Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Q6600 on Intel G41

Last response: in Overclocking
March 15, 2012 3:24:15 PM

Hi

I unfortunately have a Q6600@2.4Ghz with an intel G41 m/b which i want to OC in order to prevent the CPU from bottle-necking the GPU which I will purchase {either a 6870 / 6950 (out of stock) / 560ti / new model replacing 6950 }.

I dont have any experience in OCing, which i think is quite visible. :D 

Looking forward towards your suggestions

More about : q6600 intel g41

March 16, 2012 1:54:57 AM

anort3 said:
Here is a good pretty much step by step guide to overclocking your Core2Quad.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259899-29-core-overcl...

You have aftermarket cooling right? You will of course need it.

Thanks for the info but i dont have an after market cooler - please suggest some models, will i get any decent performance increase by OCing the CPU with 6870 as a GPU ?
m
l
Related resources
March 16, 2012 2:09:54 AM

anort3 said:
Here is a good pretty much step by step guide to overclocking your Core2Quad.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259899-29-core-overcl...

You have aftermarket cooling right? You will of course need it.

Thant guide is pretty much general, I mean i am stuck a m/b which does not support OCing. How do i OC the CPU now ?
m
l
a c 195 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
a c 227 à CPUs
a c 105 K Overclocking
March 16, 2012 3:01:59 AM

Yeah Intel boards are not what to buy to overclock with. You are pretty much stuck with what you have. The Q6600 will likely bottleneck a HD 6870/6950 due to the stock 2.4Ghz clock speed. You should be thinking more of a 6850 unless you plan on a full system upgrade soon.
m
l
March 16, 2012 7:18:44 AM

anort3 said:
Yeah Intel boards are not what to buy to overclock with. You are pretty much stuck with what you have. The Q6600 will likely bottleneck a HD 6870/6950 due to the stock 2.4Ghz clock speed. You should be thinking more of a 6850 unless you plan on a full system upgrade soon.

There are some software which can help since there are no options in the BIOS... any ideas ????
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 16, 2012 7:56:48 AM

there is no way in the BIOS to set your FSB from 1066 to 1333?
m
l
March 16, 2012 3:04:15 PM

Anonymous said:
there is no way in the BIOS to set your FSB from 1066 to 1333?

It can't be done in BIOS but using other clockgen it can be done
m
l
a c 195 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
a c 227 à CPUs
a c 105 K Overclocking
March 16, 2012 3:56:39 PM

You can try a program like Clockgen but it will not work as well or be as stable as overclocking in BIOS. You will still need aftermarket cooling.
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 16, 2012 4:25:21 PM

bikerider said:
It can't be done in BIOS but using other clockgen it can be done

i would like to suggest to get the most out of your Q6600 to keep your eyes open for a inexpensive (cheap) motherboard with a P35 or P45 chipset. it will help you overclock better.

the G series chipsets, with onboard video, really aren't for the overclocking crowd.
m
l
March 17, 2012 1:10:00 AM

Anonymous said:
i would like to suggest to get the most out of your Q6600 to keep your eyes open for a inexpensive (cheap) motherboard with a P35 or P45 chipset. it will help you overclock better.

the G series chipsets, with onboard video, really aren't for the overclocking crowd.

The P35 chipsets of Gigabyte are available for Rs7500 ~ $150 :o 

I dont have that kind of money, I guess i am stuck with intel dg41rq :cry: 
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 17, 2012 1:13:05 AM

bikerider said:
The P35 chipsets of Gigabyte are available for Rs7500 ~ $150 :o 

I dont have that kind of money, I guess i am stuck with intel dg41rq :cry: 

WOAH!

not a new one waayyyy too expensive and not worth it for an old socket. please excuse my ignorance but you got like Ebay in your country?

something for Rs 3500 that is "gently used."
m
l
March 17, 2012 1:51:13 AM

Anonymous said:
WOAH!

not a new one waayyyy too expensive and not worth it for an old socket. please excuse my ignorance but you got like Ebay in your country?

something for Rs 3500 that is "gently used."

3500 is still too high & that to for a used m/b anyways do you happen to know how to OC intel G41 with setfsb & other such program
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 17, 2012 1:59:04 AM

bikerider said:
3500 is still too high & that to for a used m/b anyways do you happen to know how to OC intel G41 with setfsb & other such program

opps i meant 1500.

i tried once to use a windows program and it didn't go well so, i never used one again. i can't recommend any.
m
l
March 17, 2012 6:58:45 AM

anort3 said:
You can try a program like Clockgen but it will not work as well or be as stable as overclocking in BIOS. You will still need aftermarket cooling.

can you recommend some ?? what else is required besides the clockgen ?
m
l
March 17, 2012 7:01:41 AM

guys what all is required to OC Q6600 on a DG41RQ........... I wont make this mistake again...... just get me through with this one
m
l
a c 195 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
a c 227 à CPUs
a c 105 K Overclocking
March 17, 2012 7:27:42 AM

You are missing the point.

Your board has locked BIOS. There is NO GOOD way to overclock.

The only option you have is to try Clockgen. Even with Clockgen you will need an aftermarket cooler. The only way to know if it will work or how much is to try it.

Clockgen is NOT a good way to overclock and will not go as high or be as stable as a BIOS overclock.

Get a HD6850 to match your CPU and save the rest for a complete upgrade.
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 17, 2012 7:32:05 AM

Although your Intel DG41RQ does not support any BIOS overclocking, there is a way, albeit risky, to overclock your system.
What you need to do is perform a BSEL Mod, possibly a voltage mod as well, directly to the contact pads on your Q6600.
If successful, the BSEL mod will switch your CPU to using a 333MHz FSB, resulting in a 3.0GHz final speed.

Just be aware that modding your system in this way, while potentially reversible, could also destroy it if applied improperly.
I would also suggest to upgrade your stock CPU cooler before attempting this.

Best luck!
outlw
a c 195 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
a c 227 à CPUs
a c 105 K Overclocking
March 17, 2012 7:36:50 AM

outlw6669 said:
Although your Intel DG41RQ does not support any BIOS overclocking, there is a way, albeit risky, to overclock your system.
What you need to do is perform a BSEL Mod, possibly a voltage mod as well, directly to the contact pads on your Q6600.
If successful, the BSEL mod will switch your CPU to using a 333MHz FSB, resulting in a 3.0GHz final speed.

Just be aware that modding your system in this way, while potentially reversible, could also destroy it if applied improperly.

Best luck!
outlw

Since Clockgen is too complicated for him I would imagine a BSEL mod might be a bad idea for him to try ;) 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 17, 2012 7:47:56 AM

Probably, but a little extra knowledge is never a bad thing.
m
l
March 19, 2012 1:56:01 PM

outlw6669 said:

Best luck!
outlw

I will have to do a mod for the voltage as well wont I? Another question is that by how much value I can in increase the FSB using setfsb without changing the voltage
m
l
March 19, 2012 1:56:49 PM

anort3 said:
You are missing the point.

Your board has locked BIOS. There is NO GOOD way to overclock.

The only option you have is to try Clockgen. Even with Clockgen you will need an aftermarket cooler. The only way to know if it will work or how much is to try it.

Clockgen is NOT a good way to overclock and will not go as high or be as stable as a BIOS overclock.

Get a HD6850 to match your CPU and save the rest for a complete upgrade.

By how much value I can in increase the FSB using setfsb without changing the voltage ?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 19, 2012 2:02:00 PM

How much voltage you need all depends on how good your chip is.
My old Q6600 ran at 3.0GHz at less than the VID, many others require a healthy voltage bump.

I would suggest trying your overclock at stock voltage first, only increasing it if your system is not stable.
If you are using the BSEL mod method, try the smallest voltage bump possible (1.4V) first.
Make sure to keep an eye on your temps when stability testing your overclocked CPU!
m
l
March 19, 2012 4:41:13 PM

outlw6669 said:
How much voltage you need all depends on how good your chip is.
My old Q6600 ran at 3.0GHz at less than the VID, many others require a healthy voltage bump.

I would suggest trying your overclock at stock voltage first, only increasing it if your system is not stable.
If you are using the BSEL mod method, try the smallest voltage bump possible (1.4V) first.
Make sure to keep an eye on your temps when stability testing your overclocked CPU!

My temp. of core0 - 100C & others b/w 93-97 C at full load. & all cores are at 60C at no load.
I have had my CPU changed 3 times & tried 2 different models of m/b {changed them 3 times as well} but i am still facing this issue.

At the moment i have a cheap PSU the ratings are +3.3v(28A) +5V(34A) +12(14A) -12v(.5A) 5Vsb(2A) is it sufficient to try OCing on temp biases.

One more thing before i try too hard how do things get back to default in case i overdo something :whistle: 
m
l
March 19, 2012 5:12:44 PM

Is this is !!!!

Though my system has crashed twice & i got BOD once............ so i came back to stock
I have noticed that the VID increases automatically is it normal ?? I mean it was 1.12v earlier, it reached upto 1.35v now it is fluctuating b/w both :pt1cable: 

I guess that all i need is an aftermarket cooler & i am ready to go ? :sol: 
m
l
a c 195 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
a c 227 à CPUs
a c 105 K Overclocking
March 19, 2012 5:44:13 PM

You will need a new power supply to run any of the vidoe cards you listed in the first post.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 20, 2012 7:59:56 AM

Yes, I would agree that you will need a new PSU.

Looking at your current temps however, you should immediately halt all overclocking attempts!
Your temps are way to high and you will damage your system if it keeps running so hot.
Intel specifies the maximum allowable temperature for a G0 stepping Q6600 to be 71°C and you should strive to keep max load temps below this.

Some voltage fluctuations are normal as your processor steps through its P-states.
When it is under little load, your multiplier will drop to 6x and voltage will decrease.
When you place a load on it, the multiplier will increase back to 9x and your VID voltage will be set.
Just a simple power saving mechanism and nothing to worry about.

As for how you would change back to stock settings, what method are you using to overclock?
If you are using a BSEL mod you would simply remove the conductive material connecting the pads.
If you are using SetFSB, I expect booting into safe mode and uninstalling would do the trick, but you should probably read the help file to be sure...
m
l
March 20, 2012 4:50:12 PM

anort3 said:
You will need a new power supply to run any of the vidoe cards you listed in the first post.

I understand that for any of the above said GPU i would need a new PSU which I will buy within 2-3 days {confused b/w sesonic 520W - Rs 3800~$76 & Corsair CX600 - Rs3600~$72}. For simply OCing do i need to worry about a new PSU ??
m
l
March 20, 2012 4:54:14 PM

outlw6669 said:
Yes, I would agree that you will need a new PSU.

Looking at your current temps however, you should immediately halt all overclocking attempts!
Your temps are way to high and you will damage your system if it keeps running so hot.
Intel specifies the maximum allowable temperature for a G0 stepping Q6600 to be 71°C and you should strive to keep max load temps below this.

Some voltage fluctuations are normal as your processor steps through its P-states.
When it is under little load, your multiplier will drop to 6x and voltage will decrease.
When you place a load on it, the multiplier will increase back to 9x and your VID voltage will be set.
Just a simple power saving mechanism and nothing to worry about.

As for how you would change back to stock settings, what method are you using to overclock?
If you are using a BSEL mod you would simply remove the conductive material connecting the pads.
If you are using SetFSB, I expect booting into safe mode and uninstalling would do the trick, but you should probably read the help file to be sure...

Thanks for pointing the Temp issue, which cooler offers best bang for bucks you can recommend. Also suggest which PSU I should opt for.

I have also read something regarding changing memory ratios so here is my screen shot after OCing

m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 21, 2012 12:12:45 PM

The Cooler Master 212 is an excellent performer and is quite inexpensive.
I think it would work quite well for your needs.

Looking at your latest screen shots, your system is running way to hot!
Even your lowest idle temps are near to your processors limit!
You really need to leave this computer turned off until you have a chance to replace your cooler.
Not doing so could cause your system to fail.

To your RAM, what was the stock speed and ratio?
It is possible that the BIOS is automatically adjusting the FSB => RAM ratio to keep the BIOS set speed accurate.
More likely, if you are using a Windows based utility, is that the RAM is automatically overclocking when you bump the FSB.
If this is the case, I would recommend using a lower FSB => RAM ratio in the BIOS to keep the RAM speed in spec.
m
l
March 21, 2012 1:48:58 PM

outlw6669 said:
The Cooler Master 212 is an excellent performer and is quite inexpensive.
I think it would work quite well for your needs.

Looking at your latest screen shots, your system is running way to hot!
Even your lowest idle temps are near to your processors limit!
You really need to leave this computer turned off until you have a chance to replace your cooler.
Not doing so could cause your system to fail.

To your RAM, what was the stock speed and ratio?
It is possible that the BIOS is automatically adjusting the FSB => RAM ratio to keep the BIOS set speed accurate.
More likely, if you are using a Windows based utility, is that the RAM is automatically overclocking when you bump the FSB.
If this is the case, I would recommend using a lower FSB => RAM ratio in the BIOS to keep the RAM speed in spec.

Thanks for the cooler suggestion, but i dont know the ram ratio, i checked in the BIOS the settings are "automatic" 6-6-6-18.

How do i lower FSB=>RAM ratio ?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 21, 2012 2:14:17 PM

Looking at your screen shots, it seems you have DDR2 800 RAM in your system, and you should try to keep it there for maximum stability.
To change this in the BIOS, you would modify the 'Automatic' field either to show 667MHz or a ratio of 4 => 5.
This will result in your memory running at the correct 400MHz after you have bumped the FSB to 333MHz.
m
l
March 21, 2012 3:32:24 PM

outlw6669 said:
Looking at your screen shots, it seems you have DDR2 800 RAM in your system, and you should try to keep it there for maximum stability.
To change this in the BIOS, you would modify the 'Automatic' field either to show 667MHz or a ratio of 4 => 5.
This will result in your memory running at the correct 400MHz after you have bumped the FSB to 333MHz.

Wont this result in a slower system ?? When OCed the frequency goes up to 499Mhz i.e over 99Mhz that rated value. :( 

Will but the cooler you mentioned by the end of this week & HD6870 but still confused b/w PSU CX600 or Sesonic 520 S12
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 21, 2012 8:43:14 PM

No, your system would still be faster as your CPU would be overclocked.
Just your RAM would be at its stock, and stable, default speed.
If you feel like further tweaking and stability testing, by all means, give the RAM a boost as well :) 
Just be aware, overclocking the RAM will have a minimal impact on system performance.
m
l
March 22, 2012 2:31:06 AM

outlw6669 said:
No, your system would still be faster as your CPU would be overclocked.
Just your RAM would be at its stock, and stable, default speed.
If you feel like further tweaking and stability testing, by all means, give the RAM a boost as well :) 
Just be aware, overclocking the RAM will have a minimal impact on system performance.

what could be the consequences if i let the settings remain at 'automatic ' ? Would it reduce the life of the RAM ?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 22, 2012 6:51:49 AM

No, it would probably not reduce the lifespan of your RAM by any noticeable amount.
It will however increase your RAM speed from 400MHz to 500MHz, which could cause it to become unstable.
If you do want to keep your RAM overclocked, you may need to increase the RAM voltage in the BIOS and you will defiantly want to test it for stability.
m
l
March 22, 2012 4:45:05 PM

outlw6669 said:
No, it would probably not reduce the lifespan of your RAM by any noticeable amount.
It will however increase your RAM speed from 400MHz to 500MHz, which could cause it to become unstable.
If you do want to keep your RAM overclocked, you may need to increase the RAM voltage in the BIOS and you will defiantly want to test it for stability.

Today I added another 2 Gb of RAM and automatically the RAM frequency changes to what you had asked me to do

PSU suggestion please :love: 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 22, 2012 9:12:49 PM

Well, both Corsair and Seasonic generally make excellent PSUs.
If I had a choice between the two, I would probably chose the Seasonic, as Seasonic manufacturers their own units.
Either has more than enough power to handle your system with any single GPU card you throw at it.

Seasonic S12 II Reviews:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Seasonic-S12II-B...
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...
m
l
March 23, 2012 7:42:35 AM

outlw6669 said:
Well, both Corsair and Seasonic generally make excellent PSUs.
If I had a choice between the two, I would probably chose the Seasonic, as Seasonic manufacturers their own units.
Either has more than enough power to handle your system with any single GPU card you throw at it.

Seasonic S12 II Reviews:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Seasonic-S12II-B...
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

will i see a noticeable difference b/w 6950 vs 6870 ? 6950 is very hard to find right now so the coming up 7850 is the logical alternate but unfortunately that also is not available
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 23, 2012 7:50:53 AM

Yes, the 6950 will be around 10-15% faster than a 6870.
Plus it has the possibility to be unlocked into a 6970, which will give it a further boost in performance.

At this point though, I would just get a 7850.
They most definatly are In Stock and offer higher performance with lower power draw than a 6950.
I understand they are also excellent overclockers and, being based off the GCN arch, it will offer much better compute performance.
m
l
March 23, 2012 8:10:04 AM

outlw6669 said:
Yes, the 6950 will be around 10-15% faster than a 6870.
Plus it has the possibility to be unlocked into a 6970, which will give it a further boost in performance.

At this point though, I would just get a 7850.
They most definatly are In Stock and offer higher performance with lower power draw than a 6950.
I understand they are also excellent overclockers and, being based off the GCN arch, it will offer much better compute performance.

Newegg wont send the product to India & amazon wants 4000 bucks approx $80 for shipping & cant get the mail in rebates + this model is not available in india. would you courier me one :D  I will pay for it though
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 23, 2012 8:47:01 AM

Yeah, that is unfortunate.
Of the three, I still think the 7850 is the best option and worth a bit of a wait.
If it is unavailable though, either of the other cards will still offer pretty good gaming performance.
m
l
March 30, 2012 1:49:29 AM

Best answer selected by bikerider.
m
l
!