Sign in with
Your question

Spiritus to clean thermal paste?

Last response: in Overclocking
March 16, 2012 1:27:45 AM

The only thing I could find around my house that was pure alcohol is spiritus. It contains 96% alcohol, would that be a "effective" method to clean my CPU and heatsink with? And in general, is spiritus safe to use to clean thermal paste?
March 16, 2012 2:06:40 AM

I would use rubbing alcohol which you put on an area of skin before a shot. That's the best and it only costs 99 cents to $1.00 depending on where you go.
m
l
March 16, 2012 2:09:41 AM

I agree with previous poster, you can pick up some rubbing alcohol at almost any local store for a dollar or two. Personally, I also like to use acetone to clean off thermal paste and then use alcohol.
m
l
Related resources
March 16, 2012 2:15:03 AM

@ I heard that rubbing alcohol indeed is a good bet, but i'm interested to hear if the Spiritus i have would be okay, ( since it has 96% alcohol )
m
l
March 16, 2012 3:53:17 AM

arvalin_dakaria said:
I would say yes since it is composed of a high concentration of ethanol but I have no experience to go off of.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/263066-28-methylated-...

Hmm... this has convinced me even more to try it. I'll test it out tomorrow using a ton of Q-tips and the Ethanol Spirt.
m
l
March 16, 2012 4:07:05 AM

Awesome, please post your results when you're done. I've become curious now as well. :) 
m
l
!