Best CPU cooler for the price

kamuran55

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
I am looking for a CPU cooler that will be way better than my stock cooler that I have for my AMD 965. I might plan to overclock. I was looking at the Cooler Master V6GT cpu cooler and I am pretty happy about it but I heard it is pretty loud. Or what about the Hyper 212+?

What is the best that I should get? V6 VS V8 VS 212?

Recommend me some other good ones for around 50 dollars.

Solution

Just get the Frio or the V6GT and call it a day. The V6GT also changes colors if that interests you at all.
Those are all nice coolers, but the Corsair A50 and Corsair A70 have the Easyest Installation for AMD, Its easy. all you do is take the adapter and run it through the middle of the cooler and clamp it down. and done (Make sure you have good Thermal paste as well)

kamuran55

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
I wonder if it is quiter than the amd stock fan. That thing is too loud.

I looked around and people said it's pretty quiet. What is the quitest cpu fan cooler that it really good?

But the Frio is still great. I heav heard it is quiet, but i have also heard it is loud. It is all relative, but I don't know how quiet you want.

D

Deleted member 217926

Donut you are backwards on the noise issue. Big air coolers are more quiet than the self contained water coolers. I can't even hear my Scythe Mugen. Larger fans make less noise than smaller fans.

Are you sure that is just isn't your cooler that is quiet? I have heard a lot of loud air coolers and water coolers send to be pretty quiet.

D

Deleted member 217926

The Silver Arrow and the Intel reference coolers are air. Most big air coolers are about equal or more quiet than reference.

It even mentions the Silver Arrow is almost silent.

Alright, well cool. Didn't know that, I had always heard water cooling was silent and mine seemed to be pretty silent. But, I guess i learn somethin' new everyday, right?

the 212+ or 212 evo are hard to beat for the price(and they install in any direction. Something many coolers lack on the AMD side). They are not overly loud, but not silent either.

Anything becomes quiet after using the stock 955(same heatsink as the 965) BE heatsink :)

D

Deleted member 217926

I love how easy it is to mount AMD heatsinks but you are right about them being loud. Sounds like a leaf blower in your computer!

kamuran55

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
Can anyone measure how long the frio is from the bottom plate where you apply thermal compound to the bottom of the fan?

I took off the heatsink on my corsair vengeance ram and I wonder if it will clear. I would have low profile ram now, I guess.

How is the frio compared to the V6GT?

With low profile RAM you should be fine. It beats the V6GT. Pretty sure about it.

kamuran55

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
Is there any other CPU cooler that I should look into that's better than the Frio? It's hard to decide lol. I decided over the V6. Everywhere I look it seems to be worse than the Frio.