Closed

Increase size of c:drive partition

My hard drive is divided in 2 partitions. I need to
increase the size of C: partition. Is this possible with
out reinstalling XP pro?
9 answers Last reply
More about increase size drive partition

    I have used Partition Magic for years and have had very
    few problems with it. In my experience, at least with the
    pre 8.0 versions of Partition Magic, everything should be
    okay if you do not move the starting sector of your boot
    (C:) partition. In your case, I would plan on moving the
    start of my second partition and reducing the size of the
    second partition to free up some expansion space. After I
    have done that and I have verified that the system still
    works, I would then expand the boot partition to utilize
    the new free space and increase the size of the C: drive.

    There are probably other ways and other products to do the
    same thing, and Partition Magic version 8 and XP might
    provide more options than what I have been used to working
    with in previous versions of both products.

    <peyton@truckequip.com> wrote in message
    > My hard drive is divided in 2 partitions. I need to
    > increase the size of C: partition. Is this possible with
    > out reinstalling XP pro?

    basically yes although not natively with the OS
    one way of doing it is to use a relatively cheap but good product called
    Acronis Partition Manager
    http://www.acronis.com/products/diskdirector/partitioning.html

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 12:24:07 -0700, "htk"

    www.bootitng.com (Boot It NG aka BING) works for me!

    >-------------- ---- --- -- - - - -
    "I think it's time we took our
    friendship to the next level"
    'What, gender roles and abuse?'
    >-------------- ---- --- -- - - - -
  4. :hello: Partitioin Magic has not been upgraded for quite a long time and it cannot support Windows 2003 server . Among other third-party partitioning software, I like easeus partition master, which is most cost-effective. If your OS is not server and 64 bit, it is free to use. unlike other software, it can increase ntfs partition without reboot, you may check:
    http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-partition-manager/extend-system-partition.htm
  5. Window server and Vista allows you to extend the system if there is some free space next the system partition that you want to enlarge. If there isn’t any free space besides the system partition, you may delete the partition to spare out some unallocated space for the partition that you want to enlarge.

    If you are not using Windows Vista or some other partition software that doesn’t allow you to increase system partition with the Disk Management tool. Here is some Free partition tool that can help you ease this job even if there is not any unallocated space. It also does not need a reboot after you extend the system partition. RAID is also supported. How to Extend Windows System partition without reboot?

    By the way, backup is also recommended, please refer to How to copy partition to backup data?
  6. I installed Windows 7 system, but cannt extend my system partition with disk manager. I saw an instruction about: extend system partition , use freeware Partition Assistant to do this.
  7. for win 7.. please try the below URL. It fixed the issue for me..

    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2670-partition-volume-extend.html
  8. To expand/extend system boot partition and increase its free space in Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows 2003 is very difficult to do in the past time, because their built-in Disk Management did not provide the functions of extending partition or shrinking partition, this would have to use third-party tools such as Partition Magic, Disk Director, and other partition management software to accomplish the extending volume operation.

    Here is a freeware tutorial that can do the trick and help you without system xp reinstall but get your c safely extended.

    http://www.geeksdo.com/howto-resize-partition-with-partition-wizard-home-edition.html
  9. This topic has been closed by Buwish

Configuration Hard Drives Partition Microsoft Windows XP