RAM tests complete: need advice!!!!

crispy7

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
So because i dont trust the people at cyberpower any more, i need some opinions from you folks who have half a brain about computers, cause this seems to me like conclusive results here...

I have been getting a blue screen error on cold PC boots ever since getting the rig back from cyberpower for having a bad motherboard(new one now).
Despite people [on this website telling me this test would be inconclusive, i did it anyway and here are my results...

2 RAM sticks; RAM A. and RAM B. - When both are inserted i get a blue screen error with both the overclock settings on and off

RAM A. in MOBO port 1 - no overclock successful cold boot 3 out of 3 times, with OC successful cold boot, 3 out of 3 also worked everytime.
RAM A. in MOBO port 2 - also perfect 3 out 3 successful PC boots...

RAM B. in MOBO port 1 - failed everytime with and without the OC settings - failed 3 out of 3 times attempted. windows failed to launch and bluescreen error
RAM B. in MOBO port 2 - also failed every boot attempted with multiple settings tried. windows failed to launch and blue screen error.

BTW this test was done over the course of 5 days to ensure i was getting true "cold" boots, because it seemed only then was i getting any problem

SOOO my conclusion when cyberpower calls me after lunch time is that RAM stick B is indeed defective, and they owe me another one god da**it!! Right?????

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
When you say "port 1" and "port 2", what exactly are you talking about? The physical slots the RAM should go in are the second and fourth slots from the CPU. Is that what you mean?

Stick B sounds bad. Did you try with Auto settings and with timings and V set by hand? May even try upping the V, but don't go past 1.65V.

Memtest86+ should run, did you run the latest (version 4)? http://memtest.org
Download the ISO and then you have to burn it to a CD as a bootable disc. You can't just copy the files there, they have to be burned as an ISO image. This is possible with Windows 7 but in earlier OSes you have to use another program to do it, such as Nero.

crispy7

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
when i say port 1 and 2 i am referring to the two slots on the motherboard (2nd and 4th; which are the two white slots) the sticks are supposed to go in. I tried the RAM sticks one at a time in both of those slots to insure it wasnt the MOBO causing the problem. Yea we adjusted it to 1.64v i believe when the problem first happened. And yea i did exactly what you said about the memtest86 being burned onto a cd as a ISO image, i followed the websites directions exactly. It would boot from the cd boot would not allow me to do anything in the menu it brought up.

It has to be the RAM stick B, the PC will not boot correctly at all if it is inserted in either slot regardless

crispy7

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
i am actually only running the PC with the one working 2gb RAM stick, but it is inserted the 4th slot and the 2nd is empty, is that cool or does it matter which one i have it in?

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009

That's fine. When you run with one stick it can be in either the 2nd or 4th slot.