Raid gone on reboot

tavon

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
My system has 2 SATA 2 ports on which I have Windows home server in a raid 0 and 6 SATA three ports which I have attached 6 * 3TB caviar greens in a raid 5 array.

The Sata 2 ports are controlled by a Gigabyte BIOS and drivers
The problem SATA 3 ports are AMD drivers and BIOS

The server has restarted a few times due to Microsoft updates and all has been fine, today I restarted it today and the raid 5 array has gone.

the drives appear in AMD raidXpert as available and not assigned.

Is there any way to get this raid back, without having to create a new raid and copy the data back in to it from my backup.

MB is Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H

tavon

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
How?

In the AMD RAIDXpert windows software there are 6 disks in the physical drive section and nothing in logical drive where my RAID should be, there is no RAID restore option in the logical section as as far as the software is concerned no RAID has been set up.

jpidata

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
the RAID configuration corrupted, Windows is not able to rebuild itself. if your data is important, I strongly encourage you send all drives to a professional data recovery company before all chances of recovery are lost.

www.ontrack.com
www.timdatarecovery.com

tavon

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011

All the data is backed-up on other drives. it's just that if it is not an easy fix, then if the RAID has disappeared, corrupted, once it will probably do it again and it's a real pain to copy the data back in to the RAID.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Western Digital only recommends the 3TB Caviar Green drives for residential RAID 0 or 1. I've seen a lot of people complaining about caviar green disks dropping out of raids due to timeout issues.

Personally, I'd get different drives for a RAID 5 and rebuild from your backup, or just split the RAID up and use them in some other solution. You could do individual disks, individual RAID1s or possibly RAID1+0 (I would assume 1+0 would work if both individually are recommended by WD).