Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Fan Issue - Case fans and Thermaltake FRIO

Last response: in Overclocking
March 15, 2012 3:04:56 PM

I have a Corsair 400R from cyberpower. It has two intake fans on the front and side, one on the bottom, and two exits in the back and top. It also has a Therm FRIO on the mobo (dual push pull) over the i5-2500k and of course the GTX 560 Ti has its own internal fan.

I have the NZXT 30w - 5 fan controller preinstalled by cyberpower. when i move the dials, there is no audible change in the fan speed. i opened her up but its difficult to get to the back of the controller. but i can see wires are all hooked up to it and power is there bc the light is on.

When i run speedfan it shows me 3 fans. changing fans 1 and 3 from 0% to 100% do nothing. the case fans just keep humming away. the fan 2 i believe controls the FRIO as going from 100% (Purring like a jet engine) to 0% (still spinning but noticably less noise) changes the biggest fan.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how to proceed? i'm new to this level of gaming rig. should i remove the fan controller and start from scratch (i consider myself a novice on comp hardware), or leave as is?

also note, when playing battlefield 3 on High for an hour, the temps on the GPU get up to around 70-75C, while the CPU and other areas were in the 40s. only something called AUXTIN got up to 120C (40C while idle).

any and all help is greatly appreciated!

thanks
Paul

Best solution

a c 190 K Overclocking
March 15, 2012 3:48:41 PM

Auxtin sensors often report incorrectly, I ignore that reading as habit
gfx card temps normal, its working damn hard to give you your shinies onscreen :) 

and if there is no effect from the fancontroller, I would contact C.P. and mention it to them, you paid good money for it and it should work,
and it doesn't sound like it does :( 
put all sliders to zero, get your ears used to the level, then slam all on full blast, no difference at all?
phonecall time...
Moto
March 15, 2012 5:22:51 PM

correct,i did that... zip audible change... and considering there are so many fans, it should be quite clear.

I just wouldve preferred to avoid CP customer service. Might be more of a pain than its worth...

Thanks
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 15, 2012 5:33:35 PM

Sorry to have to point you that way man,
but I firmly believe that if I pay a company for a product, it does what it should and if not, they rectify things,
also the main reason I prefer to do things myself, I am my own customer support hehe (I never answer the phone lol)
Moto
March 15, 2012 5:39:13 PM

i just emailed their technical support line. if i dont hear anything by tomorrow the phone calls shall begin....

thanks again
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 15, 2012 5:41:22 PM

No probs man, fingers crossed for you for a swift remedy :) 
Moto
March 15, 2012 7:38:22 PM

CP just wrote this:
Currently the issue may be due to the reason that led fans are uncontrollable with fan controllers. Only non-led fans are able to be controlled by fan controllers.

If you are comfortable with computer hardware then it would be best to check if any of the cables may have come loose during shipment. Also if you are comfortable with doing so, please check to see which fans are connected to the fan controller. If you would like to have a tech support agent guide you through the process then please call 888-900-5180 Monday 8am-8pm and 6am-8pm Tues-Fri and Saturday 930am-3pm pacific standard time.

my question is, why sell me the controller if youre installing LED fans?? well, i know the answer to that question but i mean, gimme a break.

i want to know then can i control the FRIO? if not, the fan controller is completely useless and i can return it. it is a minor part in the machine and i can live without it.

a c 190 K Overclocking
March 15, 2012 10:06:37 PM

I would doubt that, ask if anyone here has led fans on a controller, I bet the answer is yes, sounds like foboff territory to me,
And if you were comfortable with computers wouldn't you have built one instead of payong over the odds for their not-working unit?
Sod em mate, return the fancontroller, get refund and politely ask if they intend to offer a goodwill gesture of some sort
Moto
March 16, 2012 12:27:58 PM

I think it would be easier to swap out a few case fans to ones that are controllable... no? on cyberpower the option was Max Case Fans for $9. so i didnt lose much there. i can probably hawk them on ebay for the amount i'd need to buy controllable fans.

i'll have to research a bit...
a c 206 K Overclocking
March 16, 2012 12:45:44 PM

mojorisin23 said:
CP just wrote this:
Currently the issue may be due to the reason that led fans are uncontrollable with fan controllers. Only non-led fans are able to be controlled by fan controllers.

That guy is full of %&%$, (Insert word of choice!), after I read this I tested numerous fans even the Enermax Vegas line fans loaded with LEDs, no problem controlling any of the LED fans with a fan controller, that guy is totally clueless!

Don't trust another word out of his mouth, or fingers!

Your problem could be either a bad fan controller, or the wires are simply not connected to it.
March 16, 2012 12:47:49 PM

So i see on newegg that case fans are a fixed speed. what about the Thermaltake Frio? can i hook that up to a fan controller? i asked that initially but no response on that.

so it looks like a need a case fan that has the ability to change speeds like this one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or is it something to do with the voltage that the controller sends to the fan that modulates the speed?
March 16, 2012 12:57:59 PM

mojorisin23 said:
CP just wrote this:

That statement really made my day. :pt1cable: 

The wires on the fan control are only connector wires. The wires comming from your fans are plugged into them. Which means you have to find the end (connector) of these wires, which should naturally be at the back of the case (depending on how well they did the cable management), and check if the fans are actually plugged in there.

You can hook up any 3pin fan to a fan controller. PWM (4pin) fans can be quite tricky, though.
March 16, 2012 1:01:53 PM

4Ryan6, I've been thinking that as well as nowhere on amazon or newegg does a fan state that.

But how can I test the controller? when i open the case, the controller is in an awkward place where i can't get to the back. i can see it (not a great line of sight, but its mostly visible) and i see wires connected to it. i follow the wires out and it bunches into a mess in a void between the case wall and the outer wall of the case, twists and turns, then goes back into a hole in the case wall behind the FRIO cooler to the mobo. it seems pretty daunting...
March 16, 2012 1:06:53 PM

Like I said, there are wires coming from a fan and wires comming from the fan control. You have to find where (and if) they meet.

Just open up the back of the case, shouldn't be hard to find them, even if they really messed up the cable management.
a c 206 K Overclocking
March 16, 2012 1:34:30 PM

mojorisin23 said:
So i see on newegg that case fans are a fixed speed. what about the Thermaltake Frio? can i hook that up to a fan controller? i asked that initially but no response on that.

so it looks like a need a case fan that has the ability to change speeds like this one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or is it something to do with the voltage that the controller sends to the fan that modulates the speed?

Fan controllers control the voltage sent to the fan, main power goes to the fan controller itself and it is the main distribution point to each individual fan connected to it.

Most buy fan controllers because they have purchased fixed speed high airflow fans, and want to be able to run those fans at full speed when they need the extra cooling for gaming, or lower the voltage/fan speed to quieter levels for surfing the net and such as that.

a c 190 K Overclocking
March 16, 2012 1:37:20 PM

The fancontroller, is it a drivebay unit or is it the unit mounted as part of the case? as far as I can see, that is mounted on the bezel and you should be able to remove that, allowing access to the back of the F.c.
if all looks well I.e. fans are plugged into it, then I would say the fancontroller is defective and ask, no demand (politely ofc) that CP rectify the problem at their cost,replacing either the F.c. or the case as a whole and include a copy of the Email that the cso sent you requesting he/she be trained before being allowed near customers
I've never bought a premade, but damn they make me angry at the crap they try and pull on people
Moto
March 16, 2012 2:08:06 PM

All three of you are right. it is a drivebay mounted controller (NZXT 30w-5Ch) so i should be able to pull it out a bit to get behind it.

I'm new to all this so i'm trying to figure it all out. So the fans are fixed but the controller will just add or remove voltage to make them spin faster/slower... correct?

I will dismantle it this weekend. I tried to follow the wires but between the wall of the Corsair 400R, that divides the case, the wires looping in and out and all plastic tied together, it will be no easy task.

thanks for the help!!
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 16, 2012 2:22:06 PM

It is easy, but as you say daunting to a newcomer, we are here to help guide as you need/want though :) 
yes, the fancontroller just alters the voltage supplied to a fan so at say 6v it spins xxx rpm's but at 12v it spins almost twice as fast,
and don't worry about routing cables, you have a start point, the fan, and a destination, the fancontroller, the only real issue is the route must be shorter than the wire :) 
I am the cable monster here :p  so I'll keep you on the right track, you may want to grab some zipties or electrical tape to help you keep things tidy-ish
Moto
March 16, 2012 2:52:37 PM

Way ahead of you... i ordered a bunch of stuff for the surround sound install i did in my living room. its sweeeeet..... i'm a decent at home audio/video... more of a novice in the comp area, hence my going with CP instead of a home build. actually, as far as home build goes, the only two issues i would have trouble with are: First bootup/windows install (like after you build it, how do u get it going the first time?) and dealing with the mobo. I mean, the mobo isnt really that difficult, but there are a lot of little things going on there and i would rather a "professional" take care of it (even if i have misgivings that there are any at CP). I mean, when you think about it, each component or wire really only fits in its designated slot/plug. so its not THAT difficult...

i will give it the ol' college try tomorrow... the lure of BF3 though is difficult considering i work 50 hours a week and rarely get to play...

a c 190 K Overclocking
March 16, 2012 3:31:26 PM

well if you ever get the inclination to build yourself, (and i recommend you do, its easy :p ) then we're all here to help you man,
Moto
March 23, 2012 9:19:57 AM

Ok... according to the latest email, the case fans are LED and cannot be controlled by the controller by voltage manipulation bc that would continuously change the brightness of the LEDs. I then asked, well what about the THermaltake FRIO, can i at least control that? he responded that the FRIO must be controlled by the mobo only, for obvious reasons that it can automatically kick it up if its too hot. i knew that, but figured i'd be able to overide it with the switch. anyway, looks like the fan controller does nothing in the end. wasted $24. i'll just give up and swap it out at some point and ebay it.
May 10, 2012 4:54:54 PM

Best answer selected by mojorisin23.
!