i7-960 I got about 6 months ago and I cant really find anything on it. Its not that popular because now that Ive done research the i7-920 is a lot more popular because you can just get one of those and OC it while paying much less. Hopefully someone can help me out with this because i am a noob at this overclocking stuff. Im considering buying books on this stuff but I am not completely sold on what hes advertizing and the way he does it sounds kind of scamy and a waste of money. Im getting off topic but you can check out the stuff im looking at and post what you think. It would be great if someone could give me a guide or advice anything really on this overclocking stuff. I am new to the bios to so when you discribe it could you put like *****(does this blah blah). Thanks guys.

Link to spam site removed by moderator.
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about overclocking
  1. Hello, I am trying to get help on overclocking my i7-960 I got about 6 months ago and I cant really find anything on it. Its not that popular because now that Ive done research the i7-920 is a lot more popular because you can just get one of those and OC it while paying much less. Hopefully someone can help me out with this because i am a noob at this overclocking stuff. Im considering buying books on this stuff but I am not completely sold on what hes advertizing and the way he does it sounds kind of scamy and a waste of money. Im getting off topic but you can check out the stuff im looking at and post what you think. It would be great if someone could give me a guide or advice anything really on this overclocking stuff. I am new to the bios to so when you discribe it could you put like *****(does this blah blah). Thanks guys.

Link to spam site removed by moderator.

Any guide you find on overclocking the 920 is 100% relevant to overclocking your 960. Honestly you should be able to find a beginners guide to overclocking the 920 and follow the exact same steps to achieve the goal you want.

That said, please please please don't pay for a guide. It's a scam. All of the information that would be in it is free on google.
  2. Best answer
    That is an absolute waste of money. Also his site won't immediately let you leave. What a scam.

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/22106-core-i7-overclocking-guide-beginners.html

It may seam like a lot to take in but overclocking that chip can be done easily.

download prime95 and coretemp. They are both free and vital to overclocking. That guides details the i7 920 D0 revision which needs less voltage to overclock than your 960 which is another reason people want them.

Here is a very easy overclock for you:

Go into the BIOS and change the BCLK to 167 with a max cpu mulitplier of 24.
    Go into the cpu configuration and turn off intel speedstep, turbo and any other termal safeguard that will throttle your cpu back to stock frequency
    Increase the qpi voltage to 1.35
    Increase the CPU Vcore to 1.375(this is the max according to the intel spec sheet)

Leave everyting else on auto. Restart and run prime95 along with coretemp to monitor temperatures. Another good tool is to simply use the cpu meter gadget that you can get for windows by right clicking on the desktop and selecting gadgets and them choose more gadgets which takes you online to a place where you can download it.

If your computer freezes and shuts down, you need to either lower the mulitplier to 23 which gives you 3.84GHz or increase the Vcore to maybe 1.4V and keep 4GHz as the cpu frequency. If your computer does not shut down but one of the threads shuts down, then you need to slightly increase the cpu vcore until you can run prime95 and be 100% stable. Running 1.2-1.375v is safe according to intel but running any higher degrades the life span of the chip. Most people will tell you that running as much as 1.45 is ok but I like to keep it around 1.4V. Over 1.6V is very dangerous and will kill your cpu fast. I think the average lifespan is 20 years so I would not be too concerned about losing some of that time to overclocking.
  3. Best answer selected by jsc.
  4. It has been 6 weeks, and ravanger still only has one post. It really looks like he is not looking for help.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking Intel i7