Sign in with
Your question

Acer Grief

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Acer
Last response: in Motherboards
May 4, 2010 11:15:44 PM

Hello all. I hope someone here can end a few week's misery for me and help me out.

A friend asked me to repair his computer. It's an Acer M1641 desktop. After inspection I discovered that the motherboard was faulty. I replaced it with a Gigabyte board, and tried to boot up. That's when he told me that he had an error message saying that some files were corrupt. :(  I had no success in getting Windows Vista to run. I tried a system restore from within the options that come up but to no avail. I tried te repair the system but again no success. Ultimately I reckon it'll have to go back to factory settings and begin again.
Herein lies the problem, as I can't get it back to factory settings. I tried Alt + F10, but it didn't even function! Any tips would be helpful in this little problem.

Thanks in advance, nohairleft

More about : acer grief

a c 156 V Motherboard
May 5, 2010 12:59:15 PM

Well, you know what they say, "No good deed goes unpunished." :) 

Gigabyte motherboards have a "Clear CMOS" header on the motherboard.

Read the manual. I'd look at mine, but I am taking a short break from moving right now. Look at the drawing of the motherboard. I think G'byte labels it "CLR_CMOS".

The reason that the Windows installation died was because the new motherboard requires different chipset drivers.

May 5, 2010 1:19:55 PM

The corrupt file message means that a file is incorrect to the system records which could also extend to registry. Technically, this shouldn't happen when just changing a Mobo.

I don't think changing the setting will restore Vista, try a complete re-install or boot off of Windows Vista CD to do a repair (noting what you said already that repairing didn't work).

Note: Alt+F10 might not be the key combination to get to the BIOS to change the settings.
May 8, 2010 11:37:43 PM

Thanks for the tips and i'll get a recovery disc to try the repair. I'll keep you posted as to how it goes. :) 
!