Flap

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Hi guys, i was wondering which is considered, or is near by, being the most realible HD in a long term. I would probably use that to backup data on it and then disconnect it to keep it safe.

What would u suggest?

Thanks =)

Solution
WD 3TB's are not that bad with compatible hardware, but some other I have seen ... had problems. Not quite worked out yet.

If u just unplug them after back up, cheapest are just fine.

Make sure u scan the drives for errors before u put back up on it!

Flap

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
I specify that i need to backup more than 10TB of data twice, because i can't afford to lose data at all, since i'm a photographer and i need to save it at least for 5-6 years!

Flap

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Of course not. I plan to back it up on 10 (2tb each) or even 20 (1tb each) hard drives. I decided that the best way to back it up is to backup the data on each drive until it's full, then disconnect it and put it away until i need it. In this sense, which would be the one lasting the most without getting broken?
And how often should i switch it on to keep it working?

I know, but its available all the time and I think the hardware will not fail. I myself, a photographer, I have now 6TB of unprocessed photos so I have it with backed up on about 16 drives. I am feeling his pain.

All WD drives, but I just got 2TB Seagate, because I could not wait and local Fry's had non, in Phoenix, AZ. So far good.

I feel your pain as well, I worked with satellite imagery but not anymore (luckily that part of the research is finished for my project).

The internet infrastructure is falling behind our needs. I have no idea when I can get gigabit internet connection. My current speed for upload is about 1Mbps so it will take me about 7 months of continuous upload to backup my main 2TB drive. I don't have the infrastructure, so even if I want to, I will have to wait a long time before I can use that service.

Well, I have an easy back up. No OS in that one, I redo an image if I don't like something.

BTW, the only drive that died on me was Maxtor about 10yrs ago, and 1 Western digital Raptor 74GB after 4 years of series obuse(got bad sectors beyond repair.), so I RMA'd it and the one they sent me was DOA.

Knock, knock on the wood WD is really good to me. I have also WD TV Live Hub Media Player w/ 1TB of Internal Storage.

WD is working with my pains. I used maybe 30-35 WD's. All internals. I also sell them when size able upgrade on market happens.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1456/1/

Flap

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
So WD is the choice. Many people recommend Seagate as well. No doubt these two are the brands to go with :)

Therefore i need a HD from these brands that has a very good reliability. Most of the times the HD with excellent realibility have very long warranties (heard of a Seagate hard drive with 5 years warranty!!!)

On this way, i'm planning to buy a stock of HDs in such way. Which exact HD should i go with, in your view?

Thanks btw :D

Are u going just plain HDD and unplug them? Internal? External?

I do just internal 2x everything. Make sure u have late Motherboard that supports 3TB.

I use 2TB for back up. 3TB still has some issues. Price per GB is much better than 3TB, and no issues.

I would go with SATA III / 6.0Gb 3 year warranty.

In 3 years u can buy 6,7,8TB maybe even more than 10TB drives.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136891

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007603%20600003269%20600003300&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=14%7C22-136-514%5E22-136-514-TS%2C22-148-681%5E22-148-681-TS%2C22-136-891%5E22-136-891-TS

That's me, I am sure there are more ideas.

BTW, the Seagate drive $79.99 is only 2yrs warr.

Flap

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
I will use as mobo Asrock Extreme4 Gen 3 z68 (new build coming soon).

IMHO i prefer Sata II/ 3.0gb HD mechanical drives cause they don't even full the bandwith with the sata II; in addiction they are cheaper and probably more reliable because of the age of the sata II interface.

I know about the 3 tb drives, but i sincerely don't want to mess with GTP partitions (as i remember) so i would go with 2Tb drives!

Any help in this case? Thanks, we're very close to solution!

WD 3TB's are not that bad with compatible hardware, but some other I have seen ... had problems. Not quite worked out yet.

If u just unplug them after back up, cheapest are just fine.

Make sure u scan the drives for errors before u put back up on it!

Solution

Flap

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011

About the Enterprise series, u gave a me a great suggestion, and i thank you for it....I will explain my thoughts about it in order that other people will understand my choice: since I'm looking for an HD without special features (high speed, high Cache...etc.) except for reliability, they are out of my willings: this type of disks are optimized for RAIDs and intense use, stuff i don't need. Because of these features that Enterprise HDs have, their price is very high. Out of budget to me :)

After all this questions, u helped me with my doubts. I decided to go with 2tb HD (still have to decide which one) with 3 years warranty at least. U defenetely deserve best answer!

bebangs

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
It sound like you need your own SAN or a backup solutions. Would you consider it?

HP's
http://www.hp.com/sbso/busproducts_storage.html

Dell's
http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/storage-products

IBM's
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/storage/?lnk=mhpr

your choice - 10HDDs or go for a complete backup solutions.

i think offline Tape cartridges for long term backup archiving.
SAN backup or Tape backups. You should give them a call.
SAN if you want an extra space available online storage all the time.
or go for Tape solutions, retrieve the data that you just need.

sorry, i know it's the expensive route. just give them a call then ask yourself if it's worth it. 10tb sounds too big and too risky to store on a harddisk.

TRENDING THREADS