Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SSD as Boot Drive with Separate RAID

Last response: in Systems
November 5, 2009 1:37:04 AM

I have just built a Win 7 machine for HD video editing with a Gigabyte P55 UD6 Motherboard. I have successfully installed Win 7 and Adobe CS4 on the sole SSD which I wish to use as the boot drive.

I also have 4 1TB WD Black drives that I wish to use in either a RAID10 or RAID5 configuration. I can't figure out how to configure the MOBO to recognize the SSD as the boot drive after I put the HDD's in RAID mode. It tries to boot off of the DVD drive which has no disc in it, so it requests insertion of a disc. It doesn't matter if or how the 4 discs are configured in RAID mode. As long as I indicate the mode for those SATA drives is RAID, it looks to the DVD drive for boot instructions. When I switch that SATA bank to DISABLED it finds and properly boots off of the SSD (at light speed).

How can I get t to recognize the SSD as the boot drive while simulaneously getting it to recognize the RAID volume for the 4 HDDs?

Thanks.
November 5, 2009 1:59:56 AM

What is your mobo? Also, you've probably tried this, but check the BIOS boot order after you activate the RAID. It should be within the same BIOS interface you used to activate-deactivate the RAID array.
m
l
November 5, 2009 3:08:40 AM

r_manic said:
What is your mobo? Also, you've probably tried this, but check the BIOS boot order after you activate the RAID. It should be within the same BIOS interface you used to activate-deactivate the RAID array.

As I stated MOBO is a Gigabyte P55-UD6

And, yes, I put the SSD first in the boot priority stack.
m
l
Related resources
November 5, 2009 3:28:43 AM

Did you put the HDD's in RAID mode prior to installing windows? Also make sure all the HDD's are on the intel RAID controller.
m
l
November 5, 2009 10:22:33 AM

No, I didn't. I first installed Win 7 on the SSD. I assumed that would be fine since I should be able to install the OS on the SSD prior to obtaining extra (non-boot) hard drives. Is this not correct?

As to SATA controllers, there are three on this mobo to choose from. I chose the only one that accommodates more than two drives, since I am really interested in RAID5.
m
l

Best solution

November 5, 2009 1:34:38 PM

I'm assuming the blue connectors belong to the intel controller, use them. You have to set the controller to RAID mode prior to installing. Hit Cntrl+I during startup and configure the drives as you need. Then boot into the install disk and install.
November 6, 2009 12:42:21 AM

PsyKhiqZero said:
I'm assuming the blue connectors belong to the intel controller, use them. You have to set the controller to RAID mode prior to installing. Hit Cntrl+I during startup and configure the drives as you need. Then boot into the install disk and install.

That did the trick. Thanks.
m
l
!