Sign in with
Your question

Rosewill RNX-GX4 hard reset issue

Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 25, 2010 1:08:02 PM

Hi, I just recently purchased a rosewill rnx-gx4 wireless router. The rosewill website states that it supports open source firmware, and after reading some forums I decided to give it a shot. I downloaded the newest version of tomato and uploaded. The upload went flawlessly and the router restarted, but there was no network. So I tried to do a hard reset, but nothing happened. I held in the reset for 10 seconds as the manual states but still nothing. So I tried 30 seconds. Nothing. The power led stays lit with no indications of it reseting. So I tried a 30-30-30. This time when I plugged the power back in on the last 30 seconds the light starts to blink for about 20 seconds. Still no network. I figured I bricked it and gave up on it. I ordered another one and this time kept the stock firmware on it. I tried to do a hard reset just to see if it would work but the same thing happens. Not sure what to do.
February 25, 2010 3:05:17 PM

Are you sure Tomato will work on this router? I don't see it listed as compatible at their website:

http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

Just because it claims support for open source firmware doesn't mean it will work w/ ANY open source firmware. I suppose it's always possible that routers based on similar chipsets *might* work, but knowing how easy it is to brick these things, I personally would never do it unless the firmware stated the router was supported, explicitly. To do otherwise is truly a roll of the dice.

You’re probably a helluva poker player though! ;) 
m
l
February 25, 2010 9:02:22 PM

It's not on the list but tomato will install on it. Pretty much all of the reviews on Newegg said they successfully installed dd-wrt and tomato. But apparently installing the firmware was not the problem because it did the same thing on the new untouched router.
m
l
May 14, 2011 1:40:56 AM

pumprnickelbred said:
It's not on the list but tomato will install on it. Pretty much all of the reviews on Newegg said they successfully installed dd-wrt and tomato. But apparently installing the firmware was not the problem because it did the same thing on the new untouched router.

I had the same issue. dd-wrt works fine on my Rosewill, but Tomato always bricks it.

You can un-brick your rosewill.

Set your computer's IP address to something on the same subnet as your router (presumably 192.168.1.x)

Use the Cysco Tftp utility (formerly Lynksys-tftp) and pick Rosewill's original .trx firmware that you can download from their site.

Unplug your Rosewill .

Aproximately 10 seconds after plugging it back in there will be a 3 second window where you can flash the firmware.

Plug in your Rosewill, after about 8 seconds hit "Upgrade" on your Tftp utility.

It will update your firmware rom. after about 2 minutes unplug your router and then plug it in again.
Wait about 2 minutes and try pinging your router.

I've unbricked my Rosewill multiple times.
m
l
!