Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Best CPU cooler for the price

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
March 15, 2012 12:10:22 AM

I am looking for a CPU cooler that will be way better than my stock cooler that I have for my AMD 965. I might plan to overclock. I was looking at the Cooler Master V6GT cpu cooler and I am pretty happy about it but I heard it is pretty loud. Or what about the Hyper 212+?

What is the best that I should get? V6 VS V8 VS 212?

Recommend me some other good ones for around 50 dollars.

More about : cpu cooler price

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 15, 2012 12:52:30 AM

The Frio is also good. But, that may cost around $60. I would go Hyper 212 Evo with dual fans push/pull.

Hope this helps! ;) 
a b à CPUs
March 15, 2012 3:45:26 AM

HostileDonut said:
The Frio is also good. But, that may cost around $60. I would go Hyper 212 Evo with dual fans push/pull.

Hope this helps! ;) 

+1 for the Evo

The NZXT Havik 140 does a great job at $60.
Related resources
March 15, 2012 5:25:42 AM

go for hyper 212+
March 15, 2012 3:06:35 PM

I have the FRIO... it has a MIR of $20 when i bought it a few weeks ago (end of Feb). brings the price down to $40 and i like it alot.
March 15, 2012 4:25:29 PM

How is the sound on the Frio? I hope it's really quiet...

Also, will this fit in my Antec 300?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 15, 2012 4:30:48 PM

Those are all nice coolers, but the Corsair A50 and Corsair A70 have the Easyest Installation for AMD, Its easy. all you do is take the adapter and run it through the middle of the cooler and clamp it down. and done (Make sure you have good Thermal paste as well)
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 15, 2012 4:31:14 PM

Should fit, but it isn't a really quiet cooler, but it does a great job. If you want quiet, look into water cooling.
March 15, 2012 4:59:21 PM

I wonder if it is quiter than the amd stock fan. That thing is too loud.

I looked around and people said it's pretty quiet. What is the quitest cpu fan cooler that it really good?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 15, 2012 5:02:54 PM

kamuran55 said:
I wonder if it is quiter than the amd stock fan. That thing is too loud.

I looked around and people said it's pretty quiet. What is the quitest cpu fan cooler that it really good?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... That cooler is a beast of an air cooler, but for being quiet, look into water or a liquid cooler.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 15, 2012 5:04:08 PM

kamuran55 said:
I wonder if it is quiter than the amd stock fan. That thing is too loud.

I looked around and people said it's pretty quiet. What is the quitest cpu fan cooler that it really good?

But the Frio is still great. I heav heard it is quiet, but i have also heard it is loud. It is all relative, but I don't know how quiet you want.
a c 218 à CPUs
a c 105 K Overclocking
March 15, 2012 5:44:07 PM

Donut you are backwards on the noise issue. Big air coolers are more quiet than the self contained water coolers. I can't even hear my Scythe Mugen. Larger fans make less noise than smaller fans.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 15, 2012 5:45:31 PM

anort3 said:
Donut you are backwards on the noise issue. Big air coolers are more quiet than the self contained water coolers. I can't even hear my Scythe Mugen. Larger fans make less noise than smaller fans.

Are you sure that is just isn't your cooler that is quiet? I have heard a lot of loud air coolers and water coolers send to be pretty quiet.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 15, 2012 7:12:24 PM

I don't know if I am missing something, but those were water coolers against water coolers. How does that prove that air coolers are more quiet? I am not saying you are wrong, but I just don't get how that proves something.
a c 218 à CPUs
a c 105 K Overclocking
March 15, 2012 7:24:30 PM

HostileDonut said:
I don't know if I am missing something, but those were water coolers against water coolers. How does that prove that air coolers are more quiet? I am not saying you are wrong, but I just don't get how that proves something.



The Silver Arrow and the Intel reference coolers are air. Most big air coolers are about equal or more quiet than reference.

It even mentions the Silver Arrow is almost silent.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 15, 2012 7:27:33 PM

anort3 said:
The Silver Arrow and the Intel reference coolers are air. Most big air coolers are about equal or more quiet than reference.

It even mentions the Silver Arrow is almost silent.

Alright, well cool. Didn't know that, I had always heard water cooling was silent and mine seemed to be pretty silent. But, I guess i learn somethin' new everyday, right?
a c 110 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 15, 2012 7:35:25 PM

the 212+ or 212 evo are hard to beat for the price(and they install in any direction. Something many coolers lack on the AMD side). They are not overly loud, but not silent either.

Anything becomes quiet after using the stock 955(same heatsink as the 965) BE heatsink :) 
a c 218 à CPUs
a c 105 K Overclocking
March 15, 2012 7:39:44 PM

nukemaster said:
the 212+ or 212 evo are hard to beat for the price(and they install in any direction. Something many coolers lack on the AMD side). They are not overly loud, but not silent either.

Anything becomes quiet after using the stock 955(same heatsink as the 965) BE heatsink :) 



I love how easy it is to mount AMD heatsinks but you are right about them being loud. Sounds like a leaf blower in your computer!
March 15, 2012 11:03:13 PM

Can anyone measure how long the frio is from the bottom plate where you apply thermal compound to the bottom of the fan?

I took off the heatsink on my corsair vengeance ram and I wonder if it will clear. I would have low profile ram now, I guess.

How is the frio compared to the V6GT?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 15, 2012 11:23:55 PM

kamuran55 said:
Can anyone measure how long the frio is from the bottom plate where you apply thermal compound to the bottom of the fan?

I took off the heatsink on my corsair vengeance ram and I wonder if it will clear. I would have low profile ram now, I guess.

How is the frio compared to the V6GT?

With low profile RAM you should be fine. It beats the V6GT. Pretty sure about it.
March 15, 2012 11:33:22 PM

Should I use the thermal compound it comes with or buy my own?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 15, 2012 11:39:11 PM

kamuran55 said:
Should I use the thermal compound it comes with or buy my own?

I think the stuff that comes with it is decent, but you could also buy some higher quality stuff like Arctic Silver 5 or MX-4.
March 16, 2012 12:02:40 AM

Is there any other CPU cooler that I should look into that's better than the Frio? It's hard to decide lol. I decided over the V6. Everywhere I look it seems to be worse than the Frio.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 16, 2012 1:37:45 AM

kamuran55 said:
Is there any other CPU cooler that I should look into that's better than the Frio? It's hard to decide lol. I decided over the V6. Everywhere I look it seems to be worse than the Frio.

There is a new Frio OCK I think is what it is called, I am not sure, but it is more than $50. For around $50 I think the Frio will be the best.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 16, 2012 1:59:10 AM

Quote:
It weighs a LOT 1042 g :o  compared to a Hyper 212+ say @ 626g or evo @ 580g.

Yeah, but it's a good cooler. It's not like he is gonna be caring his PC around, and that is really the only way he will damage it.
March 22, 2012 4:53:45 PM

Not sure if its too late, but the FRIO can be loud or soft, depending on the setting obviously. when i'm on BF3 at ultra, i want to have it humming away, it keeps my computer at 40C under load, 28C idle. i'm not too worried about the noise bc i have nice speakers. but its not jet engine loud... its a big ass double fan. its going to make noise, but from what i have seen, its got the lowest decible ratings for its class out there, if you believe them...
March 23, 2012 12:41:46 AM

e56imfg said:
+1 for the Evo

The NZXT Havik 140 does a great job at $60.


dont get nazxt havik 140 its loud and annoying im changeing do a noctua DH`14
March 23, 2012 12:42:25 AM

HostileDonut said:
There is a new Frio OCK I think is what it is called, I am not sure, but it is more than $50. For around $50 I think the Frio will be the best.




the frio is to loud its a piece of crap
a c 117 à CPUs
a c 182 K Overclocking
March 23, 2012 2:21:49 AM

The Frio and V6GT are good coolers on par with each other performance wise.
Both are on the big side(165mm tall) and louder then most other air coolers.
Neither are great choices if you have tall ram with all dimms filled.
I would choose a 160mm tall cooler for a 300.(doubt 165mm tall coolers will fit).
212+ or EVO = Best choice!
March 24, 2012 4:46:14 AM

It's still really hard for me to decide. The FRIO seems a little better because of the bigger heat pipes. The Cooler master seems to be really good to. I really do not know what to do.

I do not have to worry about the dimms, I pulled off my heatsinks.

What do you guys suggest I do?

And how the hell is the Frio a piece of crap?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 24, 2012 5:31:28 AM

davcon said:
The Frio and V6GT are good coolers on par with each other performance wise.
Both are on the big side(165mm tall) and louder then most other air coolers.
Neither are great choices if you have tall ram with all dimms filled.
I would choose a 160mm tall cooler for a 300.(doubt 165mm tall coolers will fit).
212+ or EVO = Best choice!

The CM 520n is also a great cooler for the price. The offset design is well suited for front/back case fan placements.

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 24, 2012 4:35:05 PM
Share

kamuran55 said:
It's still really hard for me to decide. The FRIO seems a little better because of the bigger heat pipes. The Cooler master seems to be really good to. I really do not know what to do.

I do not have to worry about the dimms, I pulled off my heatsinks.

What do you guys suggest I do?

And how the hell is the Frio a piece of crap?

Just get the Frio or the V6GT and call it a day. The V6GT also changes colors if that interests you at all.
April 1, 2012 4:20:16 AM

Best answer selected by kamuran55.
!