Sign in with
Your question

Tips for an Phenom II 955?

Last response: in Motherboards
May 4, 2010 9:14:27 AM

Hello all,

Am looking to buy a new AMD Phenom II 955 BE at 3.2 GHz, MBOX model. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'm wondering if there are any specific chipsets I should look at to get the best performance out of this beast? If anyone happens to have any outstanding choices for motherboards in mind, please share them. Though I'd prefer something around or under $100, price is really no object.

Also, I've heard conflicting views on AM3-only boards being "better" than AM3/AM2+/AM2 boards when using AM3 CPUs. Any validity in these claims?

Thanks in advance,
M.W.

More about : tips phenom 955

a b V Motherboard
May 4, 2010 9:50:10 AM

Well, not really, board features matter a lot more. Most decent AM3 motherboards have good overclocking features. I suggest the Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 if you only want to use one graphic card, because it's pretty cheap. Anyway, AM3 CPUs in AM2+ boards have their HyperTransport bus speed to speeds of HyperTransport 2.0, although you wouldn't see much of a performance difference, while in AM2 boards the HT speed would drop to HT 1.0 speeds, and you might see a noticeable performance difference there.
m
l
May 4, 2010 5:59:47 PM

Lmeow said:
Well, not really, board features matter a lot more. Most decent AM3 motherboards have good overclocking features. I suggest the Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 if you only want to use one graphic card, because it's pretty cheap. Anyway, AM3 CPUs in AM2+ boards have their HyperTransport bus speed to speeds of HyperTransport 2.0, although you wouldn't see much of a performance difference, while in AM2 boards the HT speed would drop to HT 1.0 speeds, and you might see a noticeable performance difference there.

Mm. I have been eyeing that one Gigabyte for some time. So a vanilla 770 would do just fine? And a 790X/FX wouldn't show much improvement over that? Or one of these new 800-series chips?

Oh, and to clarify, the rumors I heard were comparing between a board like the one you listed, that only accepts AM3 processors, and one that supports all three sockets.
m
l
Related resources
May 23, 2010 6:39:17 AM

One more bump, and then I'll select best.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 23, 2010 6:48:17 AM

Get the AM3. Those who support AM2 AM2+ are older mobos.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 23, 2010 1:24:49 PM

I recently got an Asrock 880G Extreme edition which seems great. I normally only buy Asus or Gigabyte but I couldn't find any reviews on there 880G boards and the Asrock got a few great ones and was cheaper. If your not bothered about USB 3 or SATA 6 or useing integrated graphics you may get a better deal on an older chipset.
m
l
!