Q about Sims 2 and computer system

Can a video card cause the Sims 2 to run slow? I know I need a new one yet I
frustrate myself with the one i got and play at a choppy rate. I even tried
increasing the refresh rate. I have 384 MB of ram and 64 MB of that is
shared with the video card...I know I have to have a video card but I was
wondering if this also causes my game to run slow?

Sim Gal
2 answers Last reply
More about sims computer system

    LadyBakula wrote:
    > Can a video card cause the Sims 2 to run slow? I know I need a new
    > one yet I frustrate myself with the one i got and play at a choppy
    > rate. I even tried increasing the refresh rate. I have 384 MB of ram
    > and 64 MB of that is shared with the video card...I know I have to
    > have a video card but I was wondering if this also causes my game to
    > run slow?

    Yup. Onboard video cards like you apparently have just aren't very
    good at handling 3D graphics, so the net result is low frame
    rate/choppiness.

    Good news though, the sims 2 isn't a very power-hungry game.. like Doom 3
    for example. Therefore, no need to buy the top pf the line X800 ATI card to
    play it. I play it with an Athlon 2700+, 512MB and a ATI Radeon 9700 Pro.
    That video card is 128MB I believe.. T&L also. It's a year or two old so the
    price is way down there but it allows me to run The Sim 2 on full graphic
    settings with highest pass anti-aliasing without a hicup.

    > Yup. Onboard video cards like you apparently have just aren't very
    > good at handling 3D graphics, so the net result is low frame
    > rate/choppiness.

Sims Graphics Cards Games Video Games Product