Xbox 360 and gaming rig.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Does the xbox 360 actually have any anti-aliasing, or any anistropic filtering. When i had it some time ago i'm sure the images were really smooth on the edges, and i could see far and clear into the distance. Although objects appeared bigger because of the smaller resolution. Or is it true that the xbox 360 doesn't actually show any anti-aliasing or anistropic filtering? I noticed when putting the xbox on a pc monitor, and raising the resolution up, to 1440 x 900 along time ago on an old monitor which i have something new, artifacts went missing in the game. Is this because the xbox 360 doesn't really have the power to display images on large resolutions? I have a matx computer with a GTS 250, thermaltake 600watt psu, and phenom ii 720 etc, and i feel that my computer plays games like rainbow six vegas 2 even more smooth than the xbox does at max settings with 4 aa and 8 af on a 1280 x 1024 resolution. But ofcourse if i were to get Far Cry 2 or mirror's edge and max them out it would be a different story.

TheViper

Distinguished
It has AA and AF. All consoles since the N64 have had some form of AA and AF.

And the GTS 250 has more graphical horsepower than either HD console. In fact, high end video cards from 2006 were already graphically superior to the X360 and PS3.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
how much aa and af would be equivilant then to the xbox 360. is it something like 2 aa and 4 af. I try to play my games on maximum 4 aa and 8 af and i actually get smooth performance. In most games like Batlefield 2 and Rainbow Six Vegas 2

TheViper

Distinguished
That's all game dependent. Each game uses the X360 and PS3 hardware in its own way to maximize performance.

Don't worry about trying to emulate the X360 "look"...just run the games on your PC the way they "look" best to you. If that's 2xAA for one game, then use 2xAA for that game. If it's 4xAA and 16xAF for the next game, then use that.

Trying to emulate the same settings as the X360 sounds like more work than it's worth...especially given that it is likely you can achieve better than X360.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
i've been playing frontlines fuel of war. I'm quite miffed how frontlines and turok have verticle syncronising forced and i cannot take it off, even by forcing it off in control panel. So at max i get 60 fps. This is bad because at times of graphical intense moments i get 25 FPS. This is laggy. For games like COD 4, which doesn't have syncronising, i get at the very least 50 FPS, and i get up to 280 FPS. Average 80. With 4 aa and 8 af. Does anyone know ways of getting round this, taking the syncronising off, i tried putting tripple buffering but it does bot all to improve performance, i mean minimum frame rate is just the same.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
i doubt it. Since COD 4 has better or the same graphics as Frontlines does. I never get bellow 50 minimum. i have aa and af on that. I think when it is locked at 60, it suffers because it just acts like it has a roof and when there are graphical intense moments the FPS is going to go down, like it does when there is no roof limiting the FPS, i think the point with having verticle syn is if the game is very old, or that you have something like a ATI 5850 so that the FPS rarely drops bellow 55 FPS. But it has to decrease bellow 60. As i said on COD4 i am enjoying 80 fps and so i am on Rainbow Six Vegas 2, 89. On Battlefield 2 i enjoy straight 100, battlefield 2 is limitted to 100 FPS but my FPS never drops bellow 85, with 4 aa and 8 af, remember i am playing on a 1280x 1024 resolution.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
My gpu i know is just good enough to cope with games with a 128mb graphics requirement which is the majority of games. But obviously all the 256mb and recently newer games like Far Cry 2 i guess my gpu will suffer. COD 4 is about the same as frontlines in graphics requirement if not better. Do you know how to properly unlock sync? I don't think that the GTS 250 can get 25 FPS in frontlines 1280 x 1024 resolution to be honest. With the same settings i play COD 4.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
where's "console"? Also, in frontlines there is this thing called "max framerate". I turn that off it makes no difference still limits to 60 fps. Also this is the same with Turok as well, i would want to know how to take sync of there. I've noticed you've put max FPS 120. Does that mean i can set any say 500 which obviously it won't go any where near but that there's no limitting factor. Since with my graphics card is just good enough to cope with games and is volatile; the FPS decreases and increases quite alot but i never get bellow 45 FPS in the most graphically intense moments maybe 35 for 1 second during one hell of an explosion but then it usually wops up to 80 after that. I think in cod 4 even when i'm fighting 15 people all in the same screen i don't get bellow 58.

TheViper

Distinguished
Sorry, that was for Modern Warfare, not Frontline. You are correct though, you could input any number you like...not just 120.

In Frontline, turn on "Maximize Framerate". That is their term for V-sync.
I also read that turning off Foliage can have a big impact on increasing your frame rates.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
the whole point is that i want to have quality as well as having performance. I should be able to with this card, and this resolution. The Whole problem is that it limits the FPS. On all other games i am able to play them on full settings with aa and af. i put all the settings on control panel on default and i turn aa transparency off an stuff that burdens the graphics card unecesarilly, so it is moderate and i have plain anti-aliasing which still looks good. if i want great fps i can do that easilly by putting the graphics on poor settings. i have tired turning the maximise framerate option off and on but it does nothing. It still limits the FPS to 65 max on both settings. Also don't say that i literally can't get more than 65 FPS with this card for that game. If i were to look at the floor on the game i should exceed way over 100 FPS. Lol. I think if i was playing a game like Counter Strike Source, then verticle syncronising would be good because i can be assured that i should get 55-60 FPS guaranteed. With more powerful games, the graphics card needs to be let open freely to let out as much power as it can. You know what i mean? Eventhough images should tear, i am guessing that is the point of putting sync on to avoid tearing of images.