Sign in with
Your question

Yes another which RAM question

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
May 5, 2010 2:20:55 AM

:pfff: 

I am led to belive that one or both of my current OCZ reapers are playing me up some what comparing what other users can do with thier reapers, with the same mobo and cpu as me.

I have found a nice anatech article regarding my mobo and it shown quite a few settings of which it will boot, but in my case it didn't the BIOS got stuck....they seem not happy to go to 1200 Mhz even if I over volt them, they will go unstable if I tamper with the timing even at 1066. This set seems to be a bad set as they do work but only at what they are supposed to run at, so no grounds to send them back, but they are limiting my max overclock or I have to run them at 900

my current RAM is OCZ reaper PC8500, they can run at CAS of 5(5-5-5-15) at 1066 for 2.2 volts

So my question is what RAM is best for my rampage formula? its got one of the leastest BIOSs

More about : ram question

a b } Memory
May 5, 2010 7:02:47 AM

What's your budget ?
Brands like Corsair,G.skill,Crucial... are good
a b } Memory
May 5, 2010 1:34:51 PM

I have a set of $40 Crucial DDR2, 2x2gig for 4 gig, of 1066 memory rated at 1200mhz, that will go 1200mhz really easy, at 1.8 volts. 6-6-6-18. I have been pretty happy with my Crucial memory.
Now...what I always tell people is when you buy memory, It is extremely important to look at the default voltage. Your memory has some nice tight timings, but look at the voltage it requires to run! Now, if that set had been defaulted at 1.8 or 1.9 volts, I would have thought that memory is very high quality, and would have a lot of overclocking room. But if the memory by default is running at an already high voltage, it is doing already about all it is going to do, it just ain't going to do much more and that is that.
Look for memory with tight timings, and low voltage's, narrow your choices down to these first, then go from there.
Related resources
May 5, 2010 10:35:35 PM

yeah its set at that and I got my MCH overclocked, thats not the memory itself or its domain its the NB, okay it puts a lot of pressure on my NB but it saves or the effort of going through all the different timing combos, you can do that too through

my budget is around £100 i found same CAS 5 Kingstons http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY...

they also sell a few others http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY...

I know my rampage is fussy
a b } Memory
May 5, 2010 11:06:37 PM

Amg said:
yeah its set at that and I got my MCH overclocked, thats not the memory itself or its domain its the NB, okay it puts a lot of pressure on my NB but it saves or the effort of going through all the different timing combos, you can do that too through

my budget is around £100 i found same CAS 5 Kingstons http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY...

they also sell a few others http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY...

I know my rampage is fussy

Personally, I would get the Patriot memory over the Kingston.
a b } Memory
May 6, 2010 7:04:40 AM

They have pretty much the same specs and both are good
May 7, 2010 11:04:18 PM

yeah, I am going to push the ram a bit as well my current don't seem to like it much plus need a hell of a boot in voltage and I m scared to give em anymore than 2.2 volts and I won't go over 1.7 volts on my NB just to overclock my RAM .....

also I m aware of my mobos history with RAM, when I brought it I knew I may have problems with RAM
May 10, 2010 11:08:32 AM

right I got the KingstonX set as it was the cheapest, I should be getting them tomoz along with my HDD, oh blast i forgot a few cable ties oh well :pfff: 
a b } Memory
May 10, 2010 1:55:59 PM

Congrats on the purchase,hope you enjoy it :) 
May 11, 2010 12:09:16 AM

yeah i found out they need 2.2 volts as well >_>(kinstons) unless I drop off to 5-5-5-18 what difference would that make ? in latency

any reason why my reapers won't clock anymore than 1066 and stable ? I guess I ll find out if my slots are duff or not soon enough
a b } Memory
May 11, 2010 8:45:31 AM

Well in the specs it says:Timing Reference: 5-5-5-18 at +1.8V / 5-5-5-15 at +2.2V
And both are good,but the RAM will run a little cooler with the first timing/voltage
!