Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Power
  • HD
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
January 21, 2010 6:51:45 PM

whats the best psu at 450w to 500w(enough to power a hd 5770)?

More about : psu 450 500w

January 21, 2010 6:58:58 PM

Where do you shop?
Do you have a price range?

Go with aford10's suggestion
Related resources
January 21, 2010 7:02:59 PM

Yup. OCZ is great quality (especially because they own PCPC now).

The only thing is, you might lose a bit of wattage due to having 2 12V rails, and being semi-modular. It should be minimal however.

This is one of the best too:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

But from a value standpoint, the OCZ is by far the best.
a c 248 ) Power supply
January 21, 2010 7:51:38 PM

Zinosys - You are only partially correct.

OCZ acquired PC Power & Cooling in 2007. However, PC Power & Cooling never made any power supplies. PC Power & Cooling is not at manufacturer. Both PC Power & Cooling and OCZ power supplies are made by other companies. The PCP&C Silencer series was manufacturered by Seasonic. That's what made them so great. The other PCP&C series are made by another company. OCZ power supplies are made by half a dozen manufacturers. Only a small number of OCZ power supplies can be considered high quality.

Most power supplies advertised as having mutiple +12 volt rails do not have true mutiple rails. Instead mutiple rails can be thought of as "virtual rails". It was an advertising gimmick. There was a big stink about it a few years ago. There are a few high end, high wattage power supplies that really do have multiple rails. They were designed for use with high end systems that have 3 or 4 power hungry video cards installed.

All modular and hybrid modular power supplies do not lose any power. You're probably referring to resistance which is so small as to be completely insignificant for the typical gamer and enthusiast.
a b ) Power supply
January 21, 2010 8:09:52 PM

Can't go wrong with a Corsair
a b ) Power supply
January 21, 2010 8:31:05 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
Both PC Power & Cooling and OCZ power supplies are made by other companies. The PCP&C Silencer series was manufacturered by Seasonic. That's what made them so great.

Yep.

Seasonic also make some PSUs for Antec (like the NeoHE 430) and Corsair (like the VX450 and TX650).

Generally, I recommend Seasonic PSU as I have been using them for several years. But Corsair and PC Power & Cooling PSUs are also very good; at least the ones made by Seasonic. :) 
a c 243 ) Power supply
January 21, 2010 9:22:56 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
The other PCP&C series are made by another company.

Wintact was the oem for the Turbo-cool line.
January 21, 2010 9:29:04 PM

I got a ocz z series 550 for 20 bucks on boxing day ;D,and powers a gtx260 with 666core fine
a c 248 ) Power supply
January 21, 2010 11:19:49 PM

jaquarskx - I've been using Corsair exclusively for the past 5 years or so. For my new personal pc I sprung for a Seasonic X-650 Gold Certified psu. Brand new energy efficient design. I've got my old Corsair HX620 in my emergency backup pc.

delluser1 - Yeah, I know and I had just posted about it in another thread but I couldn't remember the manufacturer's name and I was too lazy to look it up.

In the meantime, I am a very happy camper. I installed Windows 7 Pro 64 in my new personal Intel Core i7 860 pc last weekend. I just finished installing and testing the last of my mainstream applications and updates. It's a bloody miracle! Everything works flawlessly. No BSOD! No freezing, stuttering, or strange things happened. I can't believe there were no compatibility issues. Absolutely amazing! :D 
January 22, 2010 10:21:38 AM

i live in uk and my buget is below £60

my first corsaw 550w is a faulty one so they dont give me a good impression.

i was gona get a OCZ Stealth Xtream 500W PSU but i found out it only have 2 sata conector along the same wire. and i dont think it can conect both dvd reader and the harddrive together.
a b ) Power supply
January 22, 2010 10:55:21 AM

I have the OCZ Fatal1ty, that I linked above. It's got plenty of SATA connections. It's also modular, so any unneeded cables can be left out.
January 22, 2010 11:17:47 AM

so thats what modular mean XD. is it quiet? i think i am gona get that one
a b ) Power supply
January 22, 2010 12:33:45 PM

Whisper quiet
!